Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting At The Clutch.

Liason909

Hey guys just a quick question so I can gauge this job, what is involved with getting to the clutch? Is there a subframe that needs removed to let the gear box drop out, and should I be thinking about replaceing the clutch slave sylinder at the same time? Only 27000 miles so I thought the slave cylinder would be alright?

Thanks in advance!

Yep ive just done mine, it can be done with out removing the subframe but its a pain in the *****, i just removed the subframe.

Remember to mark the subframe against the chassis otherwise you run the risk of the steering wheel sitting of centre or the car crabbing down the road.

I had my box out in about 2 hours with some faffing around (breakfast lol), its not that bad of job to do.

Spray some release oil on all the bolts, to aid easy removal.

I would leave the slave cylinder unless its showing signs of leaking.

If you need more help just ask, if i dont reply send me a PM as im not online much.

Hey ,

Wonder if you can help with a problem that might be the clutch or engine mounts.

My 1.6 has over the last week developed a lot of judder at the biting point. (52k miles)

My old avensis did the same but there was always a small leak of oil around the cluch bellhousing, but not a hint of oil on the corolla.

I had a look at the engine mounts as its said these can also cause judder.

The offside horizontal one looks fine with the rubber attached all around the outer metal ring.

However looking at the nearside and rear vertical mounts the bolts are not in the centre, more between centre and bottom, and at the top of the ring the rubber does not touch, you can almost get a finger in the gap - is that normal ??

Wondered how you changed your own clutch, do you have access to a proper car lift or can it be done with the car just up on jacks and axle stands ?

Can the gearbox etc be lifted out by one man or is it two man or hoist affair ?

thanks

Hey ,

Wonder if you can help with a problem that might be the clutch or engine mounts.

My 1.6 has over the last week developed a lot of judder at the biting point. (52k miles)

My old avensis did the same but there was always a small leak of oil around the cluch bellhousing, but not a hint of oil on the corolla.

I had a look at the engine mounts as its said these can also cause judder.

The offside horizontal one looks fine with the rubber attached all around the outer metal ring.

However looking at the nearside and rear vertical mounts the bolts are not in the centre, more between centre and bottom, and at the top of the ring the rubber does not touch, you can almost get a finger in the gap - is that normal ??

Wondered how you changed your own clutch, do you have access to a proper car lift or can it be done with the car just up on jacks and axle stands ?

Can the gearbox etc be lifted out by one man or is it two man or hoist affair ?

thanks

Hi would there be any chance you could take a pic of the mounts in question?

I did it at my work and used a two poster ramp. The box can be lifted in and out with just one person but its so much easier to get someone to help out, its not a very heavy gearbox.

I put a transmission jack under the engine and lowered it down enough to clear the chassis rails.

Hi would there be any chance you could take a pic of the mounts in question?

I did it at my work and used a two poster ramp. The box can be lifted in and out with just one person but its so much easier to get someone to help out, its not a very heavy gearbox.

I put a transmission jack under the engine and lowered it down enough to clear the chassis rails.

Hi,

Was able to get some pics, which shows that unlike the solid offside one, the rear and nearside seem to have rather differently designed rubbers, however not too sure what is normal, the nearside would seem to look ok but not sure about that long opening on the rear - normal or not ??

Reved the engine up and down while watching it, only the slightest of forward and back movement, nothing that looks wrong.

The Judder was not really evident over the weekend ( a 1 hour and 4 hour drives ) but know it is there once fully hot so am perhaps being very carefull with the clutch pedal.

As for changing the clutch / oil seals, well seems you had fully garage facilities with those jacks and lift - so for me, seems it's a paid for job if it does need a new one.

From other posts seem the Lux clutches are the ones to get ..

post-95973-0-15099400-1329150322_thumb.j

post-95973-0-41248800-1329150330_thumb.j

post-95973-0-74702800-1329150339_thumb.j

Sorry for the delay, those mounts look ok to me, the gap you see is normal but when the bonded part starts cracking thats a sign of failure.

Sorry for the delay, those mounts look ok to me, the gap you see is normal but when the bonded part starts cracking thats a sign of failure.

Thanks, good to know they look ok, partic that rear one.

Will have to find a good garage to fit a new clutch and possibly the oil seals if thats the real cause.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links