Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mystery Problem No Dealer Can Figure Out! Help!

ocriley

Help! I have a US-based 2005 Avalon that has a problem the dealers can't find or diagnose. I feel a feint "pop" or "click" feeling radiating to the steering wheel when I make a wide/sharp turn or pull into a driveway at an angle (can also feel the pop through the brake pedal when I brake hard). It seems to be getting gradually worse...i.e. like something loosening up over time in the front drivetrain or suspension. Any thoughts?

Help! I have a US-based 2005 Avalon that has a problem the dealers can't find or diagnose. I feel a feint "pop" or "click" feeling radiating to the steering wheel when I make a wide/sharp turn or pull into a driveway at an angle (can also feel the pop through the brake pedal when I brake hard). It seems to be getting gradually worse...i.e. like something loosening up over time in the front drivetrain or suspension. Any thoughts?

Could be something to do with the ABS or stability system?

• 2 weeks later...

the coil spring not seated correctly? or droplink on its way out?

i had the same thing on a vectra and it was the drop link then three months later it came back and i found that the spring hads moved a bit and was catching everynow and again

I'd say drop links also, the very very slightest movement in the ball joint is very hard to spot, but makes an anoying clunk, that transmits through the whole chassis.

It could be the "steering intermediate shaft" which is also a problem with some 2006-2007 RAV4's. There is a TSB for this problem with the Avalon:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/316739-steering-intermediate-shaft-tsb.html

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links