Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Engine Type?

C_U_Jimi

The iQ1 is plenty powerful enough for it's size, not to mention better fuel economy and free road tax.

Plenty of equipment as standard for me, and not as much to go wrong.

At the end of the day if you want a small good quality car then it's ideal, if you want power then it sort of defeats the object, get a golf GTI.

Thats the way I see it too, JW.

Spot on.

I test drove iQ 2 manual, auto and iQ3 manual. Hated the auto so my choice was between a white iQ2 with satnav, or the iQ3 with less toys but bigger engine. Needless to say i picked the iQ3, because i definately felt the power difference and I am used to driving cars with 6 gears. If we arranged a meet, there would be a wide variety to compare i think. Possibly the whole range (minus the 1.4d)

J

Hi Jordan

We tried to arrange a meet once before, but somehow we never met up. It would still be good try it again. I met up with David, AKA Tarquin with his iQ2 Multidrive with nav, leather and lots of improvements. David upgrade my interior light and afterwards I went for short drive in his car. I thought it went quite well, but it was only around the corner and a roundabout and back. It handled very well due to lowered suspension and low profile tyres. I suppose the real test would be on a motorway.

We should try arrange another one. I think its just a matter of seeing when people are free and finding a suitable location where many can gather together, ie a central location. Yeah, lowered suspension really makes one hell of a difference. Also a rear sway bar and 21mm polythene front brushes really help too. Transforms the car entirely.

To be fair, some people do prefer slightly more 'umpf' when pressing down on the gas pedal even if i is in a tiny, well equipt, modern car. Some people may just use their cars as a car getting from A to B with no concern for power, torque, being unique etc, but to other people, owning a car and modding it is a hobby/lifestyle. Gotta respect both sides :P

Jordan

The iQ1 is plenty powerful enough for it's size, not to mention better fuel economy and free road tax.

At the end of the day if you want a small good quality car then it's ideal, if you want power then it sort of defeats the object, get a golf GTI.

The iQ3 is only £30 tax. Plus the engine would hardly more costly to fix. All the other items are shared. The iQ3 cannot be compared to a Golf GTi. Totally different class, not to mention insurance group. The insurance group is at the low end for the iQ3 too. It's not about tearing up the Tarmac, it's about having just that little bit of extra power.

The iQ3 is only £30 tax. Plus the engine would hardly more costly to fix. All the other items are shared.

Except climate control, keyless entry, rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Which are pretty complex items although I suppose new owners get the 5 year warranty to cover them.

The iQ3 is only £30 tax. Plus the engine would hardly more costly to fix. All the other items are shared.

Except climate control, keyless entry, rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Which are pretty complex items although I suppose new owners get the 5 year warranty to cover them.

So you have a iQ1. Where does that leave the iQ2 that shares much of the same items as the iQ3. Unless you have used the keyless entry, which is amazing or the rain sensing and auto wipers, plus climate control, you can't bring that into this discussion. I thought it was about the engines, not the extras.

So you have the iQ1. Where does that leave the iQ2 that shares much of the same items as the iQ3. Unless you have used the keyless entry, which is amazing or the rain sensing and auto wipers, auto lights, plus climate control, you can't bring that into this discussion. I thought it was about the engines, not the extras.

This debate started 3 years ago when we first forum members had ordered our IQ1s and 2s and THEN read a new IQ3 with a bigger engine was coming out.

Initially there was a lot of gnashing of teeth and muttering about that we would have gone for the bigger engine had we known about it first.

But then on balance most of us wanted the IQ for it's economical attributes and the 1.3 engine was certainly more powerful but kind of missed the economy point so we were happy to stay with the 1.0 and many have ordered a second one, including me.

I would love a more powerful engine but I have got what I wanted in the 1.0., and the light 1.0 engine suits the IQ very well.

There is nothing wrong with the 1.3, just don't expect great economy unless you take it very easy, and don't mind paying road tax.

Horses for courses, each to his own, i'm happy with the 1.0, would love a 1.3 but can't really justify it logically.

This debate started 3 years ago when we first forum members had ordered our IQ1s and 2s and THEN read a new IQ3 with a bigger engine was coming out.

Initially there was a lot of gnashing of teeth and muttering about that we would have gone for the bigger engine had we known about it first.

But then on balance most of us wanted the IQ for it's economical attributes and the 1.3 engine was certainly more powerful but kind of missed the economy point so we were happy to stay with the 1.0 and many have ordered a second one, including me.

I would love a more powerful engine but I have got what I wanted in the 1.0., and the light 1.0 engine suits the IQ very well.

There is nothing wrong with the 1.3, just don't expect great economy unless you take it very easy, and don't mind paying road tax.

Horses for courses, each to his own, i'm happy with the 1.0, would love a 1.3 but can't really justify it logically.

That's a fair comment, but as you say, you would prefer a more powerful engine. As the 1.33 is not a gas guzzling 4x4 and tax is neither here or there at £30. If you really had the choice and finances, would you go for the a iQ3? or do you prefer the bog standard iQ1 over the iQ2 & iQ3 with better spec, that might go wrong at any time, despite Toyota's legendary build quality. Or let's say the diesel was sold in the UK. Would you go for one of those with even better fuel economy, but probably heavier engine?

After a bit of thought & this thread making my mind up, we have been to the Toyota dealership today & have ordered a New iQ.

'SWIO' (she who is obeyed) usually, wanted another iQ3 multidrive in white.

(she really liked it compared to my iQ/iQ2)

Since it me that really wants another & it will be my daily drive of choice,

it is a iQ Multidrive in black that is actually coming in March/April.

(no stop/start, no Auto lights, auto dim mirror, simple A/C, no this and that, just a nice simple car)

george

George, I have to say, I like your Skoda Fabia VRS. I know it's not Toyota related in any way, but I like it. I'm not that keen on the normal Fabia, although it's alright, I have always liked the Skoda VRS variants, especially the Octavia VRS. I take it -back to Toyota now- that your new iQ, the items you list, are options?

I'm not trying to say the 1.33 is a better engine than the 1 liter, people choose what they choose for their own reasons, some down to budget, some down to preference and to what sort of roads they will be driving on daily. I choose the 1.33 for my own reasons and respect the reasons why other people might choose the 1 liter.

But looking at your Fuelly icon your argument that the 1 liter is more economical just doesn't add up when i'm getting more in my 1.33. Just an observation.

After a bit of thought & this thread making my mind up, we have been to the Toyota dealership today & have ordered a New iQ.

'SWIO' (she who is obeyed) usually, wanted another iQ3 multidrive in white.

(she really liked it compared to my iQ/iQ2)

Since it me that really wants another & it will be my daily drive of choice,

it is a iQ Multidrive in black that is actually coming in March/April.

(no stop/start, no Auto lights, auto dim mirror, simple A/C, no this and that, just a nice simple car)

george

If its what you prefer George and your hard earned money, it's your choice and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

That's a fair comment, but as you say, you would prefer a more powerful engine. As the 1.33 is not a gas guzzling 4x4 and tax is neither here or there at £30. If you really had the choice and finances, would you go for the a iQ3? or do you prefer the bog standard iQ1 over the iQ2 & iQ3 with better spec, that might go wrong at any time, despite Toyota's legendary build quality. Or let's say the diesel was sold in the UK. Would you go for one of those with even better fuel economy, but probably heavier engine?

Marc, You asked if money was no object what would I do?!!

I don't think I would like a 6 speed box or the stop start or a heavier engine up front which must cause a bit more understeer, and the way I drive I don't think the performance difference would be significant enough, so if I were to keep buying IQs it would be the IQ2 I have now with all it's useful extras. A more powerful engine for me is really just for safety asset so you can get out of sticky situations or across dodgy junctions quickly , and I will always miss not having the extra get up a go, but one has to adapt and drive accordingly.

The 1.0l has done me proud for more than 3 years with no drama.

But that is just me and my preferences, which is why I chose a second IQ2 when they were updated last year, though I could have stretched finances to buy an IQ3 if I really wanted to.

I am retired now and having the IQ2 with its economy means my wife and I go running about every day in the car without worrying about the fuel prices while the other retired people in my street are going out much less often since the fuel price surge, due to them still having much less economical cars.

So for me it does make a difference..between getting out and about, or sitting at home and counting pennies. With the IQ2 I just don't think about using fuel, it is just not really a factor, but I think with the bigger engine I would probably keep trying to drive economically all the time which takes the edge off any enjoyment in driving. I know in this scenario I am supposed to have unlimited funds but that just isn't the case!

If I only used my MG Midget, which used to be my only car apart from some kit cars I built 20 to 30 years ago and my previous Aygo, I would only be getting about 28mpg on a good day, so we would be going nowhere, except for the odd crawl to Asda.

I will be intigued to see how the new electric IQ looks and goes. Lack of range will no doubt be a big issue but running costs and acceleration should be good.

John

I'm not trying to say the 1.33 is a better engine than the 1 liter, people choose what they choose for their own reasons, some down to budget, some down to preference and to what sort of roads they will be driving on daily. I choose the 1.33 for my own reasons and respect the reasons why other people might choose the 1 liter.

But looking at your Fuelly icon your argument that the 1 liter is more economical just doesn't add up when i'm getting more in my 1.33. Just an observation.

Yes each one to their own. I prefer the 1.33 myself, just my opinion and I never brought the iQ3 multidrive because of the fuel economy. I wanted leather (because I hate the pattern of the cloth seats) navigation (because the radio is hard to control from the steering wheel and makes the dash look better in my view) parking sensors (a must have on any car) auto lights, auto wipers, the brilliant keyless entry (all cars should have this as standard) climate control (much better than the standard air conditioning I had in my old car) and the stop start button (just so much better than trying to insert a key, especially in the dark) and finally power close and open heated mirrors.

Marc, You asked if money was no object what would I do?!!

I don't think I would like a 6 speed box or the stop start or a heavier engine up front which must cause a bit more understeer, and the way I drive I don't think the performance difference would be significant enough, so if I were to keep buying IQs it would be the IQ2 I have now with all it's useful extras. A more powerful engine for me is really just for safety asset so you can get out of sticky situations or across dodgy junctions quickly , and I will always miss not having the extra get up a go, but one has to adapt and drive accordingly.

The 1.0l has done me proud for more than 3 years with no drama.

But that is just me and my preferences, which is why I chose a second IQ2 when they were updated last year, though I could have stretched finances to buy an IQ3 if I really wanted to.

I am retired now and having the IQ2 with its economy means my wife and I go running about every day in the car without worrying about the fuel prices while the other retired people in my street are going out much less often since the fuel price surge, due to them still having much less economical cars.

So for me it does make a difference..between getting out and about, or sitting at home and counting pennies. With the IQ2 I just don't think about using fuel, it is just not really a factor, but I think with the bigger engine I would probably keep trying to drive economically all the time which takes the edge off any enjoyment in driving. I know in this scenario I am supposed to have unlimited funds but that just isn't the case!

If I only used my MG Midget, which used to be my only car apart from some kit cars I built 20 to 30 years ago and my previous Aygo, I would only be getting about 28mpg on a good day, so we would be going nowhere, except for the odd crawl to Asda.

I will be intigued to see how the new electric IQ looks and goes. Lack of range will no doubt be a big issue but running costs and acceleration should be good.

John

Yes I think the iQ2 or iQ1 for that matter would be great for a retired couple. Easy to park etc etc.

Can I ask how far your daily commute is?

My total daily run is just under 2 miles, however on a run I can get 65mpg+.

Edit: Just looked at your stats, looks like 60 miles a day.

I have since found a shorter route to work which is a 52 mile round trip :) the best mpg I got over a tank full was 53 and that was over country roads. Funnily enough when I tried the motorway route (82 mile round trip) i only managed 50 mpg.

Like I say, I'm pretty happy with the MPG on such a short run, especially as I had a c-class auto which struggled to get above 19 MPG!

surely it depends on the type of commute over the distance? mine is all in the city, so plenty of stop/start. :(

Fish

How do you guys get your FUELLY up there. Mind you I would be frightened to put mine up, I must have a lead foot, as I don't get as much as that.