Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Buying A Gen 2

don21

Found a t spirit I like and have a couple of questions.

Does it hav an aux input for my ipod.

More importantly reliability.

Watched the stuff about the Canadian cabs doing so many miles without major problems but what are you guys experiences regarding reliability.

One I am looking at has full history and 70k.

Cheers.

Gen 2, covers the introduced model 2004-2005, and a revised model from 2006. It is worth going for 2006-onwards as they have improved traction control and a more reliable, hi-res multi-function display.

The options and standard kit has varied over the years, with the later years getting more kit as standard. I can't recall if the audio AUX-in existed in the beginning. If the audio AUX socket exists, it is in the top compartment, under the arm rest, next to the AUX power. I seem to recall reading there maybe ground loop issues with the audio AUX input, there was a fix in the USA, but I think not here for whatever reason.

From what I can recall faults are not common, but seem to occur in clusters for some years, volume control knob and CD changer buttons below the MFD, intermittent faults of the MFD leading to permanent failure and a very expensive repair +2K. The hybrid Inverter coolant pump was the subject of recall for a number of the years, but mine was built a little after the recall (so far anyway).

That's all I can remember for now...

3 months with my Prius t spirit with 50k on the clock. it's nothing short of perfect, nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

My Gen 2 T-Spirit, which I bought last month, has an aux socket in the centre armrest unit. It's a 2009 model, not sure what year yours would be?

I went for a Prius after a lot of research, and partly due to the owners' feedback on here about reliability and general owner satisfaction. I've been a Honda owner for years, so I'm used to great reliability, but the feedback is more positive on here than on the comparable Honda site.

So far, I love the car.

Go for it, you won't regret it. It's one of the best cars I've ever had for everyday motoring.

• 1 month later...

I have a 58 plate and have done 13,500 in it now.

I researched long and hard too as I was a little wary of owning a Hybrid Prius.......I need not have worried.

Brilliant car.....can't rate it highly enough!

My son has the Gen 2. 2007 model. Brilliant car and used for his business in UK & Europe. He has done about 60,000 miles without any problems. He tells me the car and its fuel consumption just gets better. He may change the car later this year as he loses the £10 annual congestion charge on the Gen 2 in December. He goes to London on business regularly so paying the daily congestion charge is expensive. You will not regret getting a Gen 2 Prius.

At 70,000 you have 30,000 of battery/hybrid warranty left. An amount we Gen III buyers can only dream about.

We have an 08 Gen II in the family that has done 120,000 miles. I think the only non-routine item it has needed is a recent wheel bearing replacement. There is no sign of Battery wear.

It is definitely better built than the current Gen III.

Go for it

More importantly reliability.

Watched the stuff about the Canadian cabs doing so many miles without major problems but what are you guys experiences regarding reliability.

One I am looking at has full history and 70k.

It is slowly starting to be apparent that the gen2 Prius was over engineered and thus reliable and long lasting. Unfortunately it is slowly starting to appear that the gen3 Prius, whilst still reliable, might not last the distance the gen2 does. The gen3 had some parts reduced in size and/or weight and capacities reduced whilst power outputs increased. As such they will probably last a light user to 100,000 miles but hard work might kill the car off earlier than the gen2.

The gen2 could do 400,000+ miles on the same Battery, whereas there are now reports of gen3 taxis having HV Battery failure at about 130,000 miles at a cost of £2,500! (see US Priuschat forum for details). A service bulletin has been released for taxi and hard users in the US but nobody has contacted me about this here in the UK.

So should you buy a gen2? I would say yes, if it meets your requirements. Would I recommend a gen3 (2009-) then I would say, be careful, make sure you get the one with 100,000 mile warranty and make sure your useage isn't hard - will it be a commuter or a work horse?

Thanks for all the input.

Had my 58 plate tspirit for 3 weeks now and I am delighted with it.

Love the way it drives and getting around 50mpg mixed driving.

GC. I think you may well be right about it being over engineered and I hope for your sake the Gen 3 proves better than early reports.

Your input in particular helped me with my decision so many thanks.

Keep us up to date with the reliability of your Gen3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links