Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Your 2.2 D4D (2Ad) Rav4 Had A New Engine?

cabcurtains

Has your 2.2 D4D (2AD) RAV4 had a new engine?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Has your 2.2 D4D (2AD) RAV4 had a new engine?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes - How Many?

• 2+
    • None To Date

It was me that voted on the 2 replacement engines! I polled this because I have a 2AD power unit fitted to my Avensis so thought it was prudent to cast my vote on this subject dispite not owning a RAV...

I am Spartacus ! :gunsmilie:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• anchorman

• CharlieFarlie

• local hero

It was me that voted on the 2 replacement engines! I polled this because I have a 2AD power unit fitted to my Avensis so thought it was prudent to cast my vote on this subject dispite not owning a RAV...

To right my mate! :boxing:

If Don or anyone wants to know more about my 2 engine replacements then they only need to ask as I'm more than happy to answer. But its been very well documented here on the forum...

How tight did they torque up ya nuts?

:) very good

I am smiling at the humour in the reply and applaud your ability to still have some after 2 new engines!

SHCM has a new 2010 rav........its still consumes 3 liters of oil in 10k miles

Please quote the actual figures I posted. Yes, your linear extrapolation of my figures might be valid (that remains yet to be seen), but if you are going to quote me, I'd prefer an accurate quote. Thanks.

What about SHCM`? is he worried about his oil consumption? Having bought one of the later ravs without the apparent problem?

NO! and I can find far, far more important things to worry(?) about.

I appear to be the only one on here who has had a new 3/4 engine and is actually happy with the results??

We have now clocked up over 6k since the start of November 2011 on the new motor and yes it had used some oil which has now settled down and the small amount it has used is nothing in comparison to what the old motor was using and I am using fully synthetic Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.

Sure, we have had a few little problems since we bought the T180 but I have to say Toyota have been absolutely flawless in sorting them out leaving me the customer happy & confident with the expensive product that I have bought from them. :thumbsup:

I have stated this in various threads previously but people seem to forget too easily how other manufactures deal with issues like this one............they don't!! Nissan had turbo issues for years on the X-Trail where it was leaking oil from the turbo & blowing oil up into the intercooler which sits on top of the engine and in turn buggers that up along with the turbo. This was allegedly only an issue with cars from 2001-2005 and Nissan where offering a FOC warranty for this issue. Nissan ceased offering this warranty late in 2005 as they told every one the issue had been resolved so that was why we bought a late 2006 model with 6k on the clock. Less than 20k later it too was leaking oil from the turbo and blowing it up in to the intercooler. When I spoke to Nissan UK about this issue I was told that the warranty was not offered on our car even though it had exactly the same issue as the earlier model that did have the warranty!! Speaking to Nissan customer service was as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike even though I spoke with numerous managers & service managers I still got no where. They told me they would fix my car for £2,500 - the joke of it is when you read threads on the X-Trail forum some have failed again just outside of the 12 months warranty leaving the customer with a bill of t least £1,800 from an independent turbo dealer just over a year down the road from when they would have spent £2.5k!!

Yes I realise the above paragraph is about my Nissan experience but FFS Toyota are offering to give you a new engine on mileage up to some where around 112k - I don't know of any other manufacture who is doing this!! Yes it is a PITA if you need to have a 2nd new engine but it can be done FOC - again - no one else is doing this!!

All I have seen on this forum is doom and gloom for months yet Toyota are willing to sort your car for free - get a grip!!

I appear to be the only one on here who has had a new 3/4 engine and is actually happy with the results??

We have now clocked up over 6k since the start of November 2011 on the new motor and yes it had used some oil which has now settled down and the small amount it has used is nothing in comparison to what the old motor was using and I am using fully synthetic Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.

Sure, we have had a few little problems since we bought the T180 but I have to say Toyota have been absolutely flawless in sorting them out leaving me the customer happy & confident with the expensive product that I have bought from them. :thumbsup:

I have stated this in various threads previously but people seem to forget too easily how other manufactures deal with issues like this one............they don't!! Nissan had turbo issues for years on the X-Trail where it was leaking oil from the turbo & blowing oil up into the intercooler which sits on top of the engine and in turn buggers that up along with the turbo. This was allegedly only an issue with cars from 2001-2005 and Nissan where offering a FOC warranty for this issue. Nissan ceased offering this warranty late in 2005 as they told every one the issue had been resolved so that was why we bought a late 2006 model with 6k on the clock. Less than 20k later it too was leaking oil from the turbo and blowing it up in to the intercooler. When I spoke to Nissan UK about this issue I was told that the warranty was not offered on our car even though it had exactly the same issue as the earlier model that did have the warranty!! Speaking to Nissan customer service was as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike even though I spoke with numerous managers & service managers I still got no where. They told me they would fix my car for £2,500 - the joke of it is when you read threads on the X-Trail forum some have failed again just outside of the 12 months warranty leaving the customer with a bill of t least £1,800 from an independent turbo dealer just over a year down the road from when they would have spent £2.5k!!

Yes I realise the above paragraph is about my Nissan experience but FFS Toyota are offering to give you a new engine on mileage up to some where around 112k - I don't know of any other manufacture who is doing this!! Yes it is a PITA if you need to have a 2nd new engine but it can be done FOC - again - no one else is doing this!!

All I have seen on this forum is doom and gloom for months yet Toyota are willing to sort your car for free - get a grip!!

Nice to see a positive :thumbsup:

I cant recall the last time i saw a Toyota broken down, its normally a VW or an Audi.

SHCM has a new 2010 rav........its still consumes 3 liters of oil in 10k miles

Please quote the actual figures I posted. Yes, your linear extrapolation of my figures might be valid (that remains yet to be seen), but if you are going to quote me, I'd prefer an accurate quote. Thanks.

What about SHCM`? is he worried about his oil consumption? Having bought one of the later ravs without the apparent problem?

NO! and I can find far, far more important things to worry(?) about.

So if I cannot quote you, you will say its rubbish, I remembered what you said. is that not good enough?

Nothing personal, I was just using what you said as an example :)

well said. Blue

yes it is a pita when a problem happens but ALL products have potential ( and actual) flaws- be they cars, computers or cheese puffs.

what separates the flaws is how the supplier deals with them. Which is why I personally got another RAV4 without hesitation even knowing some people had had engine issues.

No offence Blue :)

6k miles in the new engine?? Thats some going mate....but you say you are using Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 which I belive is a top notch oil, so this may help you engine also...

Please feel free to correct me if i`ve got the wrong end off stick....

To be honest I don't care how well or modern the design of the engine is if they keep on failing at the alarming rate they are then something is seriously wrong .. Toyota's policy of replacement whilst applaudable indicate that They accept there are faults !!

Quote...

Now lets just keep a level head here. Charlie seems to have lost patience with his RAV and whatever the outcome of the next change, even if it is perfect like all the others we know about, it is going. Fair do's that is his perogative. This is somebody that posted that if he couldn't find a rattle on his door panel it would be sold by weekend so we can presume that he isn't the most tollerant of people. I think the same was said of a seat squeak.

Unquote.

In answer to the above...Yes I have lost patience and interest in the !Removed! car.. It has had issues from day 1 from minor rattles and squeaky interior two more serious things like knocking steering and needing a engine every 8 thousand miles or so...

NONE OF WHICH ARE ACCEPTABLE IN A VERY EXPENSIVE MODERN MOTOR VEHICLE

I can overlook things like a poxy crunching first gear despite it being a modern car

I can overlook the Run Flat tyre situation and the expence expense of getting away from it. Also having to carry luggage on the rear seats so a spare wheel can be carried.

I can overlook the fact that it has had to have an engine changed despite those claiming its a modern well designed engine ????

I can overlook the constantly creaking steering because apparently They all do that Sir !!

I can overlook the fact that I had to source and ship from Plymouth just this week a used drivers seat costing 380 quid to rid the car of the creak that was driving Me barmy...

But combine all of them along with another engine and that the interior of the car sqeeks like buggery as it has since I bought it and despite hours of trying to cure it and perhaps You may start to understand Me getting slightly hacked off......

To be honest Don I am really ubiked off with You comments I have quoted above.. If this is an attempt to mask over the issues with these cars by trying to make Me look like some kind of intolerant fool You need to try harder...

I have stuck with the car and all its problems but now have given up..

Toyota legendary build quality and reliability ??? Errrrr Yeh Right ...........................

Charlie mate this post is a classic............

I especially like the quote.......unquote bit................that had me in stitches for a while :lol:

I also like the new engine every 8k miles.......you`ll have to get a spare to stick in the boot for those extra long journy`s :lol:

I have a good mine to print this post off, frame it and stick it on my wall........... :lol:

Must go time for my medication.............. :clown:

Charlie.

I'm not trying to make you look a fool but it seems there are a lot of posts on just how bad RAVs are and not everybody shares that view. You are doing the right thing in ridding it because you have no confidence in the car or the fundamental design. We know the engine had issues but they have been fixed now and you have been unlucky.

Tim

It is fine you posting 2 engines and you are always welcome to post in the RAV forum. I just wanted to understand who had done it. I also could have predicted problems when you first said about them stripping the engine. Its a shame they didn't seem to have the 3/4 engine policy when it all started for you.

The rest of us are staying put and we get how dissatisfied you are - I get the feeling you think we should all do the same as our RAVs are a lost cause.

I can assure you there is nothing malicious or personal in my comments. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Blue

Thanks for giving us your opinion. Are there any of the other new engine owners that would care to comment?

Jedi.

Don't try to trip shcm. You are wasting your time.

Jedi, no offence mate as you haven't said any thing wrong :P

Yes, over 6k on the new motor which I really can blame the wife for as she is racking up 500 miles per week commuting to work!!

This is the main reason why I wanted to use top notch oil as I knew big miles would be done very quickly plus the motor has been run on nothing but Shell V Power on the old motor & the new one.

I firmly believe from reading many posts on various forums that top notch oil & V-Power definitely make a big difference to your motor.

I know for certain that the Honda S2000 engine is prone to using oil and know many people who are going through 1 litre in no time (in the owners manual Honda advise to check the oil every time that you fill up with fuel - that's how much some engines are using!!) but I have used nothing but the best and in 5 years of ownership mine has not used a single drop & the oil that comes out at service time is nearly as clean as the oil that went in :thumbsup:

In my opinion you have to run a performance engine on performance ingredients :D

Jedi.

I dont want to trip anyone up I have respect for you and SHCM both, your experience in various fields is great, I wish you would post more technical stuff I find it very interesting, SHCM especially. :thumbsup:

But he did say his new ........should not have the oil burning problem Rav.............is burning oil at the exact rate of 3 Liters to 10,250 miles........or .5 liters in 1700 miles, which you yourself Don agreed too.

and now you seem to want to dismiss these comments, no doubt you are communicating via Pm`s to each other, on what to say next?

I smell a rat here ragards this 2AD engine problem.......rat2.jpg

Jedi, no offence mate as you haven't said any thing wrong :P

Yes, over 6k on the new motor which I really can blame the wife for as she is racking up 500 miles per week commuting to work!!

This is the main reason why I wanted to use top notch oil as I knew big miles would be done very quickly plus the motor has been run on nothing but Shell V Power on the old motor & the new one.

I firmly believe from reading many posts on various forums that top notch oil & V-Power definitely make a big difference to your motor.

I know for certain that the Honda S2000 engine is prone to using oil and know many people who are going through 1 litre in no time (in the owners manual Honda advise to check the oil every time that you fill up with fuel - that's how much some engines are using!!) but I have used nothing but the best and in 5 years of ownership mine has not used a single drop & the oil that comes out at service time is nearly as clean as the oil that went in :thumbsup:

In my opinion you have to run a performance engine on performance ingredients :D

I agree there are a lot of 5w30 oils out there that are crap......but manufactures still recommed them..............maybe not for much longer............aaa TSB

Jedi, I don't know what you are taking but it you could make a fortune selling it on.

Are you sure you haven't been looking at quotes from another forum and answering in this one?

What on earth are you talking about?

In your opinion Don what is the difference between a A1/B1 oil and a A3/B3 oil.

What's are the differences? manufactures recommend both.

Its not an opinion its a fact. I haven't got much time now but look at ACEA ratings in Wikipedia

The way I read it is the A1/B1 oils have a lot less antiwear additives, not to be used for arduous running conditions, which by the oil companys defenition could mean reversing up a hill.??

It's quite clear that some of these fuel efficient enery saving oils do so to the detriment of your engine, the advestising does not say this out loud, but if you read between the lines, there are hints to this.

Mistermena, Blue tasmanian devil man, seem to have found a compatiable oil for this engine, Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30, a fully synth that so far is not burning oil, no doubt this oil costs a fortune and has all the extra additives needed for the 2AD engine. Most probably meets vws 504/507 strick oil standards.

Charlie stuck Castrol magnatex fully synth A1 5w/30 in his engine and nearly straight away this burned away. To me obviously this oil is not compatiable with the 2AD engine, even though Toyota say its ok to use?

SHCM mention his oil consumption as 0.5 L per 1700 miles this equates to 3L in 10,250 miles. I said that's not brillient, you agreed and said its not brillient also..then there was a mention of using clingy fully synth oil. And maybe a semi synth would be tried next........you said all new models have the problems sorted?

Would be interested to know what brand of oil SHCM has in is rav currently.

Can you find the post? I need to see in what context things were being said.

His engine has just been refilled with Morris's 5W/30 semi synthetic which is what is in mine at the moment.

Shcm has a very analytical mind. He deals in facts unless he is having a joke and me telling you not to try to trip him was light hearted. I should have used a smiley but don't always have the time to mess these days!

If Don or anyone wants to know more about my 2 engine replacements then they only need to ask as I'm more than happy to answer. But its been very well documented here on the forum...

How tight did they torque up ya nuts?

About 195NM mate...

:) very good

I am smiling at the humour in the reply and applaud your ability to still have some after 2 new engines!

I think after 2 engines you have to try and keep smiling tbh!... Must be a Welsh thing! B)

:) very good I am smiling at the humour in the reply and applaud your ability to still have some after 2 new engines!
I think after 2 engines you have to try and keep smiling tbh!... Must be a Welsh thing! B)

I thought sheep were a welsh thing ? :lol:

Charlie.

I'm not trying to make you look a fool but it seems there are a lot of posts on just how bad RAVs are and not everybody shares that view. You are doing the right thing in ridding it because you have no confidence in the car or the fundamental design. We know the engine had issues but they have been fixed now and you have been unlucky.

Tim

It is fine you posting 2 engines and you are always welcome to post in the RAV forum. I just wanted to understand who had done it. I also could have predicted problems when you first said about them stripping the engine. Its a shame they didn't seem to have the 3/4 engine policy when it all started for you.

The rest of us are staying put and we get how dissatisfied you are - I get the feeling you think we should all do the same as our RAVs are a lost cause.

I can assure you there is nothing malicious or personal in my comments. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Blue

Thanks for giving us your opinion. Are there any of the other new engine owners that would care to comment?

Jedi.

Hi Don,

No I dont think that all the RAV's are a lost cause with these 2AD engines at all... If I thought that was the case I would have sold my T-180 and taken what ever hit in value against another car. I believe that a forum is a place where people can share views, weather it be a positive or not!.

May I also assure you there is nothing malicious or personal in my comments to you either...

Charlie.

Tim

Blue

Jedi.

Hi Don,

No I dont think that all the RAV's are a lost cause with these 2AD engines at all... If I thought that was the case I would have sold my T-180 and taken what ever hit in value against another car. I believe that a forum is a place where people can share views, weather it be a positive or not!.

May I also assure you there is nothing malicious or personal in my comments to you either...

:) very good I am smiling at the humour in the reply and applaud your ability to still have some after 2 new engines!

I thought sheep were a welsh thing ? :lol:

It is mate!!!... But just cant seem to find me wellies atm!... And the little bu@@ers are a lot quicker off the mark now I'm getting older! :wub::sick::fox::horse::naughty: :lol2: :kisss:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links