Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Your 2.2 D4D (2Ad) Rav4 Had A New Engine?

cabcurtains

Has your 2.2 D4D (2AD) RAV4 had a new engine?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Has your 2.2 D4D (2AD) RAV4 had a new engine?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes - How Many?

• 2+
    • None To Date

The way I read it is the A1/B1 oils have a lot less antiwear additives, not to be used for arduous running conditions, which by the oil companys defenition could mean reversing up a hill.??

It's quite clear that some of these fuel efficient enery saving oils do so to the detriment of your engine, the advestising does not say this out loud, but if you read between the lines, there are hints to this.

Mistermena, Blue tasmanian devil man, seem to have found a compatiable oil for this engine, Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30, a fully synth that so far is not burning oil, no doubt this oil costs a fortune and has all the extra additives needed for the 2AD engine. Most probably meets vws 504/507 strick oil standards.

Charlie stuck castrol magnatex fully synth A1 5w/30 in his engine and nearly straight away this burned away. To me obviously this oil is not compatiable with the 2AD engine, even though Toyota say its ok to use?

SHCM mention his oil consumption as 0.5 L per 1700 miles this equates to 3L in 10,250 miles. I said that's not brillient, you agreed and said its not brillient also..then there was a mention of using clingy fully synth oil. And maybe a semi synth would be tried next........you said all new models have the problems sorted?

Would be interested to know what brand of oil SHCM has in is rav currently.

Jedi. There You go again assuming its the oil I've used and not the engine !! FFS how many more times !! No engine should burn a litre of oil in 350 miles !!!

When I realised My engine was burning so much oil it was soon apparent that something was fundamentally wrong and it was not the oil but the engine ...

I realise negativity has taken over as far as I am concerned but bear in mind I have tried to remain positive but simply cant any more..##

I have never disputed what a cracking car the Rav can be and if You get a good one fantastic but if You get a bad one then its not pleasant !!

The daft thing is of course is that My car will likely be just perfect when I sell it with its new engine and even the seat no longer creaks as it now resides in the bottom of a skip having been replaced just yesterday with perfect and quiet one !! Pedantic ? Er Yes sorry that's just the way I am..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• anchorman

• CharlieFarlie

• local hero

Charlie.

I'm not trying to make you look a fool but it seems there are a lot of posts on just how bad RAVs are and not everybody shares that view. You are doing the right thing in ridding it because you have no confidence in the car or the fundamental design. We know the engine had issues but they have been fixed now and you have been unlucky.

Tim

It is fine you posting 2 engines and you are always welcome to post in the RAV forum. I just wanted to understand who had done it. I also could have predicted problems when you first said about them stripping the engine. Its a shame they didn't seem to have the 3/4 engine policy when it all started for you.

The rest of us are staying put and we get how dissatisfied you are - I get the feeling you think we should all do the same as our RAVs are a lost cause.

I can assure you there is nothing malicious or personal in my comments. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

Blue

Thanks for giving us your opinion. Are there any of the other new engine owners that would care to comment?

Jedi.

Don't try to trip shcm. You are wasting your time.

Hi Don,

No I dont think that all the RAV's are a lost cause with these 2AD engines at all... If I thought that was the case I would have sold my T-180 and taken what ever hit in value against another car. I believe that a forum is a place where people can share views, weather it be a positive or not!.

May I also assure you there is nothing malicious or personal in my comments to you either...

None taken Tim. ;)

The way I read it is the A1/B1 oils have a lot less antiwear additives, not to be used for arduous running conditions, which by the oil companys defenition could mean reversing up a hill.??

It's quite clear that some of these fuel efficient enery saving oils do so to the detriment of your engine, the advestising does not say this out loud, but if you read between the lines, there are hints to this.

Mistermena, Blue tasmanian devil man, seem to have found a compatiable oil for this engine, Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30, a fully synth that so far is not burning oil, no doubt this oil costs a fortune and has all the extra additives needed for the 2AD engine. Most probably meets vws 504/507 strick oil standards.

Charlie stuck castrol magnatex fully synth A1 5w/30 in his engine and nearly straight away this burned away. To me obviously this oil is not compatiable with the 2AD engine, even though Toyota say its ok to use?

SHCM mention his oil consumption as 0.5 L per 1700 miles this equates to 3L in 10,250 miles. I said that's not brillient, you agreed and said its not brillient also..then there was a mention of using clingy fully synth oil. And maybe a semi synth would be tried next........you said all new models have the problems sorted?

Would be interested to know what brand of oil SHCM has in is rav currently.

Jedi. There You go again assuming its the oil I've used and not the engine !! FFS how many more times !! No engine should burn a litre of oil in 350 miles !!!

When I realised My engine was burning so much oil it was soon apparent that something was fundamentally wrong and it was not the oil but the engine ...

I realise negativity has taken over as far as I am concerned but bear in mind I have tried to remain positive but simply cant any more..##

I have never disputed what a cracking car the Rav can be and if You get a good one fantastic but if You get a bad one then its not pleasant !!

The daft thing is of course is that My car will likely be just perfect when I sell it with its new engine and even the seat no longer creaks as it now resides in the bottom of a skip having been replaced just yesterday with perfect and quiet one !! Pedantic ? Er Yes sorry that's just the way I am..

Charlie.

When you get your new car try and call round this way while we have that long promised brew and tyre kicking session. I must admit I pictured a little grumble when I thought of you pitching the seat in the skip and it made me smile. Whatever you think of the car somebody won't believe their luck when they buy that motor off you and they will be none the wiser about the anguish it has caused you.

Your gun is not invited though!!! :gun_bandana:

Don. What I think of the car is that as a package it takes some beating.. Good space very comfortable over distance . Great power and torque, Huge equipment level on the T180. All this and 4WD ability with excellent economy .. But spoiled for Me by perhaps just being unlucky with the car needing so much work in so many areas,,,,

I will admit to looking at a brand new SR even after all this so it aint that bad eh ??

But the fact that the SR cannot give Me the equipment level the T180 has plus that residual niggle was the final nail... Plus an up and coming new model will de value the car ect ect

I have enjoyed the car and with such a mad couple of months in front of Me I will likely put another 6 or 7 thousand miles on the car before it goes as the chance of changing in between trips is slim and difficult to achieve..

We must have that brew !!

I have a photo of a 2010 RAV that Toyota used for publicity. It is a Spanish motor AND it has a sunroof.

Toyota will build whatever the local sales guys want so come on TGB - get that sunroof somewhere in the spec.

I just wondered, in order to get some kind of perspective on the scale of this problem, If Kingo, who works for 2 large Toyota dealerships could give us a rough idea of the number of Ravs sold. say between 2006 and 2008, and the number of rebuilt or replacement engines they have carried out, because surely anyone purchasing a car from them that has the problem, would return to them for the fix, (Kingo, if you read this I am not asking you to get involved with this debate) I just wondered if this problem is as widespread as we think it is, One of the reasons I ask is that if you Google Toyota Rav 4 reliability it comes top in a lot of US reports, (yes I am aware they don,t have diesels) and in March 2011 also came top in a "Which" reliability report scoring 89% and particular mention of the legendry Toyota reliability, which is not what we are seeing on here..............

toyota-rav4-reliable-247037.jpg

Toyota RAV4

Toyota RAV4

Model year: 2006-

Reliability rating: 89%

Toyota is recognised as one of the top carmakers for producing reliable cars. The RAV4 has historically been a model that upheld that reputation, and the latest RAV4 scores an impressive 89% reliability rating. Diesel versions score more impressively for breakdowns and niggles.

Read more: http://www.which.co..../#ixzz1m11ZI08s

Consumer Champions Which?

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial :thumbsup: STEW

Here is that 2010 with a sunroof;

toyota-rav4-2009-euro-img_5.jpg

and this is supposed to be the 2014 model;

NewRAV.jpg

2014 Model - Looks like a Lexus RX, more than likely Lexus will be selling their version.

If the definition of reliability is actual roadside breakdowns Toyota are still superb, you seldom see one broken down. This oil consumption issue would only constitute a breakdown if it actually caused the vehicle to breakdown at the side of the road. And a sensible person should check their oil enough to stop that occuring.

Lighten up, folks.

• Don't worry about a theoretical problem until there are some signs you have it.
  • Enjoy this very capable vehicle for what it is, not what it isn't.
  • Realise that even the best vehicle manufacturers boob quite regularly.
  • No-one's perfect, and that includes L-R, Merc, BMW, Rolls-Royce, and probably even Skoda
  • Feel good about the fact that if and when you hit a problem, we have some really knowledgeable guys who will go to great lengths to help you out.
  • And like any Club, be prepared to put up with a sprinkling of nutters. In amongst them...

Best wishes to everyone,

Chris

And like any Club, be prepared to put up with a sprinkling of nutters.

How dar you !

I resemble that remark :D

Ditto Chris's reply above, and lets try and have a few more POSITIVE COMMENTS... :driving::clap::toot: :toot: :toot::toast: Stew

Anyone seen my medication? :P

Only take the recommended dose and always read the label!

Pete ..... :naughty: .

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong, I must wear my monocle, what I read as 8 tablets per day reads 3 tablets per day in monocle mode :D

Sold any cars recently :P

I just wondered, in order to get some kind of perspective on the scale of this problem, If Kingo, who works for 2 large Toyota dealerships could give us a rough idea of the number of Ravs sold. say between 2006 and 2008, and the number of rebuilt or replacement engines they have carried out, because surely anyone purchasing a car from them that has the problem, would return to them for the fix, (Kingo, if you read this I am not asking you to get involved with this debate) I just wondered if this problem is as widespread as we think it is, One of the reasons I ask is that if you Google Toyota Rav 4 reliability it comes top in a lot of US reports, (yes I am aware they don,t have diesels) and in March 2011 also came top in a "Which" reliability report scoring 89% and particular mention of the legendry Toyota reliability, which is not what we are seeing on here..............

toyota-rav4-reliable-247037.jpg

Toyota RAV4

Toyota RAV4

Model year: 2006-

Reliability rating: 89%

Toyota is recognised as one of the top carmakers for producing reliable cars. The RAV4 has historically been a model that upheld that reputation, and the latest RAV4 scores an impressive 89% reliability rating. Diesel versions score more impressively for breakdowns and niggles.

Read more: http://www.which.co..../#ixzz1m11ZI08s

Consumer Champions Which?

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial :thumbsup: STEW

The poll gives a little perspective ?? out of 25 voters 9 have had an engine 2 of Us twice.. That is some rate of attrition ...

But thats just members that have read + replied to this poll, and on this forum we are much more aware than the general public, also of the nine who have had them replaced/reworked how many really needed this work. if i am very honest I am not sure mine did, but if you can get a brand new engine for free, then lets face it most people would have one.........Stew

Post removed due to bad wording. Sorry Stew did not mean to give offence. Please accept My apologies !!

Charlie.

Charlie i am not entering into an argument with you, this is not personal, My car was 4 yrs old and had done 22000mls, this means that at 7yrs old my car will have only 35000mls, so i voiced my fears (the same as yours) about residual values and the situation i would be in, if this fault occured once out of warranty, I cannot afford £7000+ for a replacement engine, my car was inpected and met all the criteria for a replacement engine, there was nothing dishonest about it, and it is wrong of you to suggest there was.. The Which survey for reliability was conducted by a large number of rav owners and it would appear that loosely, 89% are happy with their ravs. the survey on here suggests 9 out of 25 or36% are unhappy, that is a huge difference and i may be wrong but i feel sure there are more than 25 4.3 owners on this forum, so not everyone has responded which does not give a true figure of the problem, if i cannot have my own opinion on a chosen topic, then quite frankly like Hoovie i will also give up....Stew

Post removed due to bad wording. Sorry Stew did not mean to give offence. Please accept My apologies !!

Charlie.

No Problem Charlie, and no hard feelings :group-cuddles: Stew

The Lexus Is22d uses the same engine I belive, they have the same problems.

Take a look on the Toyota sister site.

Lexus owners club.

Yes we ALL know there is a problem with a lot of these engines, but we have thrashed it about and we dont seem any closer to an answer, is it the fuel? is it the oil? is it a design fault?.. We all have our opinions and untill Toyota come up with a conclusive and believable answer, some of us will remain very worried, I don't know if Charlie has got his 2nd engine fitted yet, but lets hope they can find out the problem with his first one, because as he says his EGR is completely clean after 9000 mls, so this could be something different alltogether...Stew

Lighten up, folks.

• Don't worry about a theoretical problem until there are some signs you have it.
  • Enjoy this very capable vehicle for what it is, not what it isn't.
  • Realise that even the best vehicle manufacturers boob quite regularly.
  • No-one's perfect, and that includes L-R, Merc, BMW, Rolls-Royce, and probably even Skoda
  • Feel good about the fact that if and when you hit a problem, we have some really knowledgeable guys who will go to great lengths to help you out.
  • And like any Club, be prepared to put up with a sprinkling of nutters. In amongst them...

Best wishes to everyone,

Chris

Absolutely spot on Chris....had you been one of the fruit cakes on here, you would be the voice of raisin....!!!! (Pat.Applied for....)

I for one am off tae cheer up a bit...ma car is running like a dream, but all joking aside can really feel for Charlie's premicadent....somebody has really screwed up badfully there....!!!

Big Kev