Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Important Check For All 1.33 Yaris Owners (Will Also Apply To Auris)

Paul E

I have an 09 Reg Mk2 Yaris, will be 3 years old end of April 2012, done 19k miles.

I normally drive the car quite gently, but last week I had to hold low gear and accelerate hard while joining a motorway. As the revs passed 4000 rpm I heard a nasty noise - a bit like loud pinking for those who remember when cars used to pink (metallic tinkling / tapping noise). Wasn't happy so went to my local Toyota dealer. The fault turned out to be one which my dealer had never seen before - part of the aircon pump pulley (which is metal) had come off. I don't know if this same pump is fitted to other Toyota vehicles but it will be fitted to 1.33 Yaris and Auris.

Now the bad news...the pully is not a separate part, it is an integral part of the aircon pump. New aircon pump is best part of £1000 inc VAT, plus the cost of fitting.

Once the fault was diagnosed since the car was still in warranty it cost me nowt...but this engine came in around 2009, at which point Toyota was still on 3 year warranties. I'd hate for anyone else to develop this after warranty has lapsed.

Now hopefully this is a oneoff and nobody else is affected, but I thought it worth a warning post. If you have one of these vehicles, when the engine is well warmed up and road conditions safe to do so, rev past 4000 revs (no need to go past 5000) and listen for any odd noises. If you hear any noises like mine and you're still in warranty, get down to Mr T sharpish.

Good luck!

Paul

Damn! Mine is exactly one month newer than yours so probably the same batch. Unfortunately a few weeks ago I passed the 30,000 mark so it'll be out of warranty now.

Thanks for the heads-up though Paul,

Mick

"Damn! Mine is exactly one month newer than yours so probably the same batch. Unfortunately a few weeks ago I passed the 30,000 mark so it'll be out of warranty now."

Surely if yours is a month newer and you've just passed 30,000 miles, the 3 year/60,000 mile warranty will still apply?

Surely if yours is a month newer and you've just passed 30,000 miles, the 3 year/60,000 mile warranty will still apply?

Double Damn!!

I thought it was 3 years or 30,000 miles. I've now been putting off getting the 30,000 miles service until it's a bit closer to the MOT being due. I'm off on a trip and by the time I get back and a chance to get it serviced it'll be well over 31,000. I presume that will fall out of any leeway they give you on the warranty only being valid if you get it serviced evry 10,000 miles. I've been working on the assumption that as soon as I hit 30K the warranty had gone.

I'll maybe need to give Paul's test a go when the ice clears up.

Thanks a lot,

Mick.

Should only need an intermediate service - under Toyota's fixed price servicing that should be £ 119. Obviously plus the MOT.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links