Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Ignition Switch

Pete W

Hi, i have a 2000 2.0 VVTI estate, and have a problem with the ingintion switch. Was wondering if you can get a new barrell made up to fit the existing key ?. If so, would it have to be dealer only, or can a lock smith do it ?. Thanks.

I recall that when I had this my previous (1999) Avensis the ignition switch on mine failed and I was able to re-use the barrel without difficulty and that then the cost was only about £12 for a new switch from Mr T but that was about 6 years ago! The switch was the only item other than tyres and routine servicing that I had to replace in the 4/5 years I had the car. AS far as I can recall it was an easy plug in job.

Peter

I changed my switch about 3 years ago. I paid about £45 from Mr T, but only having bought a cheap one from a Jap parts dealer which I had to return because it was the wrong part. Luckily I checked the pinouts because it looked the same but the electrical connections were wrong. The staff at Jap parts expected me to return and gave me a refund.

The car would not start right outside the shop, but Mr T. was 2 minutes along the road so I had no choice but get the switch. I changed it in 20 minutes from start to finish! Had a bit of practice.

This is a common failure for Toyotas and has been mentioned on the forum, plus there is a 'how to change the ignition switch' in this forum. That is how I learnt if this issue.

Search 'igniton switch' and you may find the 'how to' with pictures.

I will search for some pictures I took when I tried to fix the switch with the wrong part later.

Let us know how you get on.

Kon

• 1 month later...

Is ur issue with the electrical switch on the back of the barrell or the mechanical barrell wots the symptoms hard starting or sticky key?

Hi, my problem is that you turn the key, and nothing happens, or it turns 1 or 2 times then stops as if the starter is faulty. Sometimes it's ok for days, then it's bad for several starts. Toyota said it's most likely the switch rather than the barrell. How can i tell?.

Ye this is an electrical issue your having .so no need to worry about keys its most likely an ign switch or starter motor .wen the fault is live and the car wont start hold the key around to the crank position and move the key up and down or left to right if the starter turns even for a second you have a bad contact inside the ign switch .if you suspect the starter disconnect the plug at the solenoid and get get somone to try start the car while you check for voltage using a test light or voltmeter

Hi, yes it turns over when you move the key. Will a switch from a slightly later car fit on mine. A friend has one that is going to the breakers, and was going to ask if i could have the switch. Thanks.

Any t22 shape will fit t25 03 on wont .held in by two phillips screws

Had a look at switch today, looks a bit full under there. Do i need to disconnect Battery before taking switch off, or can i just unplug everything, and swap them over. Thanks.

You should disconnect the Battery doing any work if you are unsure or inexperienced. The worst that can happen is you have to re-set the radio stations ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 3/17/2012 at 3:36 PM, Pete W said:

Hi, priced switch up from toyota, £65.00+VAT. Bit steep i thought, anybody had one cheaper.

I have been quoted 106 plus 100 fitting from Toyota on my 1998 Toyota avensis 

18 hours ago, Heather Piekarski said:

I have been quoted 106 plus 100 fitting from Toyota on my 1998 Toyota avensis 

I think prices have gone up and that seems to be Toyota labour prices too! Even though I am not a mechanic, I managed to replace the ignition switch on my old Mk1 Avensis in 20 minutes. I paid £45 inc VAT from the dealer at the time. If you read my post above, I bought a switch from a Jap parts shop, but even though it looked identical, the electrical pin outs were different. I compared the pin out legends of both, and the + - and signals were on different pins. 

I also did another post on this subject.

Further to my email, you can source a switch from eBay at a very reasonable price - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=84450-02010&_sacat=0

All you need is to find someone competent enough to fit it!