Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Corolla 1.4D4D Question

aidank

hi all

looking for a bit of info and hoping you can help, my family had 4 corolla 1,4vvti and they used all burn a drop of oil, one of them needed a gearbox replaced but goodcars overall.

anyway thinking of buying a 2004 1.4 corolla d4d, never had a diesel before so have a few questions, I am thinking that 2004 would be one of the first of the 1.4d4d engines

was this d4d engine a good engine, will it do the 250k miles that the petrol vvti would do without any trouble ?

also is the gearbox the same as the petrol model with an adaptor in frount or is it completely different, the 00-02 model gearboxes used to give a bit of bother how is this one

finally what extra over a petrol needs to be done at a service

fuel filter change at 20k,

do glow plugs need to be replaced often?

any other things that I should look out for when going to look at it

car (hatchback model) has 75k miles and looks clean,

car is in Ireland I estimate its worth 4.5k euro

all advice appreciated

gearbox is totally different, diesel engines have different ratios. try go for 2005 or newer so you get a facelift model, much more desirable. glow plugs need changing when they go, mine lasted until 100K before they needed replacing. the diesel engine will do higher mileage than the petrol without issue as long as its looked after properly. diesel engine needs timing belt change after 60K miles. water pump only if it's leaking.

thanks for the above

I see elsewhere on the net that the 1.4d4d has a timing chain while the 2.0d4d has a timing belt

which engine have you?

It depends, the facelift has a chain, the pre facelift has a belt.

I have a 2005 Facelift D4D 1.4. It has 105 000 kms ( 65k miles +/- ) on it, and no issues so far.

Mine goes in every 15 000 kms for a check up. Every 30 000 kms for maitenance.

Pretty happy with it so far, I use between 5 and 6 liters depending on my driving style.

One thing you really do have to do with a diesel is drive slowly until it has warmed up.

This means, don't go above 2000 - 2200 RPM until your car shows it has completely warmed up. Diesel engines are fragile when cold, and you'll wreck the engine doing this too often :)

yes sorry that's my bad, some of the 1.4d4d engines do have a timing chain. i have the 2.0d4d so assumed all the 1.4d4ds would too.

as for keeping it under 2200rpm that's true to an extent but i find it easier to start the car for a few minutes before setting off in the winter months

The 1.4 and 2.0 D4Ds are pretty bulletproof.

The 1.4 is obviously more economical, but the 2.0 is awesome to drive... so much mid-range pull! :yahoo:

The only thing I didn't like about my brother's 2.0D4D was that the clutch was very heavy... felt like it had been nicked out of a van! :lol:

I'm running a 2.0 D4D in Dublin, and mine has almost 170K miles on the clock, still goes like the clappers (if I want to, which I rarely do) and doesn't burn any oil.

Easy to service, I service my own, can do Oil, oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter and brakes for under €90, all genuine Toyota filters and high quality oil. :)

Change the pollen filter in the car, chances are it has never been done, my one certainly looked like it hadn't. It makes such a difference to the air flow in your car, best €15 I've spent on the thing. Take 5 minutes to do, there video's on youtube of how to do it (mostly american but obviously the steering is on the other side :) ).

I've done the last 40K miles and have not had to touch any of the glow plugs

The engine will last, as long as you look after it. Have seen a 2.0 D4D with 675,000 KM on the clock.

If is cheaper to run than the petrol, I was surprised because my previous car was an E11 1.3 petrol.

Good luck with it. If you have any other questions or there is anything I've missed please let me know.

• 1 month later...

what needs to be done to these toyota diesel engines when they clock up big miles say 100k

are there any diesel particulate filters that need to be changed? these can make running expensive

I understand that the 1.6HDI engine in the focus has a DPF filter and also needs to have some special fluid added for emissions purposes, does this toyota engine have an equivalent.

also with regard to DIY servicing, is there anything that needs to be reset electronically to make warning lights go off, reminders that appear go away etc

with regard to EGR can this be cleaned or is it simply a question of throw away and get another if it packs up

at €40-50 a go to get things like that reset motoring gets expensive

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links