Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Bought An Urban Cruiser

hector46

Hello, having just bought an UC I thought I should join the forum. It's the diesel version in glamerous silver although I could have had a blue one if I were more patient and paid a little extra :-) Just settling with the car but enjoying it , missing having a cruise control and it's not looking too easy to fit one. Negotiated a spare wheel and rubber mats and have ordered mudflaps and a towbar.

Bye for now

Steve

Welcome, having just bought one myself I have come from the busiest forum on Toc (Rav4) to the quietest so the more the merrier.

Have a look at the Rav forum and using the search function, you will see a member called Hoovie who fitted an aftermarket cruise

control system to his previous Rav. Enjoy :thumbsup:

PS, remember to add some photos to the Urban Cruiser photos thread.

edit, here you go save you time searching, -

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84214&st=0&p=775743&hl=+hoovie,%20+fitting%20+cruise%20+control&fromsearch=1entry775743

Thanks for the cruise control information. It's an expensive retro fit option and as far as I have found out there is no easy way to include it on euro spec ecu's on UC's.

In the USA I think CC is standard fitment on the scion XD and on motors like the yaris that don't have CC there is redundant wiring allowing a low priced stalk, clutch switch and minimal wiring to get a neat system working.

I will post a couple of photographs soon although it's not looking so shiney after 1 week of salted Scottish roads!!!!

There are a few looking into retro fitting oem cc to a rav, I would think it should be the same on the UC, you might just need to fit the cc stalk and wireing,? I personaly don't think it should be that hard, but whether you need to enable anything in the ECU on a UC I'm not sure.

The Yaris system may be similar to the UC and from information on the Yaris world site the USA cars have a different ECU which accepts CC more easily. The euro cars don't appear to have the redundant wiring etc (no CC indicator on my dash). I'll do some more checking, I'm aiming to pay no more that £300, it's a pity Toyotas system isn't more like some of the Vauxhauls where you plug in a stalk for less than £100 :) .

Belated Greetings to the U/C forums. I like Dave M am a previous Rav4 owner who now drives an U/C, quality motor. Hope you enjoy your ride

Regards Clare

The Yaris system may be similar to the UC and from information on the Yaris world site the USA cars have a different ECU which accepts CC more easily. The euro cars don't appear to have the redundant wiring etc (no CC indicator on my dash). I'll do some more checking, I'm aiming to pay no more that £300, it's a pity Toyotas system isn't more like some of the Vauxhauls where you plug in a stalk for less than £100 :) .

Do the uk UC vehicles come with CC If you specified it?

No it,s not an option on Uk U/C,s, whether it be a Petrol or Diesel.

Regards Clare

Thanks Clare, my center manager is from the Isle of Man (assuming that's where you are). I had looked at Rav4's recently but the way fuel prices are going thought it was time to cut down running costs, that road tax is cheaper too :-)

As Clare said CC is not even optional which is a shame. I had CC on the Tucson and miss it for longer journeys, it's great for keeping your speed down on longer drives. I read that a retro fit system does not necessarily void your warranty only if fitting said system causes a fault with the car.

Mud flaps now fitted and towbar next, I have the dedicated towbar wiring kit but no instructions so will have to get in touch with the supplier.

Cheers

Yep Steve a Yorkshire girl gone across!!!!!

Regards Clare

I have just spent the weekend doing my first reasonable journey in the UC which was a trip down to Lancashire.

I was cursing Toyota at first because of the lack of CC, allthough I wasn't exactly haring it as I am running in.

But it struck me that Toyota may have called it right to omit the CC on the UC. I dropped down a gear a few

times, and allthough I the the UC is a nippy torquey little thing, I don't think it has the power to justify CC as

you can't leave it in 6th gear and forget about it.

• Like 1

Good comment Dave, I find that on a daily commute say to Douglas ( 20 miles ) I use 5th gear most of the time but it hardly ever goes into 6th gear. The green gearing selector on the dash always directs me to drop down a gear when I up it to 6th gear.

Last year when I went across to the UK ( to Doncaster) it was all motorway and I was in 6th most of the time, but over on island 5th is probably the best gear to be in.

Regards Clare

Averaging about 55Mpg at the moment- well over 60 Mpg in Summer

I will still aim to fit CC, I do a 350 mile round trip every 3 weeks and the first one I made was mostly in 6th.

I've just received the 22 page instructions on fitting the dedicated tow bar wiring, now thinking I should have gone down the universal wiring route as It's a major job fitting the Toyota wiring. I wonder if there is a way of fitting the dedicated kit without having to wire up to the Battery as the instructions show?

Fuel economy is 46mpg, hoping it will improve to nearer Clares 55mpg over time

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links