Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paintwork

Ferguspuskas

I've just bought a 10 month old dark blue metallic avensis from a main dealer and only on first washing it did I notice that it was covered in small stone chips on the bonnet and driver's door (perhaps over 30 in total). My previous car was a passat which I traded in at 8 years old and I don't think I had one chip on the bonnet! Are toyota's known for their soft paintwork?

take it back, for a car thats virtually new its paintwork should be brilliant.

wish I could - needless to say the dealer is not interested. it stills baffles me how the paintwork could get so bad in such a short period of time

How many miles on it ? Why will the dealer not do the job any reason given ? 10 months old on metalic paint "no way" get it back to the dealer and demand they make it look like a 10 month vehicle sounds to me its been driven by a boy racer.

How many miles on it ? Why will the dealer not do the job any reason given ? 10 months old on metalic paint "no way" get it back to the dealer and demand they make it look like a 10 month vehicle sounds to me its been driven by a boy racer.

Could be the difference between solvent based paint and water based paint. Most manufacturers had a phased roll out of using water based paint rather than solvent based. Toyota completed their roll out in 2006. Water based paint does not handle stone chips as well as solvent based paint.

this sounds silly to me surely Mr t would sooner fix this now rather than later under the paintwork warranty, how deep are they, is corrosion gonna be an issue? i'd go to another toyota garage and ask about this especially as the car is an 11 plate. it may only need a going over with cutting compound unless the chips are deep

Thanks guys for the responses - the dealer is taking the view that the numerous chips are "normal wear & tear" - I of course dispute that and have taken the matter now to their customer services - but still no response. I think it has certainly been driven hard - but is still amazes me that a 10 month old car can accumulate all those chips. The chips all show up the 'white underpaint' - but it would be a mess if I attempted to touch them all up! I know the issue re water based paints - but aren't all manufacturers in the same boat? And my car is the worst 11 plate I've seen (been checking other makes etc since the chips started appearing and none are even close. The dealer also helpfully ventured the view that Toyota wouldn't be interested / helpful as regards a complaint re the supposed defective paintwork. Surely there must be an easy scientific way to check the pant quality? I bought the car due to Toyota's reputation for customer services so if I have to take it to them I'll be extremely disappointed if they was their hands of it. Am i the only Toyota owner to have experienced such extreme paint issues in such a new-ish car?

well i would email their customer services with your complaints then cc all the car magazines that champion consumer rights, cant remember off the top of my head but there are certain mags that fight for your rights against car companies who think they have you over a barrel. Name the dealer involved. Normally autocar or someone like that has a problem page plus "which" magazine. No one likes bad publicity unless you're on an itv reality show and hopefully they will square you away. I think the wear and tear excuse is weak for a car thats 10 months old. I bet they sold it using phrases like "as new" or "in showroom condition" or "save ££££ off new price" implying you was getting a car in showroom condition for a bargain price.

I thought there would be more toyota guru's/employees on here to advise you by now.

I have a 10 plate Hilux and i have noticed that the paintwork chips just by looking at it !!!! the quality of paintwork on the recent Toyotas is shocking to say the least, I too have a 10 year old Audi and there is hardly a mark on the paintwork, the toyota has done a tenth of the mileage is just over a year old and it looks like its been to the moon and back !!!! a 25K motor and overall build and paint quality is very disappointing, I am also waiting on a response from Toyota UK.

Wheres all the Kaizan, Kanban and other quality tools that Toyota were renowned for now ??????

There on the downward slope big time and they don't seem to be doing much about it.

I have a 10 plate Hilux and i have noticed that the paintwork chips just by looking at it !!!! the quality of paintwork on the recent Toyotas is shocking to say the least, I too have a 10 year old Audi and there is hardly a mark on the paintwork, the toyota has done a tenth of the mileage is just over a year old and it looks like its been to the moon and back !!!! a 25K motor and overall build and paint quality is very disappointing, I am also waiting on a response from Toyota UK.

Wheres all the Kaizan, Kanban and other quality tools that Toyota were renowned for now ??????

There on the downward slope big time and they don't seem to be doing much about it.

There is an device that most bodyshops have that measures depth of the paint on a car,its just possible that your car for some reason did not have the full spray job done at the factory.

I had a Golf thats near side front wing had loads of chips where the rest that side of the car was ok. it turned out that paint on the wing was a lot thinner.

Was fixed under warrany.

Two comments

1)Are you sure that the paint finish on the bonnet is the original Toyota factory? It is certainly not impossible that there has been some damage repair and that the paint is not as good as the original finish. At the very least I would ask the dealer to check the quality of the finish. I am aware of another manufacturer who tried to wriggle out of corrosion warranty on the grounds that crash repair was not up to original standards so best to clear this up now.

2)Given the recent spate of hard winters...have you ever got stuck behind a gritter! I think 30 seconds could be enough to give the front of the car an absolute pasting

A friend of mine has an Auris they bought from beadles,a main dealer in Kent,it was about two years old,after a couple of weeks they noticed the bonnet was a slightly different shade of dark metallic blue,beadles said not their problem so my friend went higher,in the end they repainted the bonnet(it was a very good match) it turns out they don't paint the bonnets at the same time or place!

I've just bought a 10 month old dark blue metallic avensis from a main dealer and only on first washing it did I notice that it was covered in small stone chips on the bonnet and driver's door (perhaps over 30 in total). My previous car was a passat which I traded in at 8 years old and I don't think I had one chip on the bonnet! Are toyota's known for their soft paintwork?

They probably used a well known trick in the trade before you bought it using a polish like "Back to Blue" etc so you inspect the car and it looks great but the first time you wash it the chips and scratches show up. A local Honda dealer tried that one on with my daughters black Civic Type S, needless to say it cost them time and money later to put it right, so take it back again and tell them you feel you've been conned.

Pete.

I have a dark blue Avensis Nov 2010 with 8,000 miles but not one single stone chip on the bonnet so sounds like yours may have a paint problem. Try Honest John (writes in the Daily Telegraph) who should be able to set out the legal position for you and offer advice on next steps for you. Good luck.

Thanks again guys - grateful for the supportive comments. I'll pursue the suggestions re trying to publicise this issue if as expected I get nowhere with the dealer. The car was owned by the dealer so if there was any accident damage they knew of it. I think there is an issue with the paint quality - has to be - no way there should be as many chips, scores, scratches as this. My wife's Yaris has had one chip on a 4 year old car! Ok - mostly town driving but still....... This could be a LONG fight..................

Owned by the dealer, its been a courtesy car then and had many drivers. I got one of those from ford and the gearbox had to be replaced within two months of ownership, one owner in the logbook but lots of drivers who did not care how it got drove.

Take it back is my advice and do not take no for an answer.

PS i ended up taking my gearbox problem to another ford dealership, as where i bought it was not giving me any joy.

yeah I took it back - they said the numerous chips scratches etc were "normal wear & tear" for a 10 month old car!! They dug heels in at that. I'm trying via their customer services dept before going to Toyota. One of the issues is that the car company I bought it from has a complete monopoly for quite some considerable distance - bad move for the customer when Toyota created the monopoly.

Really grateful again for support etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, first of all, I would say that is poor PDI and service from them, remember you can alway take your servicing else where. Any way,a, fantastic product from a company called chip ex ,it is morgan and mazda approved ,check out the web site, a great product.

I have found that the Toyota paint is really poor quality and scratches really really easily -

Hi there, stuart, i think you are meaning mr AC. toyota in helensburgh are the only one i can think of that you could use. Mr AC does not need any more bad press.

Hi there, stuart, i think you are meaning mr AC. toyota in helensburgh are the only one i can think of that you could use. Mr AC does not need any more bad press.

Unfortunately we seem to have lost a few non-AC Toyota dealers in the Glasgow area recently.

SDM in Falkirk may be another option depending upon where he lives.

I take mine to Western @Sighthill in Edinburgh who I've been very happy with.

Hi there ,forgot ask if the car has been purchased through the toyota approved scheme, as they have 30 day exchange polcy, in addition as part of the scheme the exterior check should have taken place, has this taken place? I would ask to see the PDI sheets proving this has been done or are they just ticking boxes. I would photogragh the defects and be prepared to contact TOYOTA direct. Just a thought.