Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paintwork

Ferguspuskas

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments - much appreciated. After a bit of a tortuous process I got a car swop for some additional cash - but the 'new' car has less mileage and more importantly less scratches / chips. Its not been a good start to my toyota ownership - but hopefully it'll work out ok from here on in. I still think the Toyotas chip way too easily. I had a Passat from 7 years - taking it to eight years old when I traded it in - and can honestly say it had not one chip touched up the whole time I had it! Thanks again guys - all the best

glad that it's worked out.

the move to water-based paints by every manufacturer does seem to mean less hard-wearin paints but also how the car has been driven plays a part - a tailgater will get a lot more chips on front, bonnet etc. than someone who leaves a decent gap.

I have a 2010 black tourer that was near perfect until I met a gritting lorry coming toward me on a B road, he was really shifting and I could see the grit flying high in the air, i had nearly come to a halt when he passed me.

It sounded like stones hitting the car not grit, when I got home and checked the car was full of chips, quite distressing to see particularly as I really look after my car.

Same thing possibly happened to yours.

I hate gritting lorries too, esp when they are in the middle lane of the motorway

Most cases I stay far back and drive slow, stick it on cruise, but twice I've had to drive past and I feel for the car

With regards to paintwork in general, rather than chipping, I find that the black paint really scratches easily, loads of swirl marks etc

Saying that though, I did start going through the process of using clay bar, wax and polish etc one panel at a time and the car looks amazing, but it didn't last very long :(