Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problem On Avensis D4D 05- Starter Motor Problem?

goodraw

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me on a problem thats started last 2-3 weeks on starting the engine...,initially I had to try several times b4 the engine fired, also, when I turned the key after the glow plugs light went out, instead of the engine cranking, there was just a low level noise,like a buzz,then nothing; so I've changed the Battery yesterday, and I've still got the buzz sound on first attempt(no cranking) however, on the second attempt, it has started up, albeit it cranked for several seconds b4 starting; So I'm thinking is this a starter motor problem, or something else? Thanks.

When were the glow plugs and fuel filter last changed?

Hi Mistermena, thanks for replying, yes the fuel filter was changed sept 10 ,done about 11,000 miles since then, with the glow plugs, I've havn't had them done myself since buying it in sept 08, don't know if they were done by previous owner;

Are you sure that all the plugs are heating up as they should do? Might be worth either getting them tested or put a new set in mate...

I am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow, hopefully he will find out, but the noise when i start it sometimes, a short humm ,then nothing, sugests maybe the starter motor or solenoid ?on the second try it usually starts.

Even if your glow plugs weren't working the engine would still turn over on the key. Sounds like the starter solenoid & motor need checked and watch out for those pesky 'bad earth' faults.

Thanks Druid Boy, I will report back once I find out; I'm assuming the solenoid is inside the starter- is this correct?

Had similar problem on my 2004 2.0 D4D. Starter was taken out shaft and bendix cleaned then lubricated with light machine oil and has worked fine since, turned out a very cheap fix might be worth a try.

Thanks Clarke, was it an easy job ? did you have any diagnostics on the electrics done before doing it; the starter motor alone is around £120 b4 labour costs.

Thanks Clarke, was it an easy job ? did you have any diagnostics on the electrics done before doing it; the starter motor alone is around £120 b4 labour costs.

Hello mate, all you need to know is in this attached .pdf file :yes: .

Regards Pete.

STARTING & CHARGING.pdf

• Like 1

Took it to a mechanic today who did a check on the electrical loads etc, and said it was indeed the starter motor, alternator and Battery were ok(Battery new anyway) the cold was making it seize up; havn't had the problem since sunday ; its been quite mild compared to last week, so it makes sense; been quoted £128.00 + vat for recon. including fitting.

Took it to a mechanic today who did a check on the electrical loads etc, and said it was indeed the starter motor, alternator and battery were ok(battery new anyway) the cold was making it seize up; havn't had the problem since sunday ; its been quite mild compared to last week, so it makes sense; been quoted £128.00 + vat for recon. including fitting.

Thats not a bad price at all mate!

btw the hum you hear may just be the fuel pump priming before you start :)

If you can afford to replace it now it could save you a lot of hassle in future - probably at the most inconvenient time. The AA bloke who looked at my car explained about the windings in the starter motor expanding with age and seizing on the motor casing. Eventually it kills the starter and is may take the Battery with it.