Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Standard Stereo

Myles Taylor

Hi all looking at buying an IQ as the lease on my C1 runs out end of march, Ive been looking at the IQ because of the better build quality and better comfort and better specification as the C1 is very spartan. I have test ridden one and done all the relevant inspections but I failed to listen to the stereo. Ive been told it is a very good sounding system as it has six Speakers (the C1only has two on top of the dashboard and its very tinny ) are the bass and treble adjustable if so how is this done as I saw no buttons for this on my test drive, buying an IQrests on this sounding good as I am very happy with everything else but with the C1 I have missed good music. Your comments and advice greatly appreciated, thank you

Welcome to the forum.

If buying the iQ or not, rests on how the Sounds sound, i would go back and listen to them,

as only you will actually know what you like.

The sales person should i hope be able to let you Read the Owners manual and let you adjust the set up to see if it suits your likes.

I like how the standard car sounds, both radio or CD, as that is all i used.

The adjustments & control is done on the steering wheel controller. Base, Treble, fade etc.

Takes a fair bit of trial and error to get it used to the 'Stick' & more so to get it all set and saved & then using the everyday after that becomes second nature IME.

(i hear stuff on a Johnny Cash CD that i never hear when i play the same discs on other players,

some of them pretty expensive, little tweets and train sounds etc.

My favourite place to listen to any music is in an iQ,

it really is the nearest thing to Surround Sound, to my ear. I have 2 ears by the way. lol)

Have fun with your new car when you get it.

george

As George says, perception of sound quality is very subjective. We had an Aygo (same sound system as C1) before upgrading to the iQ and found a significant improvement in sound quality.

Adjustment of bass/treble/balance/fade is a bit of a faff and, first of all, involves a long press of the steering wheel control to initiate the procedure. The radio display shows the level of each sound setting as you make adjustments up/down using the little audio stalk on the steering wheel.

Dave

Ditto! It's a great sounding system. I went from a '99 reg Mondeo with a radio cassette system to CD and Radio, so that was a great step up for me. And, as George and Dave have said, it sounds great, but, there is a possibility that someone might not think it's good enough.

For me though, stepping up from the Mondeo to the iQ was like stepping out of a Gemini capsule into the starship Enterprise. The iQ is the best, well, except for an Aston Martin. :drool:

• 1 month later...

I've driven for miles and has always been dissapointed how iQ sounds at higher volume. Due to lack of any decent audio system manual, it never accured to me there is an option to change bass/treble on iQ. I have been thinking - that's odd, it's like a nobrainer, every car stereo has that, but never had a chance to stop at service for just that one silly question. Will try tommorrow. Crazy!

Cheers, mates!

_ i got a small iq _

Adjustment of bass/treble/balance/fade is a bit of a faff and, first of all, involves a long press of the steering wheel control to initiate the procedure. The radio display shows the level of each sound setting as you make adjustments up/down using the little audio stalk on the steering wheel.

I used my wife's last night and it was a real pain to do anything such as turning off TP. As for sound quality, I honestly found it to be clear but lifeless which is a shame. For reference, my normal car audio is a TNS 700 head unit in an Avensis.

From what I've read many of the stereos on iQs at dealerships are not set up correctly and have the vehicle selection option not set to iQ. This apparently makes a huge difference in the sound. So you may want to make sure the one you testdrive is set correctly. The salesperson *should* know how to do this, but the information is in the manual if they don't.

From what I've read many of the stereos on iQs at dealerships are not set up correctly and have the vehicle selection option not set to iQ. This apparently makes a huge difference in the sound. So you may want to make sure the one you testdrive is set correctly. The salesperson *should* know how to do this, but the information is in the manual if they don't.

Welcome to the forum Paul.

Have you bagged yourself a brand new iQ? With/without satnav?

I'm not familiar with the 'vehicle selection option'. Where in the audio menu is this? I wonder if this only applies to iQs with the sat nav?

Dave

Need a help here! Tried various button long presses with car on and off etc. Didn't work. Please advise, which button should I press in order to get to bass/treble etc options? Should the car be idling or on 1st or 2nd start depress without engine running?

Thanks in advance,

_ I got a small iq _

I've driven for miles and has always been dissapointed how iQ sounds at higher volume. Due to lack of any decent audio system manual, it never accured to me there is an option to change bass/treble on iQ. I have been thinking - that's odd, it's like a nobrainer, every car stereo has that, but never had a chance to stop at service for just that one silly question. Will try tommorrow.

Need a help here! Tried various button long presses with car on and off etc. Didn't work. Please advise, which button should I press in order to get to bass/treble etc options? Should the car be idling or on 1st or 2nd start depress without engine running?

Thanks in advance,

_ I got a small iq _

That got me for a while too. Press the mode button with thr radio or cd on until the first beep, it doesn't say "menu" or anything which the manual implies. Then release the mode button before the second beep. You should now be in the setup menu.

Welcome to the forum Paul.

Have you bagged yourself a brand new iQ? With/without satnav?

I'm not familiar with the 'vehicle selection option'. Where in the audio menu is this? I wonder if this only applies to iQs with the sat nav?

Dave

Nice to be here. This is one of the better iQ forums I've found. I'm actually still waiting for mine to be shipped to my local dealer. It's still held up at the shipping port. Last I heard it should arrive middle of next week. I tried hard to get a satnav, but in Canada it's not an option. I went as far as trying to get one from a dealer in the USA and get it installed, but even though the option lists for $2k in the USA, the dealer in Canada wanted to charge me $4k, plus install. A bit outragous I think.

Regarding the information I have for the vehicle option for the audio that I located was specifically for the Pioneer premium radio upgrade, and not the nav system. It may or may not exist on the very base level radio. Unsure of that. How to select the proper vehicle is as follows;

Above the only button on the radio (this is the Pioneer premium radio) there are 9 icons. One of them looks like a wrench. pressing that brings you to the setup menu.One of the options displayed at that point is 'System'. Press that, and then one of the selections is 'Type of Vehicle'. At that point it should list the various vehicle types, one of which is iQ.

As I said, this is only for the Pioneer premium radio. I don't know if the base radio has something similar or not, although I suspect the satnav likely has something similar.

As for where I got the manual, I downloaded it from http://www.scion.com/manuals/. Specificaly page 54.

Guys, there is a difference in products used between countries. I'm not sure of the standard radio here in the UK, but the satnav version is the TNS-510, which is a breeze to setup. Not bad sound out of it either. Taz (Surfcitylocal) might be a better person to speak to about the US setups.

Fish

I have read that the standard stereo is hard to use, so try going for the navigation system, as it's very easy to control. The sound for me is very good too.

I have the SNS200 Navigation unit and I am extremely pleased with it.

My wife's car just has the standard stereo which in terms of useability is fine for most useage but if you want to change settings then you are not going to do that whilst driving.

I only realised the other day that the settings for the standard UK radio are set individually for each input.

I sat in the car when I first bought it, turned the radio on and set the Bass, Treble, Balance Etc. so it sounded pretty good. It wasn't until browsing the manual the other night I found you need to do the same for each source so insert a CD and do it again, insert a CD with MP3 files on it, do it again and plug your iPhone into the AUX socket and do it again.

Nice to have the option though as sound quality does vary between them

Craig.

I have read that the standard stereo is hard to use, so try going for the navigation system, as it's very easy to control. The sound for me is very good too.

The STD stereo couldn't be easier to use. Once set up for Bass/Trebble/Balance & Fade, I find they don't need adjusting again.

It does the job really well and I for one wouldn't evene consider changing it. :)

The STD stereo couldn't be easier to use. Once set up for Bass/Trebble/Balance & Fade, I find they don't need adjusting again.

It does the job really well and I for one wouldn't evene consider changing it. :)

As its a factory fitted item, it would be hard to change anyway. I still prefer the navigation version. I like the look with the navigation unit in place. If I was buying from new or second hand, I would always aim for the sat nav.

I assume the cost to change to satnav after the car is purchased is somewhat expensive? Has anyone ever priced up all the parts from the Toyota dealer?

On top of the satnav unit I guess you need trim panels, mounting brackets, aerial, airbag indicator, wiring loom Etc? I too like the look of the satnav option and would find it very useful to have in the car but I guess it can't compete with the £100 Tomtom for value?

Craig.

We've got the standard stereo in ours and I would say it wasn't great, really the only thing I'd say that lets the car down a little bit. Don't get me wrong I've heard worse, but many cars are far better as standard.

I've tweeked the bass, treble, fade etc and this has made a marked improvement, however, I still feel it is lacking somewhat. This is especially noticeable at on motorways and dual carriageways.

For a small city car in and around town I think it is a good stereo, but if it is a major part of your decision to buy an IQ I'd seriously be advising that you go for a test drive up to motorway speed and see what you think.

Thanks mwilson, all went fine. But radio station tuning and saving is a real pain :)

Sincerely,

_ I got a small iq _

That got me for a while too. Press the mode button with thr radio or cd on until the first beep, it doesn't say "menu" or anything which the manual implies. Then release the mode button before the second beep. You should now be in the setup menu.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links