Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Fuel Consumtion

Crystalcat

Some people on this thread should re read the original post, cold diesel engine, very short urban journey, D-Cat DPF, Autobox, recent cold weather.

Just about the worst combination for fuel economy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoovie

• Crystalcat

• cabcurtains

• Gods_gift

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoovie.

I would have thought your engine was run in by now but Chris might be right. Mine has done 8800 miles.

In the days of cards on radiators, the belt driven fan was running all the time. These days the coolant flow is excluded from the radiator by the thermostst and the fan only runs on demand. The problem is that the engine takes such a long time to warm up and during that time the injectors deliver an enriched volume to aid combustion - just like having the choke out. In addition all these very efficient low viscosity lubricants are as thick as they will ever be due to the low temp.

However, once fully up to temperature the engine itself will react quite well to the low temperature and the efficiency of intercooling goes right up. In theory it should run better on the very low temperature, high density charge.

I check my tyres regularly but not so much that I am adjusting them any more than weekly.

I find it can depend where you get your fuel.

I am getting god awful results if I put in £30 at Sainsbury, but if I go to Morrisons, at the same price and amount, I get far more. I suspect some supermarkets really are selling crap.

Just be aware that Morrisions sell (or were selling) higher bio content diesel than most other forecourts, so be sure it doesn't exceed the recommended amount that Toyota quote in the handbook.

Personally I only use Shell fuels. They normally price match local supermarkets anyway, and the quality is much better, and as a result, so is mpg.

I'm stuck with supermarkets. i would go to a Shell near me, but because of where it is built it would mean to get out I would have to drive onto the motorway and come back off. We are talking a 25-30 minute trip.

I did like the V power fuel though, a far nicer ride, and although it costs a bit more, I did get normal MPG overall.

As someone said, this time of year though, and with prices the way they are for diesel, It may not be that unusual to have poor results.

Totally understand where you are coming from. 30 mins round trip is a bit extreme to fill up with fuel.

I'm lucky enough to have a Shell Garage less than 3 miles away from home, from work, from my parents house, and any where else I tend to drive to, so it's never a big problem for me.

Like I said though, keep an eye on the bio content as I believe it used to be 7% in Morrisons fuel, and most manufacturers recommend 5% or less.

I cant understand all this talk of advanced fuels seems like magic beans to me. The engine fuel management system is still squirting in the same amount of fuel so it must be about the octane but this has other side effects i.e running hotter if the octane is higher/burns hotter. Feel free to enlighten me and sorry for going off topic.

Octane is in Petrol

Cetane is in diesel.

The difference is simply how its manufactured. The likes of Shell/BP/Total include additive packages and increased cetane levels for a cleaner burn. This in turn creates less soot, cleaner fuel system components and in some cases, better MPG.

Obviously most people assume that all fuel is the same, and worry about the cost at the pump, and not the long term cost of clogged parts that need cleaning/replacing further down the line.

I have always found Shell to be roughly the same price as the nearest supermarket, plus I get loyalty points on each litre which adds up to money off vouchers. My last tank of fuel cost 86ppl thanks to the money off vouchers, and I got a decent fuel.

On that note I will leave this topic, as it is bound to spiral into the difference between s/m fuel and premium fuel, and i've been there many times.

And has one noticed how the price of diesel is moving up again. We,ve had 2 rises this week and is now £1.50 per ltr. When will it end!!!!!

Regards Clare

Still magic beans lol

Price of diesel/petrol will keep going up until the middle east is sorted out.

I'm stuck with supermarkets. i would go to a shell near me, but because of where it is built it would mean to get out I would have to drive onto the motorway and come back off. We are talking a 25-30 minute trip.

I did like the V power fuel though, a far nicer ride, and although it costs a bit more, I did get normal MPG overall.

As someone said, this time of year though, and with prices the way they are for diesel, It may not be that unusual to have poor results

Just a suggestion, I am not into this supermarket Vpower thing, as I,ve said before my cab runs on whatever S***E fuel is available and has done 250,000mls My Rav runs on superduper mega fuel plus if i cannot get it, i put a squirt of Millers cetane booster or power max etc, so if you can only get supermarket fuel why not get a little additive, Wynns Gold,or millers. or BG244 or whatever, not sure how much they benefit, Some on here swear by them. but at least you will probably feel better, :drunk: Stew

P.S. Hoovie, what happened to the Scangauge?????

An alternative additive would be 2 stroke oil. I'm currently using it, and my car is running better than it ever has when I tried Millers, or Vpower and I rate both.

But that is another snake oil/magic bean argument that I won't get involved in, i'll just continue to get better mpg with a silky smooth engine whilst keeping the internals clean and a smile on my face :) (And receiving money off vouchers and free hot drinks/car wash)

So the results are in:

Before the long journey I filled up with vpower diesel reset obc.

On the way I put it in sport mode (the Toyota salesman said the button would make no difference except it would use more fuel - so under the circumstances I havent used it until now). But now felt I had nothing to loose.

In sport mode the rav averaged a fantastic 37.5 - as good as the books say.

On the way back I left it out of sport mode - would you believe it did less mpg at 34.9.

This has proved a couple of things amongst others:

The salesman didn't know what he was talking about

& my poor fuel consumption is obviously due to the type of driving I'm doing ie short journeys thus not letting the engine get warm to work at its optimum performance.

So vpower & sport mode for me from now on.

Janet, are you sure your 'Sport Mode' button is working the correct way round?

well, it must be a relief to know your car is ok :)

the sport v non-sport mode effect you got makes no sense does it. I'll have to put mine into sport for the current tankfull and see if mine improves as well :D

Janet, are you sure your 'Sport Mode' button is working the correct way round?

There is a dash light that comes up as well when 'sport' is on :)

Not sure where to fit it!?

on the RAV4.2 i had it above the mirror. and on the Qashqai, RHS of dash, but on the 4.3 not found a good location. Where is yours fitted?

So the results are in:

Before the long journey I filled up with vpower diesel reset obc.

On the way I put it in sport mode (the Toyota salesman said the button would make no difference except it would use more fuel - so under the circumstances I havent used it until now). But now felt I had nothing to loose.

In sport mode the rav averaged a fantastic 37.5 - as good as the books say.

On the way back I left it out of sport mode - would you believe it did less mpg at 34.9.

This has proved a couple of things amongst others:

The salesman didn't know what he was talking about

& my poor fuel consumption is obviously due to the type of driving I'm doing ie short journeys thus not letting the engine get warm to work at its optimum performance.

So vpower & sport mode for me from now on.

was this directly after your husband's Italian Tune Up?

Well what can I say

Yes sport mode was definitely working as the light was on on the dashboard.

There was no one more surprised than me at the results as when we got to the destination in sport mode and got 35.7 couldn't wait to see what we got on the way back without sport mode , bearing in mind the salesman's comments. But hubby drove back & has a heavier right foot but even so to get 2mpg less was very surprising.

Perhaps sport mode makes the engine work more efficiently?

However, it just proves that there is nothing wrong with the car it's just not designed to do short journeys and be efficient .

As to the Italian tune up - if he did he kept it really quiet!!! As an Italian job would be his dream car.

We are going away next weekend too with motorway driving so we'll see what happens then too & I'll let you know again.

Guess it might be sport mode all the way from now on? Zoom .......................,,,

As a comparison, why not see how the MPG ends up on a full tank of Vpower, then drive economically on your usual fuel, and see if you notice a difference in MPG or the way the car drives.

Your 'test' might back up mine (and others) findings of decent fuel, and show some other skeptics that it might be worth a go.

Glad its running better anyway. Happy motoring.

Not sure where to fit it!?

on the RAV4.2 i had it above the mirror. and on the Qashqai, RHS of dash, but on the 4.3 not found a good location. Where is yours fitted?

Don,t know if your new motor is the same layout, but mines to the right of the steering wheel where those 3 blank switches are, right above the obd port, however sometimes at night it reflects in the drivers door mirror, so try it first, I don't take my Rav out in the dark :) Stew

mynewengine067.jpg

Hey stew,

think the later RAVs are different there now. Got a little group of 4 switches there now- arranged 2x2 and in in use on mine (includes the 'Sport' switch).

Just had a goo to see how it fits and it blocks off one of them, so have to keep looking :(

Some of the US guys have it on the steering console but that would partly block the Dash info panel on our RAVs.

Some of the US guys have it on the steering console but that would partly block the Dash info panel on our RAVs.

How about a variation on this bracket I made as a SatNav mount?

SANY0816.jpg

You could make one to fit to the right of the binnacle.

Glad your sorted, i knew you would be and the car is fine :clap::cheers:

Glad your sorted, i knew you would be and the car is fine :clap::cheers:

Except now I want to know why MY economy is 20% below hers !!!!

(oh, foot, right, lead - enough said .... )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links