Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Advice With A Yaris Mmt Clutch Please:)

wassap

Hi Folks,

Looking for a few pointers and advise please. Ive got a 1.0 Yaris MMT on on a 53 plate, we've not long had it, sadly at 60k the clutch is shot. Now im a fairly competant DIY mechanic so im tempted to do the job myself.

But as its the MMT im assuming its all new fangled technology which will make things impossible for us home diy'ers to work on out cars, so im asking if anyone can give me any advice on whats involved with changing the clutch? does anything have to be reset, ECU/actuator wise? or is it a simple case of popping in a clutch and pressure plate. How does the MMT system work anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice:)

Hi Folks,

Looking for a few pointers and advise please. Ive got a 1.0 Yaris MMT on on a 53 plate, we've not long had it, sadly at 60k the clutch is shot. Now im a fairly competant DIY mechanic so im tempted to do the job myself.

But as its the MMT im assuming its all new fangled technology which will make things impossible for us home diy'ers to work on out cars, so im asking if anyone can give me any advice on whats involved with changing the clutch? does anything have to be reset, ECU/actuator wise? or is it a simple case of popping in a clutch and pressure plate. How does the MMT system work anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice:)

This thread may help..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131097

Although the Haynes manual makes no monition of the setting up and shutting down procedure, our Toyota Technician on here says it can't be done at home. I get the feeling it could be done at home but you would need to tow it to a Toyota dealer to be setup......should they want to get involved with it .

you can do it at home but you cant reset the clutch count or relearn the gearbox/ecu...

if you do it at home you save labour but you will need to pay for reprogramming around 1hour

or get the car to toyota and pay the 4.3 hours to do the whole job

Can't you just unplug the Battery for a bit to reset it?

That's worked for a lot of MMT owners trying to decrapify the clutch when it starts acting up.

no you cant...that doesnt reset the clutch count or relearn the ecu....i have went past the point of explaining why it doesnt work when the clutch has been replaced!! it might be a temp fix if your not replacing the clutch but WILL NOT WORK WHEN REPLACING THE CLUTCH....if you want the mmt to work correctly it needs to be programmed using it2(toyotas diag tool)

Well that confirms it, the cars un movable now anyway, so the plan is to change the clutch myself, and get a mate to trailer it to the local toyota dealer.

I assume people like MR Clutch dont touch these cars either?

Thanks for the advice Ormi!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, I did save some cash cos of you guys, did the clutch ourselves and got Toyota to reset it for £100.

Gonna sell the car now, as this is the worst auto car i have ever driven. Going to sell it and buy a manual, much nicer to drive.

But thanks to you all :)

And thank you for telling us how you got on! Lot of people forget that so we never know if things got fixed or not. Glad you got it fixed and a new plan tho'; :thumbsup:

Trading it in for a manual one is deffo a good idea - It's sooooo much nicer as a manual! :D