Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Would You Use As Dealer For Brakes?

BenRM

Cheers again, everyone.

Big Kev. The only thing I'm confident about is that I'm not confident. (Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact I'd be handing the car back over to the wife/kids etc. I'd probably have a go.)

Kingo. Thanks for the offer. I'll check with my MOT garage that they're happy to do it if I supply the parts and - if so - I'll probably come back to you, if that's okay.

Toyota website's quoting £230 for front discs and pads. But - like I said - they're a 45 min drive away and I'm not that impressed with them recently after getting the car back scratched.

Also asked them to look into whether I can get a Toyota contribution to the cost of fixing the steering click (intermediate shaft) problem (since l'd brought it up with them repeatedly while the car was still under warranty and they'd tightened something to make it go away for a few days). They've been "putting in a claim with Toyota" and promising to call me back within a week, now, for over two years. Now it's the same thing with the scratch. I'm beginning to think they've a corporate policy of dealing with problems by telling you they need to look into it and call you back, and then never calling back.

What annoys me is that I'm not one of those pain-in-the-***** customers either. I'm much more likely to just put up with something than spend a load of time hassling if it's small. But this is turning into a proper nuisance.

aye Linton min....respeck on that one......have done pads on both our Ravs, but these not being given over to others' safety (except wife of course, and she's well insured....oany kiddin').

Big Kev

I do most servicing myself now it's out of warranty as I don't trust the dealers or part replacement places. Our dealer screwed us over on servicing, at the first service I done outside of the dealer warranty we discovered the oil and pollen filters had never been changed; even though we'd been charged for them. The reason I do it is: because I know it's done and done properly when I do it. Only thing I would possibly get done at a garage is the timing belt incase it went bang afterward and of course the MoT (which I have done at an independant).

Just to note brake disks unless your doing urban area driving (lots of stop start) should last 50-60,000 miles pads about 12-16,000 (fronts) and 20-25,000 rears. Brake fluid just needs topping up at oil changes (15,000). I live in Newcastle and do lots of miles due to work down to London in our Rav (56 plate XT4 2.2D) I've just hit 99,000 miles and it's sweet as a nut apart from my rear anti roll bar problem at the moment.

I learn that dealer servicing schedules differ depending on if it's a lease car or personal purchase. I had a VW Golf company lease car serviced by the dealer every 20-25,000 miles but my ex's Golf had to be done every 12,000 to keep their warranty up (utter con).

I'd recommend shopping around for brake disks and pads places like eurocarparts are pretty good at normal spares like this and deliver to your door. Front disks and pads with a mate or son to help take around 2-3 hours depending on how skilled you are, to do all round I'd say 3 hours if you know how to use a spanner and have the tools.

You sound like me........ :lol:

just out of interest what oil do you feed your engine?

99K miles is good going!!!.......we need to celebrate :toot:

• 1 year later...

My mot and service are due very soon...and I know my brake pads were advised on my last mot! Since I have a service plan I was thinking of asking them when I book it in to do the brakes, as I'm sure if the service plan gives you 10% off for parts and labour on any work carried out as a result of the service, it will then apply to brakes?

Does it sound more appealing to use Toyota if they are giving 10% off?

Recently supplied rear discs, pads, handbrake shoes for Mr.T to fit, Patrick,, and was surprised at their low labour only rate. Their parts prices are normally the killer, but cost them from Kingo at his customary discount. If your brakes were an advisory 12 months ago, they must now be dangerous, or last tester needed some unnecessary work to do.....?

Big Kev

Toyota Fixed Price Repair costs: front pads £110, rear £100 for Rav4 2004 onwards

Toyota Fixed Price Repair costs: front pads £110, rear £100 for Rav4 2004 onwards

Snot bad at all......just hope discs are ok......?

Add another £130 for front discs, £120 for rear discs fitted.

Add another £130 for front discs, £120 for rear discs fitted.

Perfectly good pattern parts available at less than half of that, Mikey.

Are the rears difficult ? I though it was just a case of slacking off the handbrake ajuster and taking them off carefully ?

I did my fronts a couple of months ago and it really was a straightforward job ..

Look here for the information and have a go !

Are the rears difficult ? I though it was just a case of slacking off the handbrake ajuster and taking them off carefully ?I did my fronts a couple of months ago and it really was a straightforward job ..Look here for the information and have a go !

Rear pads only a dawdle, Charlie....to do discs therefore handbrake shoes is a right wee fiddle......me and you do not have that patience any more.....trust me.......

• Like 1

Are the rears difficult ? I though it was just a case of slacking off the handbrake ajuster and taking them off carefully ?I did my fronts a couple of months ago and it really was a straightforward job ..Look here for the information and have a go !

Rear pads only a dawdle, Charlie....to do discs therefore handbrake shoes is a right wee fiddle......me and you do not have that patience any more.....trust me.......

So is it not possible to slacken off the handbrake and slip the discs off and new ones on ? Or do the handbrake shoes come apart when doing this ?

• Like 1

The problem is Charlie that if you change the rear discs and the handbrake part is worn (it looks like a boater hat with the drum on the inside) then you will have trouble bedding the old shoes to the new discs because the they are static brakes. You can hurry the process by dragging them but there is a significant risk of getting them very hot very quick and the linings will drop off the shoes if the bond fails.

For that reason I personally always change the shoes if I change the discs but as Kev says, they are a !Removed! and 17/16 (which is just over 2 whores) unless you have a decent amount of patience. They are simply fiddly. I recently change a handbrake cable on a 4.3 (I was told it was the first one ever ordered in this country as a spare part from Toyota). When I tried to fasten the hold down clips on th shoes they kept flying off. My neighbour couldn't understand why he heard "tinkle, tinkle, tinkle - f*** it about 70 times consecutavely but hear it he did. If you have a go just photograph the brake first from every angle and make sure you have a full accessory kit off Kingo as they were shot on the one I did.

Now having said all that, it doesn't take long to get the rear discs off if you want to try new discs with the old shoes. It might be OK and if not, then you can tackle the shoes.

Thanks Don..

I dont need rear discs but thought it worth an ask....

Gotta say now that wifey's car running on all new discs, pads, and fluid, brakes are stunningly good.....deffo worth doing. Those 4.2 discs really do rot badly.

In theory the parking brake should only be applied when the car is static, so they should last the life of the car, my last trip to my rip off local dealer proved to me Don't take thier word for anything

B-A

In theory the parking brake should only be applied when the car is static, so they should last the life of the car, my last trip to my rip off local dealer proved to me Don't take thier word for anything

B-A

Theory shaky George, as after 8 winters wife's handbrake shoes were showing mild evidence of cracking up (metal frames mint though), and at some point when it comes to changing discs, new shoes would be fitted and bedded in to new discs.

Tech Kev

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links