Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dtc P1135 Following Jump Start. Coincidence, Or Sheer Bad Luck?

ShamblesX

Been a while since I was last here (probably because we've been trouble free!).

We've got a CEL showing and my Torque app showed it as P1135 (Air/Fuel sensor heater circuit response, bank 1 sensor 1). I cleared it but it returns after a few minutes on the road.

Now, the thing is, we didn't have this before last Saturday when my missus rang and said the RAV wouldn't start. She only drives at night so the Battery hardly has time to charge; I had to charge it up (original battery) 3 weeks ago due to the same battery-unfriendly night-time usage. So I jumped it and it started immediately and ran beautifully, but when she set off she says the CEL lit up. I cleared the fault yesterday but it returned.

I fitted a brand new fully charged Battery on Sunday.

I've read many threads regarding this sensor but I'm a bit spooked as to why jumping the RAV brought it on like this. I don't like spooky things.

Anyway, it's in tomorrow for a pre-planned service & MOT but I don't want Mr T saying he wants £170+vat for a sensor when there's a chance it could be something else like a spike thats causing the code to show.

It's a 2003 3-door VVTi "Edge" (4.2?) and it's a cracker with just 66,000 miles up front.

I'd appreciate any thoughts before I go for the service.

Thanks for listening :canadian:

Been a while since I was last here (probably because we've been trouble free!).

We've got a CEL showing and my Torque app showed it as P1135 (Air/Fuel sensor heater circuit response, bank 1 sensor 1). I cleared it but it returns after a few minutes on the road.

Now, the thing is, we didn't have this before last Saturday when my missus rang and said the RAV wouldn't start. She only drives at night so the battery hardly has time to charge; I had to charge it up (original battery) 3 weeks ago due to the same battery-unfriendly night-time usage. So I jumped it and it started immediately and ran beautifully, but when she set off she says the CEL lit up. I cleared the fault yesterday but it returned.

I fitted a brand new fully charged battery on Sunday.

I've read many threads regarding this sensor but I'm a bit spooked as to why jumping the RAV brought it on like this. I don't like spooky things.

Anyway, it's in tomorrow for a pre-planned service & MOT but I don't want Mr T saying he wants £170+vat for a sensor when there's a chance it could be something else like a spike thats causing the code to show.

It's a 2003 3-door VVTi "Edge" (4.2?) and it's a cracker with just 66,000 miles up front.

I'd appreciate any thoughts before I go for the service.

Thanks for listening :canadian:

I cannot help you out with your query as such, but when you take your car in have a word with the service manager and tell him exactly what you have told us including that you do not want to pay for a sensor, when theres a chance it could be something else, and i find, certainly with the dealer i use (Lindop) that they will genuinely try to help as best they can.. :thumbsup: Stew

Thanks for that reply Stew, much appreciated.

I'l do what you suggested; normally I'd just leave the cars with the receptionist (I've got an i30 going in for MOT at the same time) but I'll ask to see the service chief :driving:

Spent quite some time with the [very handy] service manager, explaining how the warning light came to be on.

They too couldn't get it to extinguish for more than a few minutes, hence it appeared on the Safety report:

Rav3Report-1.jpg

Interestingly enough, he said the MOT showed up no emissions worries:

CO (Max 0.20%) value 0.09%

HC (Max 200 ppm) value 8 ppm

Lamda (0.97-1.03) value 1.00

So, to get the lamp off would cost me a minimum of £287, which would not be guaranteed to cure the underlying fault. He didn't push this, which is yet another thumbs up to that dealership :thumbsup:

So, for the time being anyway, the Cel/Mil stays lit and we just live with it.

Cheers

It is good they are being honest with you on the fix prospects, however it would have been a simple exercise to test the sensors in situ and check that there was power reaching the heater element. I don't know how the light will affect the next MOT with the new MOT regulations now in place as all emmisions systems must be fitted and working, therefore a light saying there is a problem even if the emmisions are good may cause a fail. Something that maybe needs looking into.