Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Cover Number Plate When Selling A Car?

Whiteclaw

Been looking to buy a new car, but at times, the number plates have been covered up. Is it purely to prevent some identity vehicle theft? Dodgy reasons? Would you even look at a car if this happened?

I believe that its a way of covering things up as you can't use the reg to perform a HPI check!... I'd avoid any car that had its number covered up unless the owner supplied you with some details!... Lots of cars on eBay have there number plate hidden!... The good sellers (With nothing to hide) show the plate...

I cover mine in photos in fear of someone cloning the plates, so easy now with the internet. I think that's why most cover up.

If your are interested in the car the buyer will give you those details anyway.

I can see both sides of the coin. As a security aware individual I wouldn't post the vrm in plain view for the car to be cached in Google.

Would hapilly share it with any prospective buyers if they asked though.

Then again I also understand for a prospective buyer the question may exist about what you have to hide. Depends on the motivation of the seller, there are people happy to show the plates that have sold cars on eBay that the plates don't belong to so it's swings and roundabouts.

I would suggest seeing how willing they are to divluge the vrm after a message via eBay and take it from there.

Interesting points. I have asked 1, so will see what happens. Just curious as to the whole things. Surely, if it is dodgy, they will know that the buyer will return or report the person though, or does nothing really happen?

I despise having to pay for a HPI check though, !Removed! cheek if you ask me.

I do all free checks 1st, then if I really like the car and want to buy it, I get a hpi check done, if clear I buy it, I use hpi just as a backup, to verify my own findings................

I am fixated on the reg dates now. My Rav is oldish so have been paying the fixed tax rate. I am disgusted by the new rates though, well not that new, 2001 new. I really am. Who wants to pay nearly £500 a year in car tax.

Yep pre march 2001 its a fixed rate, after that it varies by emissions? It's crazy the price of road tax, on some vehicles, but a mate of mine has a audi A3 1.9 diesel 2008 and his road tax is £35 pa. Low emissions aparently.......

WOW. I never knew that car was so economical emissions wise. What about if you convert a car to LPG? Does that do anything to emissions? Could be tempted to just go for the car I want, temporarily pay the new tax rate and then convert, if it did anything.

I was having a gnader at insurance groups too. I have never really looked at all this, usually I would gander and see what I like, but the number plate business has made me look into all this.

I hear a couple of Toyotas are insurance group 1 or 2, not sure on the road tax.

Not sure about the lpg mate, if it ran solely on lpg then i presume there will be no road tax?

As for the insurance groups, I find the grouping numbers don't make much difference anymore, it all depends on where you live, crime rates etc.......

Unfortunately its probably all too easy for unscrubulous types to nick a car and if another car the same is being sold online - have a plate made up

to match the online car. The online car wouldn't be actually stolen - so hence with the cloned plates - ANPR cameras wouldn't pick it up.

The only thing i would say is that all these security measures can potentially back fire, a seller will give you the reg number to do a HPI check

but how does the seller know who they are talking to.

It reminds me of the security advice to not leave keys visible - but if you get dodgy types breaking into the house for keys - its almost getting arguable that given the types of criminals out there now - its nearly better to let the keys where they can be found* - and let them have the car.

The problem being that criminals now aren't afraid to come into owners bedrooms to go looking for the keys - truly horrible stuff.

* i don't mean leaving them visible when peering through the letter box - i mean visible to anyone that breaks in - ie they will find them

before getting to the bedroom.

Red diesel

I alwys remove my reg's from any pictures personally or for sale,

purely for the purpose of i dont want my car cloned as i cant be bothered with the hassle so its easier spening 2mins in paint editing the photo

Yep good point its all the hassle you well get, parking tickets, speeding fines, police pulling you over all the time, thinking you are that armed robber they were after.

So much easier just to cover your plates. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links