Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommended First Corolla ?

Really like the Toyota Corolla from 2002 onwards.

Looking to buy a Corolla as my second car and was wondering what one you would recommend ?

Trying to keep cost of insurance low and cost of the actual car reasonably low.

The 1.4 and 2.0 D4Ds are quite cheap to run, tax and insure but are still relatively expensive to buy and it helps to have a mate who knows about cars who can look over it; The diesel engines are pretty solid and nigh-on indestructible if they've been looked after and serviced regularly, but if they haven't then they're hideously expensive to sort out if they develop any major problems.

The 1.4 is very frugal, and the 2.0 slightly less so, but it has a lot more pull. They aren't great for mostly-city driving tho' (The 2.0 especially as the clutch is very heavily sprung - I get quite a knee ache driving my brothers in start-stop traffic :lol:)

I don't have as much experience with the petrol ones alas, but I'm sure there are loads of people here who can help there :lol:

Would prefer a 1.6 or 1.8!

And It would take me a long time to save for a T-sport atm haha, especially with the cost for insurance.

So I want a lower standard Corolla since I dont want to be running around in a Saxo for much longer!

I've got a 1.4 T3 as my second car and it's perfect - decent MPG, reliable, good spec. etc.

The power is fine for me, has a decent output for a 1.4.

I have a 2006 1.4 corolla and I am 18. It is in a very low insurance group for the how powerful it is compared to other cars in this class, and it is also alot larger. Put it this way a 1.4 Peugeot 206 hdi is in insurance group 5, and that is smaller and alot less powerful.

In terms of fuel economy goes, Its not great over 75mph as the engine is revving fairly high due to the short gearing, but apart from that on A roads and normal city driving it is great. Just dont drive with a heavy foot :P. The clutch on the petrol ones are a lot lighter than the diesel models as My brother has a 2.0 d4d corolla.

In terms of reliability, the car is virtually faultless, however make sure the oil has been changed regularly in its past as with every car. Interior quality and space is great and I haven't come across a car with a better layour of the dashboard it is very very intuitive.

I would recommend buying one with climate control as it is very handy and you get a much better looking dashboard with silver accenting on these models.

Its not the best car in the corners, but is very capable still but the advantage of this is a very very smooth ride.

:) hope that helps, best of luck

1.4 doesnt seem worth it considering I'll be paying about 3 grand for the car, would rather a larger engine!

Want to get one as close to the t-sport as possible!

Did you guys buy yours upfront? Or on finance ?

Bought mine upfront, probably best to test drive one if you're unsure on engine size. Could we worth getting a 1.4 or 1.6 for a couple of years then get a T-Sport when you can afford ins./running costs?

Well, I'll be going from a 1.1 saxo, so I suppose anything will have more pull haha!

I want to buy a cheap, standard Corolla and spend a bit of money on it, making it look like some of the ones on here.

1.4 doesnt seem worth it considering I'll be paying about 3 grand for the car, would rather a larger engine!

Want to get one as close to the t-sport as possible!

Did you guys buy yours upfront? Or on finance ?

You'd be surprised.. I'm in Wales atm learning to drive in a 1.4TDi Polo with a tuning box to get 100hp... it bloody shifts when you need it to, the key thing to remember with diesels is that they get you from 0-30, 30-40, 40-50 so quickly when the tubby comes on song - which is exactly what you want when you're not motorway driving.

I think you need to go and do some leg-work: go and test drive a 1.4 and 2.0 D4D along with a 1.6 and 1.8 CTS to make up your own mind. We can't really tell you anything besides our experiences and personal preferences.

If you want to drive like your hair's on fire then a 1.6/1.8 T-Sport is what you need to wait for, because a derv just isn't going to be exciting enough for you if you want to ping off at 6500RPM all the time - and believe me that's why I don't own a diesel car out of the 3 on my driveway! :lol:

However if you want a punchy city car that's ideal around town and dual carriageways then go for a derv.

KP

1.4 doesnt seem worth it considering I'll be paying about 3 grand for the car, would rather a larger engine! Want to get one as close to the t-sport as possible! Did you guys buy yours upfront? Or on finance ?
You'd be surprised.. I'm in Wales atm learning to drive in a 1.4TDi Polo with a tuning box to get 100hp... it !Removed! shifts when you need it to, the key thing to remember with diesels is that they get you from 0-30, 30-40, 40-50 so quickly when the tubby comes on song - which is exactly what you want when you're not motorway driving. I think you need to go and do some leg-work: go and test drive a 1.4 and 2.0 D4D along with a 1.6 and 1.8 CTS to make up your own mind. We can't really tell you anything besides our experiences and personal preferences. If you want to drive like your hair's on fire then a 1.6/1.8 T-Sport is what you need to wait for, because a derv just isn't going to be exciting enough for you if you want to ping off at 6500RPM all the time - and believe me that's why I don't own a diesel car out of the 3 on my driveway! :lol: However if you want a punchy city car that's ideal around town and dual carriageways then go for a derv. KP

Don't fancy a diesel.

If i got a 1.4, has it got potential to be tuned and made a little bit faster ?

Was planning on doing that with a 1.6!

And how much cheaper will a 1.4 be than a 1.6 ?

i just really hate driving around in a saxo haha so want a faster, better looking car, just like the Corolla!

I would reckon that a diesel is easier to tune than the petrols, getting bigger power increases for less money....eg tuning box

I would reckon that a diesel is easier to tune than the petrols, getting bigger power increases for less money....eg tuning box

Part of the reason I suggested it, but I think he likes his RPM's! :lol:

Good post KP :thumbsup:

I thought the OP's main concerns were insurance costs which was why I mentioned the diesels, but now I think he means he wants a sporty ride that doesn't have too high insurance :lol:

Good post KP :thumbsup:

I thought the OP's main concerns were insurance costs which was why I mentioned the diesels, but now I think he means he wants a sporty ride that doesn't have too high insurance :lol:

haha yeah, I want a decent looking, and fast (as fast as I can get within my insurance budget) motor!

Is it better to buy one at a low cost then try improve it myself ? Or will I just work up to much of a cost that way ?

And it definately has to be a Corolla! Im set on it now haha.

Also, the sound of a diesel puts me right off! Stupid I know, but it just does.

Where did you guys first start off ?

I have a 1.6 SR, 2007 plate. Its frugal, sporty looking and has a fantastic amount of get up and go for the engine size, plus sounds good with a cone filter. Unfortunately im just about to sell mine, but it's a definite recommended buy from me.

With the way you are talking you want t-sport performance and a 1.4 running bill. It isn't going to happen my friend, so a 1.6 is probably the route you need to go down, then look at getting a t-sport a couple of years down the line when insurance hits a low. :euro:

I have a 1.6 SR, 2007 plate. Its frugal, sporty looking and has a fantastic amount of get up and go for the engine size, plus sounds good with a cone filter. Unfortunately im just about to sell mine, but it's a definite recommended buy from me.

With the way you are talking you want t-sport performance and a 1.4 running bill. It isn't going to happen my friend, so a 1.6 is probably the route you need to go down, then look at getting a t-sport a couple of years down the line when insurance hits a low. :euro:

Yeah a 1.6 would be good! And I wouldnt mind paying more than what i would for a 1.4!

Btw, why are you selling ?

I've just started another thread on why :) I just fancied a change, Something bigger, faster, and with a bit more class in my eyes.

I've just started another thread on why :) I just fancied a change, Something bigger, faster, and with a bit more class in my eyes.

suppose, onwards and upwards haha!

Enjoy the Corolla though ?

Also, for a SR your talking at least 4 grand ?

suppose, onwards and upwards haha!

Enjoy the Corolla though ?

Also, for a SR your talking at least 4 grand ?

Yeah I've loved my corolla. I'm thinking about 6 for mine or there abouts :)

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, starting to look more seriously into buying now.

1.6, 3 door corolla is what I am after. I have been checking insurance prices and 1600 is a slow as I can get it, does this sound about right ?

If thats the lowest you can get , and your happy with that then go for it

http://www2.autotrad...g14jg?logcode=p

Have been looking at this, 66k miles 3k cost.

What yous reckon ?

Thats a seriously cheap car, £600-£1000 off what it retails at. Still some wheels and a rear spoiler on it and it would look spot on.

Got to wonder why its so cheap though?