Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sticking Temperature Gauge?

RichardM95

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about my 1999 1.8 Avensis (7A-FE).

I'm having a small problem with the temperature gauge; the engine and cooling system seem to be working normally, but the temperature needle never budges from the bottom of the dial.

The other day I did a long journey during which the temperature didn't appear to rise, but when I gave the gauge a sharp few taps, the needle rose a little and on subsequent taps the needle rose slowly to the middle.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a fix?

Cheers, Richard

Never heard of that before. It could be the sender unit? Are you sure the thermostat is working properly?

The connector (for the sender unit) is on the aluminium elbow strapped to the rubber pipe which is on the back of the water pump assembly. You will need to remove the air-cleaner unit to get proper access.

With the engine hot - disconnect the wire and earth it - If the needle deflects then you have a faulty sender. Either way trying this may free up the needle at the binnacle end.

Never heard of that before. It could be the sender unit? Are you sure the thermostat is working properly?

The connector (for the sender unit) is on the aluminium elbow strapped to the rubber pipe which is on the back of the water pump assembly. You will need to remove the air-cleaner unit to get proper access.

With the engine hot - disconnect the wire and earth it - If the needle deflects then you have a faulty sender. Either way trying this may free up the needle at the binnacle end.

Cheers for that info, I'll have a look if I get a chance.

If it helps, this afternoon I took the car for a blast, until I was sure the engine should be hot. The gauge was still at cold so I gave it some taps, and as before the gauge rose slowly each time up to normal. I switched off the engine, and the gauge stayed there, showing normal temperature.

Sounding more like a sticking gauge?

Cheers

If by tapping the gauge it moved then i would have suspected a poor wiring connection.

But if it stays on normal temp after cooling down then it does sound like the gauge itself is suspect.

On the MK1 Avensis there is a known issue with the actual guage/dial face peeling up from its mounting plate, they usually peel in the middle around the needle shaft, this stops the needle from moving freely. The fix is simple but fiddly and involves stripping the dial down removing the needle and using a thin, clear double sided tape to refix the face to its plate.

On the MK1 Avensis there is a known issue with the actual guage/dial face peeling up from its mounting plate, they usually peel in the middle around the needle shaft, this stops the needle from moving freely. The fix is simple but fiddly and involves stripping the dial down removing the needle and using a thin, clear double sided tape to refix the face to its plate.

Sounds like it could be the culprit! I'll have a look at this. Is this something you've done yourself, is it a difficult job to do? Could I find a replacement dial and swap it?

Thanks!

Hi, just lurking. I have the same problem on mine. Sticks at the bottom, but tap the gauge and the needle goes up to around halfway. Seems to work normally after the initial tap. Sounds like it's time to get a Haynes manual then.

Hi, just lurking. I have the same problem on mine. Sticks at the bottom, but tap the gauge and the needle goes up to around halfway. Seems to work normally after the initial tap. Sounds like it's time to get a Haynes manual then.

I've got a Haynes manual and it has been useful, but I've not found anything about dismantling the gauge cluster. Removing it from the dashboard looks to be easy though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links