Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner - Oil Light Problem

thedigger

As an interim update, I got the car back to the garage this weekend. The AA towed it back there, despite it being a few miles further than they should have covered.

The garage have lent me another car while it's being looked at (which I've pranged.... I'm such a tit :blow: ). They said it's going to their workshop tomorrow so I should hopefully know whether it's the pressure switch or not by then...

Hi all,

Had an update from the garage today. They had it taken to a garage who confirmed the oil strainer was partially blocked. They have taken the sump off to remove the blockage and the car now drives without the oil pressure light coming on. They are also doing a full service, cleaning the engine and replacing the oil.

Does that sound reasonable?

<Edit> they didn't change the pressure switch incidentally...

The first question I would ask the garage would be "Partially blocked with what ?".

If its burnt oil/sludge, I would be very worried that there is going to be sludge in the rest of the engine.

In this case its very possible that the engine could run fine for a while then block up at a later date.

Have you had a chance to check this cars previous history, it sludge is present I would suspect neglected oil changes.

Did they indicate it had a full service history ?

If its a sludge problem, I would be looking for for some form of exit.

Sorry, didn't mention - it was blocked with sludge. In servicing the engine they will have removed most of the sludge I believe? The service wasn't done by the garage who sold it, but a local mechanic shop.

There isn't a full service history, but the part service history and the colour of the oil in the car when I bought it suggests the oil wasn't that old.

It does sound like the car has a bad case of sludge. Even assuming they clean the sump and flush the engine, there are still loads of small oil galleries where large particles of sludge could be lingering just waiting to break off and starve a bearing.

Its highly likely they will return the car in working order, for how long is anyones guess. Certainly the life of the engine has been significantly shortened.

Sorry, didn't mention - it was blocked with sludge. In servicing the engine they will have removed most of the sludge I believe? The service wasn't done by the garage who sold it, but a local mechanic shop.

There isn't a full service history, but the part service history and the colour of the oil in the car when I bought it suggests the oil wasn't that old.

It's your call mate but I wouldn't want to own a car with an engine that has been starved of oil in that way and the damage may have already been done.

Good luck with which ever way you go .... Pete.

if it were me, I would be looking at if they had anything else I was interested in their stock (and if so, have a damn close look at it) or my money back.

If you do decide to keep it, insist on a 12 month warranty at least (and not one with very low claim limits!)

I suspect that a warranty company would not pay out for a sludge related claim where there was not a full documented service history.

Sludge in this engine probably points to missed oil changes.

Sorry but this is starting to look like it has had a poor service history, missed oil changes, incorrect oil, who knows. It's not about the last oil change but what has gone previously

Are they prepared to stand by any form of engine warranty for an extended period? Most off the peg warranties are a waste of space for large engine claims as the claim limit is often as low as £500

If I were you I would put all this in writing, send it recorded delivery and ask what they propose to do about it? If they say nothing then you might want to start looking to reject the car, who knows, in 6 months you might start having problems

Kingo :thumbsup:

With respect to the OP it is a 2002 Rav with 140K miles on the clock and a Petrol :D ......They are not going to put a new engine in it for him..........Will anything else of the forcourt be any better?

4.2 engines are built like tanks 80.gif

If you keep it just watch the oil colour if it looks sludgy or there are bits in it, change it early to flush out all the !Removed!!!

I never mentioned a new engine ;)

it makes no difference what mileage it has done. This company chose to RETAIL this car to this customer. It does not reduce his statutary rights in any way. What I AM saying is that the car might go on to do 200K without problems, BUT what if it doesn't? You cannot go back in 12 months and argue you had problems with it from day one, you would be laughed out of court

Swapping into another car, a refund, or a full 12 month warranty with no claim limit MIGHT be other options for the OP

Well I surpose its up to the OP, I would have took the sump off and depending what I saw in there, decide what avenue to go up.scratching_chin.gif

I'm still not sure what to do; in fact, until I've seen and driven the car, I won't be able to decide. The garage is 20 miles from where I live, so driving home will be an acid test, bearing in mind the light was coming on within about 3 miles previously.

As for the warranty - it's not a third party warranty, it's with the garage themselves. If they have faith in the car, they should extend it to a reasonable length (6 or ideally 12 months). To be perfectly honest, I'd be happy if they only covered the engine in the warranty. For belt and braces, I'm probably going to buy a third party warranty anyway - from my experience, they don't ask for a full service history, and ask that you have had the car serviced within 12 months of taking the policy out, and get it serviced once during the 12 months of the policy.

Hopefully I'll collect the car tomorrow (and gleefully handback the Shogun Pinin they have lent me.. the only time it felt like it was accelerating was when I went downhill), and will report back with my findings!

Btw, 5w30 fully synth is the best oil for these engines isn't it?

Well I surpose its up to the OP, I would have took the sump off and depending what I saw in there, decide what avenue to go up.scratching_chin.gif

Indeed it is, we got the answer to what was up in post 27, keep up jedi ;)

I wouldnt be happy in the car to be honest, imagine what was happening inside the engine everytime that oil light flashed on / off, and he told you to drive it back to the garage :eek:

I all ready looked at post 5 and suggested in post 9 as to what it could be. :P

But I know what you mean.....How long has it been like this etc,etc.........but then it has done 140k Miles?....... It depends what he has paid for it I surpose...

I dont think he bought it from a main dealer Kingo?..................Did he.....?? :D

, they don't ask for a full service history, and ask that you have had the car serviced within 12 months of taking the policy out, and get it serviced once during the 12 months of the policy.

I doubt any 3rd party company would cover it with 140K on the clock, better if the chap would put something in writing stating he would put right any engine issues for a period of time

No it was bought from a car supermarket, I'm too tired to look what post that was pmsl :D:

During the early part of this thread quite a few Members Myself included advised not getting into negotiations and demanding a refund on the vehicle..

Kingo says its not a right to reject a vehicle within 28 days.. Sorry I'm going to differ on that one, If a vehicle has a fault that makes it of unmerchantable quality then You DO have a right to reject ...

Personally I would NOT have bought that car as soon as I looked under the oil filler cap.

To now accept the car back would be a very large mistake.. Who would accept an engine that has now likely got damage caused by oil starvation ? How long has it been been going on ? I could well be the reason the previous Owner got rid ??

Its a ticking bomb !!!

As I said before the engine could now be filled with a thicker oil that may mask the problem until after that 28 days elapses... Then You are alone.

Promises now matter how sincere mean nothing. Even a decent warranty ( THERE ARE FEW ! ) Will baulk at a claim on an engine with incomplete history and 140K miles and rising

Get shot Matey plain and as simple as..............................................

Kingo says its not a right to reject a vehicle within 28 days.. Sorry I'm going to differ on that one, If a vehicle has a fault that makes it of unmerchantable quality then You DO have a right to reject ...

Charlie

In the early part of this thread we were talking of all sorts of possibilities, including engine that was goosed or a simple oil pressure switch problem

Merchantable quality no longer exists, now we talk about conforming to contract, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality

If it was just an oil pressure switch and it was replaced and all was well, then you would NOT be able to reject the car, as the dealer had put it right. There is no time period for rejecting goods, however the age, type of product / fault will come into it. For example, a set of cheap screwdrivers for a few quid might only be expected to have a short lifetime, and it would be unreasonable to reject them, but a car costing many thousands of pounds, might be expected to last many years, and any reasonable person would agree (which is the term used to determine goods under the sale of goods act) If you buy something and change your mind about it and want out of it, the trader does not have to do that at all, you have very few rights on changing your mind. This case appears to be where the goods were clearly not of satisfactory quality and inherantly faulty, and that WOULD allow you to reject the goods

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

I once had an A4 1.8T with low oil pressure at tickover, traced to a sludge problem and a blocked pick up. I traded it in for a new Toyota. I found out a few weeks later that the dealership had sold it on to another trader, and that the engine had let go on his motorway drive back when he was, "testing" the performance. That was close ! Don't let the same thing happen to you, get rid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links