Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yet Another T180 Mpg Post / Lindop Difference . . .

kanulondon

Just thought I'd share this with those interested. . . . . .

Reset the onboard computer and set off from Edinburgh to Aberdeen (about 120ish miles) in the T180 (new engine, few hundred miles old) and the Lindop Chip set to '5'.

By the time we got to Dundee (about 60 miles) the computer was indicating 44mpg :euro: I was over the moon as I wasn't driving particularly conservatively.

However entering Dundee the car went into 'limp' mode. I assume this was due to the chip, so I disconnected it and continued to Aberdeen.

On the way back from Aberdeen all warning lights automagically cleared (as the chip was disconnected) and I drove back down the way 120 miles and the MPG dropped from 44 to 31!!!

So that's a near 50% improvement with the chip kit on. Only issue is that the chip doesn't seem to want to play nice with the new engine. I am going to have it (the chip) looked at by the nice people @ Lindop and I sincerely hope they can do the business as the car is unbelievably more frugal with it attached!

Anyone ever had any warning lights?

KL

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but, If I understand it correctly, the chip modifies the rail pressure reported to the engine management ECU (EMS) and also modifies the injector timings. The EMS has no knowledge of this, but it's the EMS that calculates the computer readings, based on what fuel it thinks it is injecting. The actual fuel injected will be different because of those modifications.

I suggest you do manual calculations brim to brim with both the chip connected and disconnected, to see whether it really is 50%.

Fair dues shcm . . .

I did not do a brim to brim test but anecdotally I can tell you from the throttle response and the fuel guage readings that with the chip ON, it made a significance difference. . . ie I used far more fuel on the way down and I had to work the gears more. Whilst on the way up it barely left 6th gear.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but, If I understand it correctly, the chip modifies the rail pressure reported to the engine management ECU (EMS) and also modifies the injector timings. The EMS has no knowledge of this, but it's the EMS that calculates the computer readings, based on what fuel it thinks it is injecting. The actual fuel injected will be different because of those modifications.

I suggest you do manual calculations brim to brim with both the chip connected and disconnected, to see whether it really is 50%.

I do not have a T180, but my Chipped (lindop) 136 bhp does exactly the same and i have repeatedly warned people not to rely on the Obc mpg figures when you have a chip fitted, you must do it brim 2 brim, mine has never had any warning light or limp mode problems however...Stew

Ours did go into limp mode twice after having the chip kit fitted & was throwing a code that indicated low rail pressure or something like that. Kingo & his merry men couldn't find anything wrong & this was before we have our new engine.

We brim ours all the time with Shell V-Power & I know that we are getting approx 40 mpg even though the fuel computer is reading more.

We have had no issues with the chip kit & the new engine & we have ours set to 6 as per Kingo's recommendation.

Ours did go into limp mode twice after having the chip kit fitted & was throwing a code that indicated low rail pressure or something like that. Kingo & his merry men couldn't find anything wrong & this was before we have our new engine.

We brim ours all the time with shell V-Power & I know that we are getting approx 40 mpg even though the fuel computer is reading more.

We have had no issues with the chip kit & the new engine & we have ours set to 6 as per Kingo's recommendation.

Pretty much sums up My findings.. Never had ant lights or limp mode problems though.. I bet if You disconnect the Battery ( Both terminals and connect it all up again it will be fine.... Give it a try ?

Well I did get one error a few weeks ago, but thought this was due to setting @ 7

However when I changed the settings down, I didn't disconnect the Battery. The error codes cleared automagically

Will give it a try. . . . and I will BRIM 2 BRIM!

Well I did get one error a few weeks ago, but thought this was due to setting @ 7

However when I changed the settings down, I didn't disconnect the battery. The error codes cleared automagically

Will give it a try. . . . and I will BRIM 2 BRIM!

Any problems You know where I am.. I have a code reader here................

Cheers Charlie!

....and to reiterate an offer I made yonks ago, if there are any '180 drivers out there wanting to try a "with and without try before ye buy" test of the Lindop McKingo chipped engine, just shout....that way I continue to get commission of nice new imaginary golf balls to use in Scotland's lovely climate. The only hose pipe ban up here means stopping whipping each other with them.....!!!!!

Big Kev

Oh balls Kev ;)

Received the unit back for investigationment, any changes to the settings should be done with the unit unplugged, change setting, plug back in again. It may have become confused or corrupt

Will advise in due course

Kingo :thumbsup:

Oh balls Kev ;)

Received the unit back for investigationment, any changes to the settings should be done with the unit unplugged, change setting, plug back in again. It may have become confused or corrupt

Will advise in due course

Kingo :thumbsup:

Oh! My bad!! I will look forward to sorting this out then. I will clear the Battery memory as well

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links