Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Size For A Mrk3

vally10

Hi I am new to the toyota owners club but i have owned my MR2 year 2003 for 1 year now. It needs 2 new front tyres and i would like to know which size and make are the best to fit on to the standard front alloys of my car thanks.

Might be best heading over to MR2ROC dot com its a lot more active than here mate and has loads of info regarding your question

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Dangermooser but if you haven't been there already then I would stick with the sizes recommended in the manual, Its important with these cars to keep the staggered width from front to rear otherwise it can affect the handling.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

One other point, please stick to the same make of tyre all round as given the mid engine/ rear drive configeration it is also important to keep with the stagger as has been mentioned or you just might find yourself sideways on a bend. Also be careful of standing water at speed!

If you starting from scratch tyre wise, I suggest Toyo Proxies.

B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

One other point, please stick to the same make of tyre all round as given the mid engine/ rear drive configeration it is also important to keep with the stagger as has been mentioned or you just might find yourself sideways on a bend. Also be careful of standing water at speed!

B

I have read about the concern over 'stagger'.... but my experience is such: My car (2002) has 205 / 50's all round and it tracks like a train. From 0 up 20 180kph, it is sure-footed and no hint of unruly behaviour. Corners like a pro.. My previous car was a Lotus Seven (Birkin), and frankly this MR2 handles better than the Seven.. BTW my pressures are 1.8 bar in the front and 2 in the rear... all four tyres are identical (Federals) ... only one complaint - extremely high road noise from these tyres.

Hi,

B

I have read about the concern over 'stagger'.... but my experience is such: My car (2002) has 205 / 50's all round and it tracks like a train. From 0 up 20 180kph, it is sure-footed and no hint of unruly behaviour. Corners like a pro.. My previous car was a Lotus Seven (Birkin), and frankly this MR2 handles better than the Seven.. BTW my pressures are 1.8 bar in the front and 2 in the rear... all four tyres are identical (Federals) ... only one complaint - extremely high road noise from these tyres.

Interesting, While I don't profess to being an expect by any means, but having owned a 2001 Y Reg for 5 years and having been a member and a contributor to the MR2 ROC for that length of time, my comments were made on that basis both from my personal experience and from members from what is arguably the best and most enthusiastic members club in the UK (MG possibly aside)

You will know that the series 1 had 15in wheels all round, Toyota put broader tyres on the back for the stagger, they then equipped the series 2 with 15in wheels on the front and 16in on the back again with a broader tyre to maintain for the stagger.

FYI I replaced my 15ins with BK 17in alloys all round with 215s on front and from memory 225s at the back.

While I bow down to your personal experience, although to be fair, am a wee bit surprised at your 50 profiles, as I would have thought 45s more appropriate and better handling, if a wee bit harder.... I would prefer living with the Toyota specs and their handling criteria. The MR2 Roadster is a much underrated car, power to weight ration she's the best in her class and handles like a dream in the dry but IMHO you have to respect any rear wheel drive mid engined car in the wet!

Should you wish further confirmation I would suggest you become a member of the Mr2ROC club!

As an aside, I trust you've got rid of your Manifold Pre cats?

Regards,

Barry W

Hi,

B

Interesting, While I don't profess to being an expect by any means, but having owned a 2001 Y Reg for 5 years and having been a member and a contributor to the MR2 ROC for that length of time, my comments were made on that basis both from my personal experience and from members from what is arguably the best and most enthusiastic members club in the UK (MG possibly aside)

You will know that the series 1 had 15in wheels all round, Toyota put broader tyres on the back for the stagger, they then equipped the series 2 with 15in wheels on the front and 16in on the back again with a broader tyre to maintain for the stagger.

FYI I replaced my 15ins with BK 17in alloys all round with 215s on front and from memory 225s at the back.

While I bow down to your personal experience, although to be fair, am a wee bit surprised at your 50 profiles, as I would have thought 45s more appropriate and better handling, if a wee bit harder.... I would prefer living with the Toyota specs and their handling criteria. The MR2 Roadster is a much underrated car, power to weight ration she's the best in her class and handles like a dream in the dry but IMHO you have to respect any rear wheel drive mid engined car in the wet!

Should you wish further confirmation I would suggest you become a member of the Mr2ROC club!

As an aside, I trust you've got rid of your Manifold Pre cats?

Regards,

Barry W

Hi Barry,

I agree with you wrt the lower profile tyres, but the tyres on her at present were there when I bought her.. also, I guess they are just a wee bit more comfortable than the lower profiles. In fact the handbook states we should be running 55's on the rear and 50's on the front.

As to the 'Stagger' question - I dont refute what you say, not at all, I just thought I would state what I have experienced. Indeed, my Seven and my 911 before that, both had different sized fronts vs rears.

What does interest me a lot is your last question about the Manifold pre-cats! I have read on the forums about these being a bit troublesome with the possibility of ceramic material being sucked into the engine and causing strife - but to be honest, my mechanical knowledge can at best be descibed as suspect. I have had a new stainless steel performance exhaust fitted, and I asked the fitters about the cats before they did the work and their recommendation was to retain them... but maybe they dont know the history as well as others?

Regards

Dave

Hi, One other point, please stick to the same make of tyre all round as given the mid engine/ rear drive configeration it is also important to keep with the stagger as has been mentioned or you just might find yourself sideways on a bend. Also be careful of standing water at speed! If you starting from scratch tyre wise, I suggest Toyo Proxies. B
Interesting, While I don't profess to being an expect by any means, but having owned a 2001 Y Reg for 5 years and having been a member and a contributor to the MR2 ROC for that length of time, my comments were made on that basis both from my personal experience and from members from what is arguably the best and most enthusiastic members club in the UK (MG possibly aside) You will know that the series 1 had 15in wheels all round, Toyota put broader tyres on the back for the stagger, they then equipped the series 2 with 15in wheels on the front and 16in on the back again with a broader tyre to maintain for the stagger. FYI I replaced my 15ins with BK 17in alloys all round with 215s on front and from memory 225s at the back. While I bow down to your personal experience, although to be fair, am a wee bit surprised at your 50 profiles, as I would have thought 45s more appropriate and better handling, if a wee bit harder.... I would prefer living with the Toyota specs and their handling criteria. The MR2 Roadster is a much underrated car, power to weight ration she's the best in her class and handles like a dream in the dry but IMHO you have to respect any rear wheel drive mid engined car in the wet! Should you wish further confirmation I would suggest you become a member of the Mr2ROC club! As an aside, I trust you've got rid of your Manifold Pre cats? Regards, Barry W
Hi Barry, I agree with you wrt the lower profile tyres, but the tyres on her at present were there when I bought her.. also, I guess they are just a wee bit more comfortable than the lower profiles. In fact the handbook states we should be running 55's on the rear and 50's on the front. As to the 'Stagger' question - I dont refute what you say, not at all, I just thought I would state what I have experienced. Indeed, my Seven and my 911 before that, both had different sized fronts vs rears. What does interest me a lot is your last question about the Manifold pre-cats! I have read on the forums about these being a bit troublesome with the possibility of ceramic material being sucked into the engine and causing strife - but to be honest, my mechanical knowledge can at best be descibed as suspect. I have had a new stainless steel performance exhaust fitted, and I asked the fitters about the cats before they did the work and their recommendation was to retain them... but maybe they dont know the history as well as others? Regards Dave
Hi, One other point, please stick to the same make of tyre all round as given the mid engine/ rear drive configeration it is also important to keep with the stagger as has been mentioned or you just might find yourself sideways on a bend. Also be careful of standing water at speed! If you starting from scratch tyre wise, I suggest Toyo Proxies. B
Interesting, While I don't profess to being an expect by any means, but having owned a 2001 Y Reg for 5 years and having been a member and a contributor to the MR2 ROC for that length of time, my comments were made on that basis both from my personal experience and from members from what is arguably the best and most enthusiastic members club in the UK (MG possibly aside) You will know that the series 1 had 15in wheels all round, Toyota put broader tyres on the back for the stagger, they then equipped the series 2 with 15in wheels on the front and 16in on the back again with a broader tyre to maintain for the stagger. FYI I replaced my 15ins with BK 17in alloys all round with 215s on front and from memory 225s at the back. While I bow down to your personal experience, although to be fair, am a wee bit surprised at your 50 profiles, as I would have thought 45s more appropriate and better handling, if a wee bit harder.... I would prefer living with the Toyota specs and their handling criteria. The MR2 Roadster is a much underrated car, power to weight ration she's the best in her class and handles like a dream in the dry but IMHO you have to respect any rear wheel drive mid engined car in the wet! Should you wish further confirmation I would suggest you become a member of the Mr2ROC club! As an aside, I trust you've got rid of your Manifold Pre cats? Regards, Barry W
Hi Barry, I agree with you wrt the lower profile tyres, but the tyres on her at present were there when I bought her.. also, I guess they are just a wee bit more comfortable than the lower profiles. In fact the handbook states we should be running 55's on the rear and 50's on the front. As to the 'Stagger' question - I dont refute what you say, not at all, I just thought I would state what I have experienced. Indeed, my Seven and my 911 before that, both had different sized fronts vs rears. What does interest me a lot is your last question about the Manifold pre-cats! I have read on the forums about these being a bit troublesome with the possibility of ceramic material being sucked into the engine and causing strife - but to be honest, my mechanical knowledge can at best be descibed as suspect. I have had a new stainless steel performance exhaust fitted, and I asked the fitters about the cats before they did the work and their recommendation was to retain them... but maybe they dont know the history as well as others? Regards Dave

Dave,

As you can tell I'm a big Roadster fan, it was the wife's commute and my toy for 5 years.

I only sold it with much regret last Sunday.......the memory lingers still....lol

Anyway, the pre cats, apart from your cat in the exhaust (stainless steel in the Mk3) there are honeycomb type pre cats in your MANIFOLD ( please do not call it a header ala the yanks, or I'll put a contract out on you.) If you take your heat shield off they lurk in the two fat bits the down pipes go into, note the two lambda sensors go into them, incidentally, you have a further Lambda near your exhaust cat.

Like a lot of cars nowadays, the engine draws in a proportion of the exhaust gases in it's cycle to aid emissions regulations, it's the sort of things handled by an EGR valve nowadays.

The threat is that the ceramic pre cats in the Manifold eventually break up and are sucked

into the engine!! FYI information the pre cats are only in there for the Californian market where the emission rules are tighter than elsewhere.

My suggestion is that you pull the Lambdas out and look down the holes to check on the pre cats. Ideally get the MANIFOLD off if they are there and use whatever method ( !Removed! big screw driver and hammer to get rid, you don't need them and they are a threat!) She will pass the MOT without them. I bought a stainless steel MANIFOLD from the USA and replaced the original one. (incidentally use Toyota gasket, the ones from the USA are crap)

Please be aware, although the VVTI engine is good, the early ones suffered from overbore, resulting in Toyota offering an unpublished extended warranty....never told you that did they??

You might want to look at an additional front and back top brace, I also fitted a JAP Cusco mid brace, a Yank H frame and some additional rear mods to tighten the scuttle. I also had an JAP Apexi intake, no power gain but lovely roar!

Please check that you have the front spoiler dam which lurks under the front, it's plastic and runs the length of the front and is only about 3inches drop but believe it or not it keeps the front down at speed...if you're getting that front end lift at 90mph, you need the spoiler !

Enjoy the car,

Regards,

B

Dave,

As you can tell I'm a big Roadster fan, it was the wife's commute and my toy for 5 years.

I only sold it with much regret last Sunday.......the memory lingers still....lol

Anyway, the pre cats, apart from your cat in the exhaust (stainless steel in the Mk3) there are honeycomb type pre cats in your MANIFOLD ( please do not call it a header ala the yanks, or I'll put a contract out on you.) If you take your heat shield off they lurk in the two fat bits the down pipes go into, note the two lambda sensors go into them, incidentally, you have a further Lambda near your exhaust cat.

Like a lot of cars nowadays, the engine draws in a proportion of the exhaust gases in it's cycle to aid emissions regulations, it's the sort of things handled by an EGR valve nowadays.

The threat is that the ceramic pre cats in the Manifold eventually break up and are sucked

into the engine!! FYI information the pre cats are only in there for the Californian market where the emission rules are tighter than elsewhere.

My suggestion is that you pull the Lambdas out and look down the holes to check on the pre cats. Ideally get the MANIFOLD off if they are there and use whatever method ( !Removed! big screw driver and hammer to get rid, you don't need them and they are a threat!) She will pass the MOT without them. I bought a stainless steel MANIFOLD from the USA and replaced the original one. (incidentally use Toyota gasket, the ones from the USA are crap)

Please be aware, although the VVTI engine is good, the early ones suffered from overbore, resulting in Toyota offering an unpublished extended warranty....never told you that did they??

You might want to look at an additional front and back top brace, I also fitted a JAP Cusco mid brace, a Yank H frame and some additional rear mods to tighten the scuttle. I also had an JAP Apexi intake, no power gain but lovely roar!

Please check that you have the front spoiler dam which lurks under the front, it's plastic and runs the length of the front and is only about 3inches drop but believe it or not it keeps the front down at speed...if you're getting that front end lift at 90mph, you need the spoiler !

Enjoy the car,

Regards,

Just realised, there's a whole spiel on Precats on this site, I suggest a look there!

B

Dave,

Enjoy the car,

Regards,

Just realised, there's a whole spiel on Precats on this site, I suggest a look there!

B

Hi B,

Thanks for the very valuable information. I have joined the MR2ROC and found a wealth of info there too.

I do have one question for you; my car suffers from what I can best describe as 'tremble' (a very light vibration) when under medium to hard acceleration in 1st to 3rd gear. I have had all the wheel bearings checked, and all four wheels balanced and alignment done.

CV Joints?

Drive Shafts?

Thanks,

Regards

Dave

Dave,

To be frank in all my 5 years of involvement, I've never heard anyone mention an issue with drive shafts or CVs that I can recollect, likewise the clutch is never an issue.

As you suggest it could be power delivery, best drop a line on MR3ROC, the guys are brill and have forgotten more than I'll ever know!

If you lived in Essex , I could recommend a good and trusted Toyota Specialist ( not a major stealer) who would sort it out.

Obviously, I don't know who you're using just now but suggest you look for local independent Toyota specialist. (Half the major stealers havn't a clue about the MR2 Mk3!)

Being a miserable Scot, I used to get my oil changed by, wait for it...Kwik Fit....even these clowns couldn't screw up an oil change, anyway a fully synthetic oil change with filter was about £37.. I can't buy the oil for that. and when it came to normal servicing, I told the garage not to change the oil!

Hope this helps,

Regards,.

B