Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chaning Gearbox Oil ?

Scunny Steve

Hi,

I own an Avensis T3 diesel 2005...100k trouble free miles.

How do you change the gear box oil.?

It looks like it has to be done from underneath the car but that would be a problem filling it as, unless on a lift, the car would not be level.

Also, what is the capacity?.

Many thanks,

Steve

The box oil change is quite an easy job... If I remember you need a 22mm socket and the drain plug is tucked away right at the bottom back of the box, close to the bell housing! it take a bit of searching to get to it... I used a straight 75w grade ester oil called Silkolen Pro SRG. If the box on your car is the same as mine then you have to have this grade and not a multi-grade for the triple syncro box.

If you go onto Opie Oils and type in your reg it will tell you what options of lubs you have and the quantity!... I thing its 2.7ltr! But cant remember now as its been quite a while since I did mine. I did mine outside the house with a trolly jack. As long as its not that far off the level then it will be fine. Removing the front passenger wheel helps with the process...

Hi there,

I got a local garage to change mine (03 1.8 petrol) a while ago and I swear the gear change is notchier than it was before!

They used the recommended multi grade oil (75-90 is it? I can't remember). Are you saying that a straight 75 gives smoother changes then? How come they recommend the multi grade?

Thanks Mistermena.

Is the filler plug in the same area ?.

Steve

PS I note that Silkolene Pro SRG75w has been mentioned on other sites as the oil to use.

Hi there,

I got a local garage to change mine (03 1.8 petrol) a while ago and I swear the gear change is notchier than it was before!

They used the recommended multi grade oil (75-90 is it? I can't remember). Are you saying that a straight 75 gives smoother changes then? How come they recommend the multi grade?

I called the main dealer and they stated that a muti-grade oil was the one to use to! So I called another 2 dealers and guess what??? They all said the same which for my car is totaly wrong!... A straight 75w grade is what I needed for this trans!... A 90 grade oil is to thick and will not help with gear changing, apart from being wrong!

Hi there,

I called the main dealer and they stated that a muti-grade oil was the one to use to! So I called another 2 dealers and guess what??? They all said the same which for my car is totaly wrong!... A straight 75w grade is what I needed for this trans!... A 90 grade oil is to thick and will not help with gear changing, apart from being wrong!

Thanks Mistermena.

Is the filler plug in the same area ?.

Steve

PS I note that Silkolene Pro SRG75w has been mentioned on other sites as the oil to use.

The filler plug is on the front of my box and the drain is on the rear back bottom. As Ormi said its a 24mm and not a 22mm plug. Just make sure that you can undo the filler plug before you attempt to drain the oil! as I've just found out with my Polo that the drain plug was knackered and rounded off!... Had to try and weld a bolt to it and that didn't work, nor did a cold chisel to remove it!. So in the end I had to take off the reverse light switch and syringe the oil through a tiny opening! Took almost 3 hours to fill the box with 1.9Ltr of Motul gear 300.

I'd spray some WD40 on the thread before you start and leave it to work in for 10 mins or so! last thing you want is not to be able to refill the box!...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links