Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2002 No Electrical Power At All

snoged

hi

just looking for any tips with this problem.

got home from work yesterday parked and locked the car with the key remote.20 mins later went to get back in and the remote doesnt work red light flashes on the key but nothing from the vehcle,opened the drivers door with the key expecting the alarm to go off but nothing no interior lights no ignition lights no power anywhere,opened the bonnet so see if the Battery was still there and connected all was ok (i did not touch anything just looked).then i closed the bonnet and the indicated started flashing and the interior light came on,i started the engine which ran quiet uneven for a few minutes and after that it drives perfectly,i have been out today and all is fine.i was intending to have a look today to find the problem but not quite sure where to start.One thing i forgot to mention above is that since the intial loss off power the orange engine management light has stayed on.

any help with this would be greatly welcomed.

many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

. . . also check out the fuses (start with the main ones near the battery) - on a 10-yr-old vehicle it's possible that a fuse blade/fuseholder has become loose or corroded. Fuse blades should look bright: if dulled, clean up or replace. Decent contact cleaner (NOT WD40) will help.

Does sound like a very poor Battery lead connection, though. Remove and clean up, refix, and only apply vaseline after assembly. Don't vaseline first - it's not conductive!

Internal link/connection problems inside a Battery are not unknown, but rare.

Chris

many thanks for the advice,the earth strap to the Battery was a little loose,but apart from that all seems fine,fuses seem to look good.Engine still runs fine and drives just as it should but i cant seem to get the engine management light off,i have tried dissconecting the Battery and removing the fuse for an hour,but within a couplle of seconds its back on.

would it be best to get it checked or just leave and see how it goes ?

many thanks

phil

• 8 years later...

I have a 2012 rav 4, it’s happened twice now No power anywhere in vehicle, try boost-Nothing. I hook up code reader to car and car starts. Any ideas? Thanks 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links