Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Starting Or 'normal' Starting

stu_cole

Hope your car has had a recent service, diesel filter is my favourite cause of your problem.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stu_cole

• toyota diag tech 1

• cabcurtains

• dc2411

Maybe previous owner put petrol in your car?? Causing fuel pump problems or you may still have abit of petrol diluted into diesel in the tank. Highly unlikely put in a full tank of diesel see it makes a difference.

+ change all your filters if you havent already done so... Peace of mind it may help

HI

I have similar problemwith my 08 auris 2.0d4d, problem came to light under warantee 1 year ago. When weather is around 5 degrees c car would turn over but not fire up as with your car. Put new Battery in because toyota dealer said it was Battery not holding charge. New Battery made no change waste of €100 . I could not get car to replicate the problem when left at dealership of course ! They said it would be under warantee if it shows up after warantee runs out because i brought it to there attention which is not too bad. Car started the problems again this winter , hope you get an answer that I can tell my dealer to sort mine out. Got service done Nov 11 and they said firmware was updated but I am not sure it was the update for cold starting. looking forward to your next post.

Hi just seen your post .you may want to inform your dealer there is a modified suction control valve to compliment this software update they have installed in ur ecm .this issue only happens under 10 degrees on ad series engines .other causes include blocked gause in the tank and fuel filter but if this was the case it wouldnt only happen in cold weather it would be constant .happy motoring

Thanks Kev , I will do that this week and see do they know about this, thanks

Hi Kev - Thanks for that, it's a bit awkward as Mr H sold the car and they are contracting with Mr T to get the issue resolved, I mentioned to Mr H about the feedback from the forum's but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears - the suspect starting is not a major inconvenience but it is something that needs sorting before it starts getting warmer

My Auris is the same 2.0L diesel and starts first time every time. Dont give up and keep pestering Mr T till he fixes it.

I see you have added additives to the fuel. That shouldnt hurt, but try without anything but standard diesel fuel from a garage, not a supermarket.

Tried an italian tune up? a run for at least 15 -20 mins with the engine running at about 2500 -3000 rpms so it gets hot?

This weeks update: No Update! - Reported the fault again to Mr H last Sat (17th) and they e-mailed at 17:57 tonight advising they'll talk to Mr T on Monday

Hi Sandy:- The cars had a few long runs on the motorway at this rev range and luckily due to the company fuel card the Auris only drinks Vpower Diesel.

Latest Update:

Sent Mr H another three e-mails chasing the next action - I think Mr H and Mr T have entered a 'dialogue' this is the last e-mail sent by Mr H to Mr T

We need to resolve Mr Cole’s concerns with his vehicle as quickly as possible. I understand from your comments yesterday that you need to experience the fault. However Mr Cole has been very proactive in sending video clips and logs of a fault that is clearly there.

Can you please email me back details of the diagnosis process your technicians have gone through

I can fully understand what they have eliminated.

For example;

1. Battery condition Midtronic report

.2. Starter amps draw?

3. Have wiring checks to individual glows plugs been carried out?

4. Fuel pressure measure result if done?

5. Ignition timing through crank / cam position sensor

6. Compression check and result per cylinder.

This is not an exhaustive list.

Could you please email me the results of above if done and a copy of the technicians write-up for what was done and clocking report of how long the technician spent looking in the reported customer concern.

As you are a Toyota dealer we thought it best to book in with the experts to help resolve the concern on the vehicle. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Lets hope that they can finally sort it out for you. :chinese:

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Toyota dealer, he said never heard of this update because the 2.0D4D is not sold in Rep of Ireland, he asked me to ring Toyota in northern Ireland and see can they update the software and suction control valve. They were not too bothered about helping me out, but I said if I was to get this valve and software they would fit it for me . So I will be contacting NI toyota next week and see how I get on. Dont fancy a 6 hour round trip to get this fixed.

Where are u located in roi? I may be able to put you in contact with somone dat can help

Went to Toyota dealer, he said never heard of this update because the 2.0D4D is not sold in Rep of Ireland, he asked me to ring Toyota in northern Ireland and see can they update the software and suction control valve. They were not too bothered about helping me out, but I said if I was to get this valve and software they would fit it for me . So I will be contacting NI toyota next week and see how I get on. Dont fancy a 6 hour round trip to get this fixed.

What does it matter if the 20d4d isn't sold in Ireland what a load of bull they are talking they still can order the parts and fix it What sort of Toyota dealer are they

was in dublin this weekend Kev, thanks to a careless driver in carpark have a damaged front bumper and left light now , of couse they just drove off so I found the damage when I got out of shopping centre ! Probably need new bumper, Have to repair it now at my own cost. Anyway yes I travel to dublin every few months.

thanks kev i will try to make an appointment next time i am travelling

Post 36 - 43 above is not related to the original thread....... but this is

Update:

I've had six weeks of no purposeful activity. Mr H spoke to Mr T in Leicester - Mr T declined to carry out any further investigation. I was a bit annoyed with this as this dramatically reduces the options of getting the Auris serviced in the future with a Toyota main dealer.

It appears that Mr H has their own Mr T in Peterborough, so the car is going on it's jolly's next week and i'll have a 1.0 Jazz courtesy car to look forward to again

Any of those of you that are interested these are the starting logs for the last 3 months - these have been supplied to Mr H and Mr T along with videos of the starting issue.

I would just like them to carry out some proper tests and rule out the expensive things like the injectors. If they do test the injectors and they are faulty it's no problem as they're covered on the RAC Warranty that was supplied with the vehicle.

Lets see what Mr H sorts out with their own Mr T in Peterborough

FH08EXU_StartingCycles_Feb.pdf

FH08EXU_StartingCycles_Mar.pdf

FH08EXU_StartingCycles_April.pdf

Update: Car was collected on Monday by Mr H and taken to their own Mr T in Peterborough - Had a call today (Wednesday) advising that the EGR was blocked / faulty and is being replaced - they will carry out additional cold starting tests tomorrow.

I'll have a search on the Auris forum but would the EGR valve effect starting or is it's purpose just to improve the emissions when running?

I had the exact same starting problems with my Verso in September @ around 80,000 miles. The diagnosis was a blocked EGR valve. Two months down the line it needed a replacement engine. Have a look in the RAV4 section of the Forum at "Charlie's" excellent guide to the D4D engine problems-I wish I had read it before buying out the lease on my car. I hope your's is nothing as serious!

Hi egr stuck partially opendue to carbon deposits on a diesel will not affect starting directly however over along period of time it is possible that the excessive carbon caused by this can contaminate the injector nozzles causing fuel pressure drops .please mention to your dealer there is a tsb relating to this issue on ad engines which envolves reflash and suction control valve replacement .might be worth asking to speak to their diagnostic technician rather than the service advisor.the purpose of egr is to recirculate the exhaust gases and burn them again particuarly nox and pm the only time you can be sure egr isnt recirculating is under full throttle unless its stuck open due to carbon resulting in black smoke and loss of power .when the vehicle is idling i can open the egr 100% using an active test and it will have no noticable affect on the engine unless you accelerate however if you do the same on a petrol the engine will run rough then stall .please stress to your dealer a blocked egr is not the cause of your starting issue .it wllbe related to your fuel system /control (software) or coolant in cyls due to hg failure

Hi egr stuck partially opendue to carbon deposits on a diesel will not affect starting directly however over along period of time it is possible that the excessive carbon caused by this can contaminate the injector nozzles causing fuel pressure drops .please mention to your dealer there is a tsb relating to this issue on ad engines which envolves reflash and suction control valve replacement .might be worth asking to speak to their diagnostic technician rather than the service advisor.the purpose of egr is to recirculate the exhaust gases and burn them again particuarly nox and pm the only time you can be sure egr isnt recirculating is under full throttle unless its stuck open due to carbon resulting in black smoke and loss of power .when the vehicle is idling i can open the egr 100% using an active test and it will have no noticable affect on the engine unless you accelerate however if you do the same on a petrol the engine will run rough then stall .please stress to your dealer a blocked egr is not the cause of your starting issue .it wllbe related to your fuel system /control (software) or coolant in cyls due to hg failure

surely this dealer would know this information after all they are trained by the manufacture have direct access to there info and toyota testing equipment would they not

No need for sarcasim .unfortunatly not all dealers are v gud at keeping up to date with this info .ive noticed it seems to be more in the uk .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links