Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flat Battery - Again!

peterbalcombe

Twice recently I have been let down by a flat Battery. The first time I put down to a series of stop / starts with insufficient time to recharge. This second time journeys have been reasonable. Should I be having these problems on a car which has yet to reach 3 years and has 38,000 on the clock? Will arrange to take to Mr T for check up.

Peter

Peter

short journeys destroy Battery.

3 years look small, but sometimes each Battery has own fate and dies by 3-4 years.

cheers

Twice recently I have been let down by a flat battery. The first time I put down to a series of stop / starts with insufficient time to recharge. This second time journeys have been reasonable. Should I be having these problems on a car which has yet to reach 3 years and has 38,000 on the clock? Will arrange to take to Mr T for check up.

Peter

Hello Peter, your Battery and charging system is covered by the 3 year warranty so let them sort it. My cars Battery went flat a couple of times just before it was 3 years old and I thought the same as you it's down to short journeys or lack of use so I didn't bother going to the dealers, needless to say when the car was 3 yrs and 1 month old the Battery failed completely and it cost me £90.00 fitted.

Just out of interest I searched around for the best deal on batteries, to get one that fitted correctly in the bracket and was the right AH capacity Toyota was the best deal all round, you can buy cheaper but they ain't right.

Regards Pete.

A simple check across the Battery should,when the engine is running, show 14ish volts.

This will check if the alternator is working as it should.

Most Battery retailers will check the alternator output and the Battery for free.

If you do this at a couple then you should see where you stand without taking the dealer test results as gospel.

Del

Had an appointment for this Friday. Examination showed that car was charging OK but Battery was already flattening despite having done only 4 reasonable length i.e. not unduly short, journeys since total recharge Sunday. Diagnosis - probable failing cell(s). Accepted under Warranty. So now have brand new Toyota Battery. Thanks Mr T - one very satisfied customer.

Had an appointment for this Friday. Examination showed that car was charging OK but battery was already flattening despite having done only 4 reasonable length i.e. not unduly short, journeys since total recharge Sunday. Diagnosis - probable failing cell(s). Accepted under Warranty. So now have brand new Toyota battery. Thanks Mr T - one very satisfied customer.

Good result :thumbsup:

Had an appointment for this Friday. Examination showed that car was charging OK but battery was already flattening despite having done only 4 reasonable length i.e. not unduly short, journeys since total recharge Sunday. Diagnosis - probable failing cell(s). Accepted under Warranty. So now have brand new Toyota battery. Thanks Mr T - one very satisfied customer.

I'm glad you got sorted out Peter a great result, just keep the receipt (make sure you get one) as the new Battery should also have another 3 years warranty.

Regards .... Pete.

Normally when a Battery is replaced free of charge you would not get a receipt and only the remaining part of the original guarantee applies.

Normally when a battery is replaced free of charge you would not get a receipt and only the remaining part of the original guarantee applies.

I take your point and you maybe correct but batteries usually have a date stamp on them by the manufacturer who is giving the 1,2 or 3 year warranty, the least Peter should get is a further year as Toyota guarantee parts for I year normally. The receipt part on warranty is an issue that needs addressing as different Toyota dealers seem to have a different approach on this, some will give paperwork and some don't .... very strange.

Regards

Pete.

No separate receipt for the Battery unfortunately in contrast to a replaced wiper blade which was noted in the visual inspection carried out free at the same time. However the visual safety report does shpw the fitted price of the new Battery (£116.52 - pleased not to be paying!). Usefully the visual check included measurements of tyre depths. Quite impressed by the free and unrequested inspection is this usual?

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to determine that the Battery is at fault and not some short circuit? Mine has died at the same time that the fuel gauge still indicates a 100% full tank which is suspicious , no?

Is it possible to determine that the Battery is at fault and not some short circuit? Mine has died at the same time that the fuel gauge still indicates a 100% full tank which is suspicious , no?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links