Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Your Views On Diesel Rav

bluebones

as a few of you may know ive been having loads of problems with the missus 02 petrol rav, so ive bit the bullet and sold it, the thing is the missus loves the rav4, so been looking into buying this for her, did have a quick look at the weekend and its absolutely mint!!!

just wanting your views, but totally understand its not everyones colour, also what do i need to look out for?

thanks in-advance

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1429wt_1185

as a few of you may know ive been having loads of problems with the missus 02 petrol rav, so ive bit the bullet and sold it, the thing is the missus loves the rav4, so been looking into buying this for her, did have a quick look at the weekend and its absolutely mint!!!

just wanting your views, but totally understand its not everyones colour, also what do i need to look out for?

thanks in-advance

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1429wt_1185

Really does look mint George, and seems pretty well maintained, and the diesels are really bloody marvellous cars....but at that mileage, the first question I would be asking is has the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) ever been done.....? Just about one third the price on that car on top for a DMF if it's gubbered.....

You have been dead unlucky on the petrol Rav front.....they are normally "pals for life..."

Big Kev

Looks a very nice car indeed and IMHO is likely a better investment than a later car with the 2.2 engine.. As Kev rightly points out the DMF is the thing to look out for but even if it does at some point give problems it can be replaced with a conventional clutch with a solid flywheel at around half the cost of a DMF unit..

thanks big kev, ill see if there are any paperwork for it, but is there any signs that i could check for that it may need doing? or does it tend to happen around a certain mileage? but he said it will come with a 6months warranty,

I was really hacked off about the old motor but went to a good home where no one in england would ever be able to come across it and all its faults, (been exported) well at least this was what i was told. :thumbsup:

Agree with Big Kev, DMF is a nightmare at up to £2k to fix. Get details of the services carried out and if it was replaced then happy days. They are great.

Two things .,...

ONE - What is your annual mileage? is it enough that you save enoiugh in fuel bu switching to diesel to cover some of the cost of a DMF? (personally, I would worry about the DMF on a RAV4.2 more then the Engine on a RAV4.3, but that is just my personal opinion)

TWO - Advert Says "FULL SERVICE HISTORY. CAMBELT JUST DONE". It also says that the Mileage is 91,000

now .... the Cambelt is meant to be swapped at 60,000 (so why was it done at 91,000? 30k too late? 30k too early??) or at 5 year interval (3 years too late? 2 years too early?) . Now it might be the mileage pattern was such that it was replaced on a age basis once and a mileage basis another, but worth digging into a little bit more, as if it has had just one cambelt swap in its life, then saying "FSH" is dubious.

The car looks smart in the pic - worth checking the wheels for corrosion - they were very prone to that and can spoil the looks when the body is looking so nice.

Good Luck :)

thanks big kev, ill see if there are any paperwork for it, but is there any signs that i could check for that it may need doing? or does it tend to happen around a certain mileage? but he said it will come with a 6months warranty,

I was really hacked off about the old motor but went to a good home where no one in england would ever be able to come across it and all its faults, (been exported) well at least this was what i was told. :thumbsup:

Clutches are not covered by warrantys as they are wear and tear items !!!

thanks everyone for all your input, about the cambelt, he said there was no paperwork saying it had been done so he had to get it done, and had the water pump done at the same time, all the alloys where mint, and only a couple of stone chips on the front, ive been looking at other ravs and all seam to be at least 1k more, of same shape and mileage.

The only reason we are looking at this is because its on our door step, and the missus is nearly 8months pregnant, and i went and sold her car on sunday so she is with out a motor, and thought it would be peace of mind buying through a proper dealer,

she only do about 8k miles per year, but from what it sounds like, i had a duff petrol model as it was only doing 20mpg, but the rest of the fault codes only appeared when i had enough, so this is probably why it was so juicy, and she is nagging that she does not want another petrol, so diesel it is, anyway, how would i tell if the flywheel was on its way out? would there be a vibration or stiff gear selection?

tomorrow ill be taking it for a spin, so would be good to know what to look for.

top advice so far people :thumbsup:

I'd get another Petrol, that car could be frying pan into the fire, having issues with 2 Petrol RAV's would be very unlucky. The diesel has the DMF/Turbo/Injectors etc etc to worry about, at this age i wouldnt go Diesel. Just my 2 pence worth.smile.png

I believe they chatter or rattle.. Though they have been known to break up with no notice given...

Two things .,...

ONE - What is your annual mileage? is it enough that you save enoiugh in fuel bu switching to diesel to cover some of the cost of a DMF? (personally, I would worry about the DMF on a RAV4.2 more then the Engine on a RAV4.3, but that is just my personal opinion)

TWO - Advert Says "FULL SERVICE HISTORY. CAMBELT JUST DONE". It also says that the Mileage is 91,000

now .... the Cambelt is meant to be swapped at 60,000 (so why was it done at 91,000? 30k too late? 30k too early??) or at 5 year interval (3 years too late? 2 years too early?) . Now it might be the mileage pattern was such that it was replaced on a age basis once and a mileage basis another, but worth digging into a little bit more, as if it has had just one cambelt swap in its life, then saying "FSH" is dubious.

The car looks smart in the pic - worth checking the wheels for corrosion - they were very prone to that and can spoil the looks when the body is looking so nice.

Good Luck :)

Logical thinking there, Spock......must concur with CabCurts though....one bad petrol doesn't merit taking on a diesel with that mileage....

Big Kev

U keep saying that mileage as thou it's done a few hundred thousand 91 k is not a big mileage for a diesel engine as they are usually run in till 30 k. As for buying it take it for a drive if there is no weird noises and u like it then buy it if u listen to half the people on here u'll never buy a car

does everyone think that the mileage is high? as i thought diesels do go on and on, if looked after, the thing is ive got a hormonal pregnant woman moaning that she now wants a diesel, so its my head on the , :giljotiini:

i know people are saying to get another petrol but im so unsure as i lost a few quid on the last one, so need to get it right this time.

When a "Diesel" was a Peugeot 405 1.9D Non Turbo, No Power, Noisey and Rough...They ran forever now they have loads of complex expensive bits to smooth out the drive and improve emissions. Its normally the ancillary stuff that fails, not the block itself (Cough 2.2).

As cars age, Petrol has less to go wrong, IMO. I do understand your experience will steer your choice though.

I definitely agree there is a lot less to go wrong with a petrol. I couldn't honestly say buy a rav diesel as I've only owned a t180 and it ended in me giving it back so would never recommend a rav diesel but alot of people here own them and would buy another.

been looking on eBay, there are lots of people selling the DMF conversion to solid flywheel kit, including the clutch, prices seem to be from £170 to £300 ish, so rest would be labour if this problem was to ever occur, which i see as quite a fair price as got a mate with his own garage so labour would be cheap.

thanks everyone for your advice, will take for a spin tomorrow and see what happens, :thumbsup:

That's a funny old FSH - it's only had six services when it should have had 9 at that mileage..................

Fabulous 2 Owner RAV4 with Full Service History, serviced at 10k, 23k, 40k, 57k, 76k, 83k.

Also, has it had one or two owners? It states one in the 'Item specifics' but two in the general description.

been looking on ebay, there are lots of people selling the DMF conversion to solid flywheel kit, including the clutch, prices seem to be from £170 to £300 ish, so rest would be labour if this problem was to ever occur, which i see as quite a fair price as got a mate with his own garage so labour would be cheap.

thanks everyone for your advice, will take for a spin tomorrow and see what happens, :thumbsup:

You said it was a grand cheaper than others you've seen, so if it runs well buy it! If you end up spending a grand on it you're still ahead.

PS diesels all the way for me! Love 'em!

PPS nice to see someone down sowf for a change!!

Dave (Sowfampton)

U keep saying that mileage as thou it's done a few hundred thousand 91 k is not a big mileage for a diesel engine as they are usually run in till 30 k. As for buying it take it for a drive if there is no weird noises and u like it then buy it if u listen to half the people on here u'll never buy a car

Missed the point you have totally, Dale mate.....the incidence of DMF failure in this particular model / year is one heck of a lot less than mileage advertised on this car of relatively "dubious" service history. This is why I and others are questioning its DMF....AFTER THE WELL DOCUMENTED PROBLEMS OF THE PETROL RAV, and something reliable for the BRAND NEW wean to travel in, we all wish George the Best (good, eh....?) with his next Rav.

Big Kev

Missed the point you have totally, Dale mate.....the incidence of DMF failure in this particular model / year is one heck of a lot less than mileage advertised on this car of relatively "dubious" service history. This is why I and others are questioning its DMF....AFTER THE WELL DOCUMENTED PROBLEMS OF THE PETROL RAV, and something reliable for the BRAND NEW wean to travel in, we all wish George the Best (good, eh....?) with his next Rav.

Big Kev

I completely under stand about the DMF and how it's a common fault on the diesel 4.2 but if it's not rattling now and your that worried about this failing buy a different car

I feel sorry for the poor sod selling the car judging by most on here they think it's a ringer or badly look after lol

I have a 2.2 56 plate diesel manual that hasnt been serviced by a dealer and has 99k on it going strong.

Personally I'd go round it tyre kicking. Make sure when he starts it the engine/water temp is cold and listen to how much effort the starter has to do. If it's got a warm engine when you get there they could be hiding starting issues, Drive it hard and then gently but warn the bloke your gonna do that if hes with you listen for odd noises like squeaks rattles and knocks. Leave it in neutral idling clutch up if manual and listen for anything untoward like thrust bearing or clutch clatter. Then go test the brakes down to a stop and listen to the brakes with the window open (your listening for grinding or squealing), make sure it doesnt pull left or right or steering wobbles during breaking or driving normaly, try pulling away in 2nd if it's a manual to test the clutch, test every button. Check for extras like dog guard, removable tow bar or luggage cover anything they could throw in to make the deal better. Even if you dont want them you can sell them on like roof rails.

Be honest with the bloke and see why he hasnt serviced it as regular as the book says. If it's had any major repairs done find out if theres any warranty on those repairs and if its transferable (some places dont cover work once car sold on). Have a good look on the log book and check chassis and engine number, how many keepers and any service invoices/sheets he has.

Take a notebook and make notes as you go also take a mate with you to chat to the owner while you focus on your check list.

Thats typically what I've been taught when buying cars even at a dealers. Probably missed some but if you feel confident you usually are happy.

I feel sorry for the poor sod selling the car judging by most on here they think it's a ringer or badly look after lol

I don't :)

He is contradicting himself in his advert so is making a rod for his own back and opening doubts that he could have avoided.

Out of interest, I looked around at his stocklist on line and every car had either "FSH" or "Fantastic FSH" no matter what the history was - Actually, it was very good to see the intervals so clearly listed in all his ads, so I would not think he is pulling a fast one (well, no more then the typical dealer :) ) but maybe the less clued-up (non Forum-frequenting) would not notice the miles on each stamp but just look for a bunch of them and that is his typical punter?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links