Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2.0D4D ***oil Change Note***

AURISTR01

A note when changing the oil you may realise the drain plug at the end of the oil filter housing is 10mm I believe it can be tight when trying to remove the bolt head it may round of. I have had the small O ring in there for about 20,000 miles which is not a problem unless a leak develops.

When you buy a new oil filter you get 2 O rings - 1 for the Oil Filter housing top part & 1 for the drain bolt at the bottom of the housing (if it can be removed)

The only way to cure this is to buy a replacement drain bolt from the dealers cost approx £3-4 - the redesigned part is no longer a 10mm it appears to be a square shape which a ratchet can fit to remove the drain bolt.

PLUG OIL FILTER PART NUMBER

15643-31050

I had to unfortunatley purchase a new housing and the drain bolt as my drain plug would not come apart from the housing, you may agree if a leak develops and if it is not detected earlier on you may have to buy a new engine because of an oil leak. Which im sure £50 is cheaper than a new engine.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Apologies if I have scared any of you but it may only been seen as a washer but I was advised by mechanic it can often

be overlooked and can cause expensive problems if an oil leak develops.

• 2 years later...

How did you get the housing off? Am really struggling

I've just done my filter and it was so tight I had to get the filter cup On the housing with a 1/2" breaker bar. Just be careful with it so it doesn't twist the whole housing assembly

That's what I am scared of :/ it is so tight I have round off the drain plug so far, so will just leave it and try to remove the housing. With oil and all.

I did use some freeze and release spray around where the threads would be and that seemed to help. So might be worth getting yourself a can

I've just done my filter and it was so tight I had to get the filter cup On the housing with a 1/2" breaker bar. Just be careful with it so it doesn't twist the whole housing assembly

That's what I am scared of :/ it is so tight I have round off the drain plug so far, so will just leave it and try to remove the housing. With oil and all.

I know where you're coming from. When I first did my own oil change mine was on that tight I too had to use a 1/2" drive 18" long breaker bar.... I had to re-run the engine to get the oil and filter housing piping hot to allow it to expand and assist in cracking the seal created by someone OVERTIGHTENING the oil filter cap....

People please be aware that it doesn't need to be that tight. The O-Rings do the work.... The filter housing is only 40+-8nm and the small cap is only 12nm....not a lot at all.... If you torque upto these figures then you will not have any issues when it comes to your next oil change.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Toyota OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so after trying without success to get the oil filter housing off, i have to take it to toyota to do, which is gonna cost me about £120. So far i have tried 5 different tools from Halfords, all of which have since been taken back, and the chain wrench i tried using snapped. If anyone has any other ideas on how to get this damn thing off, im all ears. I have changed the oil, but still has the old filter in which im non too happy about. can anyone tell me: can i put a screwdriver through the housing to remove it, (obviously will replace it) or are there pipes in the housing that could be damaged. sorry to sound like i dont know anything, but all the other cars i have done oil changes on had metal housing filters, not just a paper element that needed to be changed.

It's a twat but gm put a plastic cap on it's 2.2 ecotec and that is a twat to get off when it's stuck as it rounds so easy .... Have you used eaze it on it

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

Yeah I have. And to no avail. The drain plug is now a circle. And the flanges that are on the housing have started denting :(

When you say the drain plug do u mean the sump plug and the problem with sticking a screw driver thru it is that it's soft metal and will tear easy you can either heat up the part where it goes in or freeze spray the housing

This is the current state of the housing drain plug. And housing. To be honest, might as well be a circle haha.

post-130876-0-50215800-1398006552_thumb.

post-130876-0-57096900-1398006596_thumb.

This is what the inside looks like if you are still toying with the screwdriver idea.

Since your trim is removed can you not get a large pair of welder's locking pliers on there....

post-64213-139800724778_thumb.jpg

Welders pliers would probably slip on that ... Two thing you can do with that either way you eventually need a replacement ... Either cut parallel sides on the nut part to a specific spanner size or weld a piece of metal onto it to use as a new nut for a spanner the larger the better as then it's less likely to round off hence a lot of company's these days do that to stop this problem ....

Also, since it's on its way to being trashed and replaced, I also freed mine up by using an aluminum or nylon drift and hit the two lugs on the side.... Might shock it a little to releasing it's grip.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Toyota OC mobile app

Have you tried buying the proper filter cup for it and using that? . You will still need to put a lot of force on it but should come undone. Also spray the threaded area with loctite freeze and release spray to help it a little

Well that nut is the drain plug so cheap to replace u cam get a proper socket/cup to remove the filter housing (which I have ) but I would not worry about the drain plug too much

Maybe a bit late on this but maybe one of these is worth a try? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ZS2ZTC/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

The slots are intended to fit over the "lugs" and in theory exert enough torque to release and prevent the flutes slipping over the housing flats.

I think there is a hexagon to accept a 24mm socket as well as the square hole.

You have to use that to take the filter off anyway. Unless u get a k and n one ... But you can get entire filter removal sets for like £25 that plug is just a drain point

But Aidsy1 is trying to remove the aluminium filter cover for which the tool I linked to might be better because the slots locate on the cover lugs too. That should apply more torque and prevent the tool slipping on the 14 flats.

Sorry but what relevance has a K & N filter?

I assume it's a 2.0 litre so the tool I linked to might be the wrong diameter. There are bigger versions if the cover is larger than the 64mm across flats.

I am saying the small nut he has damaged is a drain point for the oil filter the tool you have shown is the right tool I agreed with you also saying if you can't get one of these for some reason you can buy oil filter removal sets which have these cup type removal tools ... As reference to the k and n one as he is now probably going to need to replace something he could get one of these and it has the flat sides like an oem filter and also a very sturdy large nut on it so two ways to get it off ... So if he didn't want to pay out for the cup type removal tool he could opt for one of these

I still havent been able to get the damn thing off, I have left it for the time being as I 1, cant afford anything and 2, i am currently in my exam period at uni. I didnt use the proper tool i bought (and then returned) every oil removal tool that Halfords had (the chain wrench snapped). Maybe I should get the proper tool and see if it is any easier, but regardless of that, I am going to need a new drain plug, so need to find a way to remove the old one, if I can get the housing off. I have decided I much prefer the other style of oil filter (not the paper type).

Well aidsy if you want to I can change yours for you as I have the tools to do so if you have all the kit to and I wouldn't worry about the drain plug Tbh it hardy works that well

I'll have to wait and see, to be honest after talking with several people around where i live, i think im gonna leave the filter, but just change the oil sooner, and then replace the filter then

I am saying the small nut he has damaged is a drain point for the oil filter the tool you have shown is the right tool I agreed with you also saying if you can't get one of these for some reason you can buy oil filter removal sets which have these cup type removal tools ... As reference to the k and n one as he is now probably going to need to replace something he could get one of these and it has the flat sides like an oem filter and also a very sturdy large nut on it so two ways to get it off ... So if he didn't want to pay out for the cup type removal tool he could opt for one of these

Sorry to harp on about this K & N filter Ben but which one fits? They make screw on canister filters with a hexagon on the end but they don't make the paper inserts which is the subject type here. Aidsy is trying to remove the aluminium cover to gain access to the paper element.

Unless the cover is easily removed those pressed steel cups are totally unsuitable. All they normally achieve is is rounding off the flats or splitting!