Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suction Control Valve (Scv) And Now Turbo

So, a couple months ago, my Engine Management Light came on, and she dropped down to 30mhp. Called the AA out, and the guy could only find the Previa 2.4 petrol, not the 2.0 Diesel on his Diagnostic machine. Took to a good mate of mines in KwikFit. Their machine provided the code P1228 - SCV. Restart the engine, the EML would go off, and run fine for a while, until the next cold start morning. Performance and Economy suffered. The SCV found on eBay was £250. Is that a fair price? - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43a449885f

So, while I am having to start and then restart the engine to turn the EML, I make a run to Gatwick from Hornchurch, Essex. 50 miles each way. On the return trip, stopped to pay the toll, and then pulled off. NO TURBO!!! I had absolutly no boost from the unit. i could hear it spool, but no boost was getting to the engine. Diagnostics still only returning the P1228 SCV error. Have taken it to a Diagnostic mechanic, he seems to be clued up, althought this is first Toyota Previa. Diagnostic machines proved that the engine is runnign perfectly, every beat is as where it needs to be. We agreed that I needed to leave the bus over night for the engine/turbo to cool down and then he will work on it from Monday. There is alot of trust coming from me to him, but, what other choice do I have? So, been searching. Found turbos from EssexTurbos ranging from £415 - £599 PLUS VAT.. Toyota said £750 reman (+£500 if i didn't return used turbo) or £1450 brand new. I again found this on eBay from Turbo Development Ltd - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3371db4875. They are giving the standard 1 yr manufacturer, as all others are. Anyone used this company before. I am thinking these are the cheapest and best options.

I have read the forums on here. Very informative. I have been told that my SCV issue is completely seperate from my Turbo problems. This is definitly going to hurt the pockets. Quick history - 97500 miles, full service history, CDX.

Looking fwd to your comments. Hope the parts are good and can help a few of you.

If you need SCVs PM me and I will price them on Monday, 250 is too much!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Update. Have taken her to Lee - Essex Car Diagnostics. The guy seems very clued up. Immediately starts on diagnostics, and establishs my loss of power is unconnected to the hard starts. Long story short, changed the SCV (red was gone, but both changed as already bought the pair) and she starts on first tumble. Error code gone even after couple days of running. Worry that some on here say that the EML still comes on occassionally, but we'll have to wait and see. Garrett turbo is now out. Shaft has alot of play, waste gate seized - which he explained has saved the engine (could have siphoned the oil from the sump). Await replacement and refitting. Cost broken down for you, make sure you're not being ripped off.

SCV - £173: massive thanks to Parts-King. Very helpful, part out by next day, No issues.

Reman Garrett Turbo - £580: - Turbo Solutions. Inc delivery and collection of old turbo, and gasket kit. 1 yr warranty, paid today Friday, delivery Monday. Will update if any issues with them.

Labour - £350: Fair price? If you break it down to a day and a half actual working on the bus? Will wait to see what you think.

Again, Parts-King and T.O.C. Thanks.

Disappointing news. SO the SCVs have already been fitted as above. The Reman Turbo is fitted but there is still no boost!? No error/ fault codes on from the diagnositics. Tests are being done, but no luck. Anyone out there has any ideas? Dis-heartened.

Disappointing news. SO the SCVs have already been fitted as above. The Reman Turbo is fitted but there is still no boost!? No error/ fault codes on from the diagnositics. Tests are being done, but no luck. Anyone out there has any ideas? Dis-heartened.

So, a couple months ago, my Engine Management Light came on, and she dropped down to 30mhp. Called the AA out, and the guy could only find the Previa 2.4 petrol, not the 2.0 Diesel on his Diagnostic machine. Took to a good mate of mines in KwikFit. Their machine provided the code P1228 - SCV. Restart the engine, the EML would go off, and run fine for a while, until the next cold start morning. Performance and Economy suffered. The SCV found on Ebay was £250. Is that a fair price? - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43a449885f

So, while I am having to start and then restart the engine to turn the EML, I make a run to Gatwick from Hornchurch, Essex. 50 miles each way. On the return trip, stopped to pay the toll, and then pulled off. NO TURBO!!! I had absolutly no boost from the unit. i could hear it spool, but no boost was getting to the engine. Diagnostics still only returning the P1228 SCV error. Have taken it to a Diagnostic mechanic, he seems to be clued up, althought this is first Toyota Previa. Diagnostic machines proved that the engine is runnign perfectly, every beat is as where it needs to be. We agreed that I needed to leave the bus over night for the engine/turbo to cool down and then he will work on it from Monday. There is alot of trust coming from me to him, but, what other choice do I have? So, been searching. Found turbos from EssexTurbos ranging from £415 - £599 PLUS VAT.. Toyota said £750 reman (+£500 if i didn't return used turbo) or £1450 brand new. I again found this on Ebay from Turbo Development Ltd - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3371db4875. They are giving the standard 1 yr manufacturer, as all others are. Anyone used this company before. I am thinking these are the cheapest and best options.

I have read the forums on here. Very informative. I have been told that my SCV issue is completely seperate from my Turbo problems. This is definitly going to hurt the pockets. Quick history - 97500 miles, full service history, CDX.

Looking fwd to your comments. Hope the parts are good and can help a few of you.

= = = = = = = = =

hi matey

as far as i ve caught you checked both SCV before installing or just installed ?

a serious diagnostics is highly required, OK let's start step by step:

- clean contacts of ana ignition key;

- open EGR and clean it to achieve smooth movement of valve stem;

- open repaair manual (ask mechanic of yrs) and extract readings for SCV resistance ---- now compare with your new ones -- if the resistance is equal?

- clean contact on rail pressure sensor, if any available;

- disconnect rubber suction hose to turbo + inspect the shaft rotation + radial and axis gaps of the shaft -- check with turbo vanes -- are they variable or fixed ? if variable -- try to rotate them by hand -- how it goes ?? smoothly or not ? blow thru an impulse plastic tube to be sure it passes an air. now you can evaluate condition of turbo as whole;

- check with MAF sensor on the throttle -- if required -- have it de-carbonised.

- install all parts on their homes and start the engine again - what are your observations? Any vibration ????

Check and come back

Igor

UPDATE: Igormus, thanks for the info above. did some testing, but turns out the waste gate is stuck closed, and the shaft has an approximate play/ give of .5 mil. My understanding of turbos is that it should be super clean and NO play on the shaft.

Disappointing news - the turbo bought from Turbo Solutions. Inc has failed. my mechanic, and another from nearby has confirmed that the wastegate on the new turbo has stuck in the open position. Turbo Solutions have said they will collect the old part and test to see if the error has been caused by us, or them. On the quiet, I opened the unit, which was wet (water) on the inside, and rust! Not what I expected from a company so well recommended. Let see if they notice I opened it (void warranty) and what they come back with. I am hoping that a professional company would exchange a part, no issues. Fingers crossed!

Will keep you all posted.

Quick update: Turbo Solutions have returned a verdict that the Turbo is working fine, that some carbon must have blown out of the engine, causing it to stick. BULL SH*T! very disappointed. Won't recommend any company that can't put thier hands up to one slipping thru. Essex Turbos was my next choice. Well, should have been fitted this weekend, will know verdict on Monday. That's it for me. Hope this has helped a few of you TOC members. Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to respond / P.M.

Marc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links