Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Oil Leak From Rear Transfer Case Help Please! (2003 Petrol, M

shorem84471

Hi all,

Help please !

I have a 2003 RAV4 (Petrol with Manual transmission) and I have an oil leak dripping form the prop shaft hub that is at the back of the transmission case behind the engine. its dripping onto the square-block type metal bracket that is bolted below the round hub of the shaft (i assume this hub contains a bearing?). Also, is the lower bracket is just a physical protection bracket as I cant see what function it would perform?

Anyway, please is anybody able to shed some light on what may need to be done to solve this leak. Im a competant DIY mechanic and do most jobs on the RAV4 my self.

Any ideas on whats causing the leak and what I need to do to rectify would be really appreciated,

( could this oil dripping be coming from the actual manual transmission case oil? and is there a seal or bearing that has gone to allow it to leak at this point?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

post-76791-0-07665700-1330799446_thumb.j

post-76791-0-12211900-1330799467_thumb.j

Welcome to the club.

If the oil is coming from the tube where the prop goes in it is just a seal. It is easy to replace after removing the prop shaft.

That rubber block is just a mounting with vibration damper.

What a coincidence, my RAV is in having this job done on Monday. The description you have given is exactly as I found mine early last week.

My local garage is carrying out the work. Should be a pretty straightforward job by the look of it.

Also having new front callipers fitted and all the fluids changed.

Bottomless money pits, make no mistake!

Thanks Guys,

Silly question, but when the prop shaft is removed so that I am ready to change the damaged seal (at the transmissin caseing end) can this be done without draining down the transmissin fluid or will it be an open access to the transmissin reservoir meaning I need to drain the transmission fluid down completely first?

Please advise if you know...

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Mat

I had the same issue on my 03.

See my post dated 31 Aug 2011. Anchorman very usefully replied as to how to fix it.

I never got round to fixing it myself but ended up taking it to the dealer. Sorted no problem.

The oil in question is the transfer box oil not the gearbox oil. This will need to be refilled. Mines an auto so different again.

The transfer box is separate to the gearbox and contains under a litre of oil. It needs to be replaced every two years so I would drain it down to reduce the potential for a mess.

Components.pdf

• Like 1

Take a look on Opie Oils to make sure you get the correct box oil! Or contact Kingo on here for a price...

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Can anyone tell me where I can find a exploded diagram of the gearbox to drive shaft assembly so I can see if there is more than one seal required ie .( Inner and outer seal ) also if there is a bearing inside the housing is there a special tool required for removal of bearing so as not to damage housing itself

Many thanks

Hi

About the third post up this list has a components listing, is this what you want ?

Ian

Hi Ian thanks for the pointer I'm just after completing the job of replacing the seal got a little info from some mechanic friends also thankfully it was pretty straight forward and all went according to plan ordered the seal from Toyota in morning and they had it in by just after lunchtime

• 1 year later...

Hi, while I was changing my transmission oil today I also noticed the oil leak at the rear of the transfer box housing and front end of propshaft. The leaking oil appeared green but the oil drained from the transfer box was not. I couldn't see any other leaks- could it have come from anywhere else?

Does any one now the part number of the oil seal for the rear of the transfer box?

Thanks, John.

• 1 year later...

Mine is exactly the same year 2003 gasoline VVTi 2 liter 150hp European model.

And I have the same issue. I am going to replace it the next few days.

Do you remember by any chance what was your part number replacement?

Was it 90311-62005?

toyodif003.PNG

On 3/4/2012 at 11:18 AM, IanXT4 said:

The transfer box is separate to the gearbox and contains under a litre of oil. It needs to be replaced every two years so I would drain it down to reduce the potential for a mess.

Components.pdf

IanXT4,

WOW  !!! This picture really helps out.

Thank you for the schematics.

I want to ask you about the fill and drain plugs. I have circled them in red. What is the circled in blue plug then?  Is this the plug for the gearbox and red for the transfer case?

So in other words I should fill about one liter of oil from the filler plug circled in red?

p.s The English language is not my native language so please do not pay attention on any grammar mistakes I have made.

toyodif004.PNG

Hi John, just dug out the invoice from Toyota. Part number- T90311-38090. It cured the leak.

The diagram is of the transfer box and you will need almost 1lt. The plugs are 24mm.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, john21245 said:

Hi John, just dug out the invoice from Toyota. Part number- T90311-38090. It cured the leak.

The diagram is of the transfer box and you will need almost 1lt. The plugs are 24mm.

john21245

I just wanted to say thank you. Apparently this is the part I 've needed. The TOYOTA Dealership in Bulgaria had made a mistake sending me the wrong part.

Before you prise out the old seal measure how far in it is seated so when you drive the new seal in you can seat it sufficiently.

7 hours ago, john21245 said:

Before you prise out the old seal measure how far in it is seated so when you drive the new seal in you can seat it sufficiently.

Except sometimes you want to leave the seal a little proud of where it was eg if there's a groove worn in the mating flange of the drive pinion. That way the seal is mating with an unworn section.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in, but I've just bought an XT4 as a runaround. Love it so far, and it's really tidy, but I have noticed the exact same leak underneath mine. It's not dripping or anything, but it does look identical to the OP's photos.

I'm trying to locate the seal so I can do it myself, but struggling. Have searched the part number but no joy so far. Does anyone have a link? I'm in the UK.

Thanks a lot ;)