Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Rav4 Initial Review

A couple of you have asked about my initial thoughts on the new model Rav that I have just received so please find my initial thoughts below.

These as you can guess are very subjective and may well change as the car gets a few more miles on the clock and we get used to each other. Again this is more a comparison with my previous model a 2009 XT-R D-4D AWD only option iPod interface against a 2012 XT-R D-4D with Style, Protection packs and the Go option (Nav)

First, there has been a lot of negativity recently on trade ins, my experience has been of trading in a three year old Rav4 XT-R D-4D AWD, with a full service history – I achieved within £1500 of what I paid for it when I purchased it new, in trade in value, when I asked about if I had a SR 180 and was trading it in, the response was interesting in the fact that I was told the value would be a lot lower due to

i) run flat tyres

ii)putting it bluntly a second hand XT-R sells.

according to the dealer second hand SR’s do not sell as well in today’s market I asked about the engine issues and as far as Toyota are concerned that doesn’t come into it, as a further point he pointed out that Toyota no longer offer the higher power engine model as economy is firmly in most peoples minds.

On to the review.

What I like

Engine more responsive,

Clutch lighter,

Heated seats – diesels take a while to warm up – interestingly this model gets warm air a lot quicker than the previous model.

Touch & Go

Steering lighter and more responsive

Smart entry (no key to lacerate my leg and wear through my pockets in two seconds flat)

So the first few I am sure you understand, but they have brought some nice have features into the base model such as the Smart entry/start system despite that I keep looking for my keys to stop the engine and have them in my hand when I get into the car.

Touch system has full iPod control via the iPod usb cable, it also supports full bluetooth music streaming, reversing camera, and seamless transfer of phone contacts, making phone calls from the system or Steering wheel, either from the contact list or entering a new number verbally or through the screen.

Go hmmm not sure about this option, still not full postcode support even though you can type them in, the combination of postcode and house number my old TomTom would get me to within 10m of the door, with the Go it is more like ½ mile – not good but even when you are not using the Go (Nav) it still bleeps a warning when you are near a speed camera (you can turn it off) useful.

There you go an initial review please feel free to ask anything else you would like to know

Any idea who makes the go unit,, what sat nav software is it using? How are the maps updated.

Do these run on googles Android OS?

Sounds like a nice little system any pics of it? :D

I believe it is Harman (JBL) that make it the physical unit, maps are from Navteq, there is a lot of google integration but not sure what the underlying OS is, maps are updated through USB via a USB memory stick.

As for pics not taken any yet, might have a go this afternoon and try a MP4 rather than static pictures, any particular areas of interest?

Gus

....and aren't our Dealers great Gus.....? The one I spoke to (as reported) stood and argued with me 2 weeks ago that the SR180 didn't have runflats, albeit he had sold one the day before for £16.550.00 (59 plate / 18k miles)....wonder what he told the buyer was on the circumference of his alloys, eh....? I PHYSICALLY CHECKED THEY HAD NOT BEEN REMOVED AND SWAPPED TO NORMALS....

He totally concurred with you on the engine problem though......not an issue...."if it breaks, Toyota will fix it..." He did not deserve to be informed of two plights of members hereon, so I left without educating him on how to devalue any potential customer's trade in any further than he would or could....

Big Kev

I believe it is Harman (JBL) that make it the physical unit, maps are from Navteq, there is a lot of google integration but not sure what the underlying OS is, maps are updated through USB via a USB memory stick.

As for pics not taken any yet, might have a go this afternoon and try a MP4 rather than static pictures, any particular areas of interest?

Gus

Just which Google OS its using really, are there any Google terms and conditions in the unit anywhere, in settings maybe? Stating hardware, software etc?

This system could be good for loading other software onto, anything from the android market really, can you add apps to it?

Or is it all tied down?

Good to know your pleased with the new Rav Gus, have I read it right you lost only £1500 in 3 yrs on the old one ?

Good to know your pleased with the new Rav Gus, have I read it right you lost only £1500 in 3 yrs on the old one ?

Correct, ignoring servicing & general running costs, no breakdowns or faults in the 3 years, a bit of oil, less than a litre in 3 years inbetween services, oh the biggest extra cost in that 3 years was for two Geolanders G91a at a cost of £240 for the two, if I followed to the letter of the law it probably didnt need new tyres but I didnt fancy a bad winter with only just over the legal min.

Apps are available Jedi - through the Toyota portal!! just remembered.

Gus

So.... just to clarify.... if you paid 20k for your 3 year old one, you got 18.5k as a trade in? Were there other things at play? Such as a huge discount at purchase or a sizeable discount on the new one?

If you did just loose £1500 quid (and i cant work out how) it must be the biggest bargain in motoring.

Why dont Toyota just stick a TonTom in the dadh and have done with it? TomTom is still beyter than any built in sat-nav.

Is the £1500 based on paying full list price for the new car?

Is the £1500 based on paying full list price for the new car?

Very good point !! It is possible to buy a brand new SR for £25,285.. which is around 4K off list.

Dealers cam massage and play with figures till the cows come home but its the price to change that counts !!

Obviously trading a Rav into a franchised Dealer especially a 2009 one is going to be a lot easier than say My 2006 one simply because it has the extended warranty until 2016..

I could get 13500 quid for My car if I was to pay full list for a new car...

Trust Me on this one Most non Toyota dealer will bring up the engine issue for two reasons.. They do not fully understand what is going on and of course they will use any lever to buy Our cars for less.. But be assured They are catching on very fast indeed !!

As for Runflats making a car worth less .. Well were damned if We change them and damned if We don't !!.. But I do agree a car fitted with run flats will be a harder car to get rid of that's for sure !!

I have to say that I thought that the trade in price for my 2009 Astral Black SR180 was quite reasonable. I traded it in with 36,600 miles on the clock and I was the second owner. The spec wasn’t that great in my opinion, as it didn’t have satnav or leather, in fact the only extras where a style pack and mud flaps. The run-flat tyres where down to 2mm on the front, and 4mm on the rear. The wheels where a bit scabby also having not done too well with the salt over the last two winters!

I bought my SR two years ago for £19,500 with 7,000 miles on the clock, and was given £15,000 in PX against my new 2012 XT-R. I also got £2,500 discount on the new car, which wasn’t that difficult to achieve by playing two dealers off against each other.

I negotiated the price on the basic car before adding all of the available factory fitted options. Still gutted that Toyota have cocked up the front mud flap fitment with the new “Style” running boards, but Mr Dremel will hopefully sort that issue out :0)

Has anybody spoken to Toyota UK about the mud flap issue?

Gus

Did your 2009 RAV have the 150 engine? Also, the PTC in your new RAV is bigger than the previous so it will warm up quicker.

GS...

They consider the car doesn't need mudflaps as the steps stop a lot of dirt. TBH the mudflaps do some good but in the interests of wind resistance they are quite small and you still get a lot of crud slung up the sides.

Just which Google OS its using really, are there any Google terms and conditions in the unit anywhere, in settings maybe? Stating hardware, software etc?

This system could be good for loading other software onto, anything from the android market really, can you add apps to it?

Or is it all tied down?

No terms and conditions that I can find in the manual or via the HID.

Gus

Sounds like a very good deal thrre, Gus.

Quite surprised the touch & go does not have full Postcode input (actually VERY surprised) as it looked like that had joined the 21st century with the T&G at first.

hoovie on the high seas

I thought the TNS510 (in the Avensis) didnt for a while then i found "enter full postcode" on a sub menu, very odd. Full Postcode is generally more useful than a POI.

Looking around my new RAV4 XT-R today and spotted a small issue with the underseal in the rear wheel arches. Looks like the body is sealed before the bolts are installed from the inside which punch through the underseal leaving exposed steel bolts. I'm sure that over time if this is not treated you could get water ingress, or at the very least rusting.

I have also attached a couple more photo's of the new style side step which is preventing the fitting of front mud flaps. There is also a picky of my car :thumbsup:

post-99723-0-85273600-1330973600_thumb.j

post-99723-0-57231500-1330973610_thumb.j

post-99723-0-48791100-1330973619_thumb.j

post-99723-0-31651500-1330973629_thumb.j

post-99723-0-50777700-1330974357_thumb.j

post-99723-0-05681400-1330974365_thumb.j

post-99723-0-05307400-1330974374_thumb.j

post-99723-0-93340500-1330974381_thumb.j

post-99723-0-96073000-1330974389_thumb.j

Looking around my new RAV4 XT-R today and spotted a small issue with the underseal in the rear wheel arches. Looks like the body is sealed before the bolts are installed from the inside which punch through the underseal leaving exposed steel bolts. I'm sure that over time if this is not treated you could get water ingress, or at the very least rusting.

Same on earlier 4.3s too. Good dollop of Waxoyl does the trick :thumbsup:

Phil,

I am going for it on a dry day, I am going to do a test run a couple of times on a cardboard mud flap :lol: but the only way round it as I see it is to cut a hole in the mudflap that matches the end of the side step.not sure if Hoovie has had a go or even if he has the same issue.

Gus

Fitting flaps to the new type steps really is very easy.. Using a cardboard template wont help as the part You file away with the dremel is on the curved part of the plastic....

Mark out with a sharpie marker pen and cut less than needed. Then pop in the top bolt to ensure the height is right and pull the flap away but leaving the top bolt loose. This will allow taking just a bit at a time away till the fit is perfect...

My 2011 SR has the identical steps so have same issue as you. Can't see it being that hard to adapt the flap but I will be practising on a sheet of styrene first to make a template for one side and can then flip it over to do the other.

I can assure you Charlie has done one with a Dremmel as described above because we discussed it not long ago.

Charlie, did you take any pickies of the install that you did please?

Gust, it would be worth taking some pickies and doing a write up. I have have also picked up a set of mudflaps and a Dremel 300 so will be having a go at some point in the near future.

Incidently, I contacted Toyota UK today and had a rant at them about the issue, they told me that I was the first to report it... That I find very hard to believe..!