Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Stuggling For Power

webleymk3

Folks,

This morning during my drive on the motorway i suddenly found the car was struggling for power. When i put the foot down the car started lurching as it tried to accelerate. If i revved the car with the clutch down there were no problems. so in essence, the engine struggled when the manifold pressure was up as the car was trying to get to speed.

Make sense??

Could it be the sensor in the manifold??

Cheers

Weblers

Sounds just like what i had with the Verso, cleaning the EGR helped but it didnt cure it, the hesitation appeared further up the rev range. Albeit outside of the normal operating range for a Diesel.

I convinced myself it was the 38,000 mile old fuel filter, but as i got out of the car i will never know what was causing it.

Folks,

This morning during my drive on the motorway i suddenly found the car was struggling for power. When i put the foot down the car started lurching as it tried to accelerate. If i revved the car with the clutch down there were no problems. so in essence, the engine struggled when the manifold pressure was up as the car was trying to get to speed.

Make sense??Could it be the sensor in the manifold??

Cheers

Weblers

- - - - --

hi matey

the struggle for power it is the result leading to several possible reasons.

as far as I ve caught from you -- yrs is powered by diesel.

you did not state any previous works done + millage. in case your fuel filter is fresh enough then open an EGR valve lid and evaluate holes blocking rate and clean. I 'd ope EGR first and after fuel filter.

cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor. You're right i should have added a few more details...

she's a 2007 diesel (2.2 D4D engine) sitting at 55,000 miles. Interestingly Toyota just MOT'd the car and noted the oil was a touch low... i checked the level and it's bang on half way between the dots which I thought is about right for 4000 miles since serviced. I've been told it takes about 1litre to go from the bottom dot to the top one so this would be about 0.5 litres of oil.

I am to take the car into Mr T who are going to top the oil up then let me run it fo 1000 miles before rechecking to see if it has the piston valve problem Charlie had.

Wee bitty worried as i'm driving to Englandshire tomorrow and the last thing i need is a breakdown!

Have a look at this very short thread, its an interesting connect the dots one http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132854 i would like to get an answer to my question. It could of course be a red herring and just a coincidence.

Its unlikely it will drink a litre of oil on the way south and back unless your going to be covering over 1000 miles, and then the issue has got worst very quickly.

you should definitely inspect EGR.

when opened -- check with character an oil burnt plies, subject you definitely have an oil burning issue.

by the way how does turbo live? nothing is required for her ? vanes flexibility etc ???

regerds

you should definitely inspect EGR.

when opened -- check with character an oil burnt plies, subject you definitely have an oil burning issue.

by the way how does turbo live? nothing is required for her ? vanes flexibility etc ???

regerds

Ok. I shall inspect the EGR...

I don't understand your question about the turbo... It seemed to be whining quite nicely this morning and wasn't giving cause for concern.

Cheers

re turbo -- noted -- just inspect erg and revert with outcome.

have you ever experienced with power lose symptoms before?

re turbo -- noted -- just inspect erg and revert with outcome.

have you ever experienced with power lose symptoms before?

No never. The only thing that has changed since yesterday is the fuel.. and i always use VPower. I think the fuel filter was changed at last service. I need to check my receipt which is in the car..

Clicky Bu**ers :lol:

Thanks Igor. You're right i should have added a few more details...

she's a 2007 diesel (2.2 D4D engine) sitting at 55,000 miles. Interestingly Toyota just MOT'd the car and noted the oil was a touch low... i checked the level and it's bang on half way between the dots which I thought is about right for 4000 miles since serviced. I've been told it takes about 1litre to go from the bottom dot to the top one so this would be about 0.5 litres of oil.

I am to take the car into Mr T who are going to top the oil up then let me run it fo 1000 miles before rechecking to see if it has the piston valve problem Charlie had.

Wee bitty worried as i'm driving to Englandshire tomorrow and the last thing i need is a breakdown!

Good long journey will highlight if You have an oil consumption problem Mate .. The engines will burn far more oil when running along at 70 than around the houses.. Fill it right up to the mark and check it after the journey..

Topped her up tonight and she took 1 and a bit litres of oil. I did 320 miles on Friday and I don't think there was significant consumption as I did check it before I left. Watching it properly now though so we'll see Round trip tomorrow should be 300 miles so assuming all is ok there should be next to no consumption.. Right???

Thanks.

Weblers

Has it had a replacement engine Webbers?

Has it had a replacement engine Webbers?

Not as far as I am aware anchs. There is nothing in the log book. Did 250 miles today and will be another 100 tomorrow. I'll check after that to see if there is any significant consumption..

Regarding the power loss, all seems ok. I am going to check the EHR valve imminently to se how that looks. Might even see if Mr T will look when they are confirming the oil levels..

Weblers

Just to confirm with these EGR valves, they are trouble when they stick open, not necessarily if they clog up. You could argue that they are doing you a favour if the exhaust cannot get through.

Lets see what the results of this oil consumption test says.

Just covered 350 miles of mostly motorway driving and the level is still at the top dot... To me that says its not burnt any oil... Maybe the boy who serviced her only put in 6litres not 6.5...

I'll keep checking and see if anything changes.

I'll try and get the EGR valve looked at the weekend. I will photograph it if I can.

Cheers

Weblers.

yes we are tide up to wait when you will disclose its condition (EGR's) --- stop driving :D

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links