Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Install Turbocharger In My Carina Gt [4Age Bt]

MoonGT

I'm owning a 1998 Toyota Carina GT which has got a 4A-GE BT with 6 speed manual transmission under the hood. Now I'm planning to increase it's HP by turbocharging. Therefore would anybody help me on guiding on choosing the right turbocharger and it's acessories.

Doesn't one of the MR2 sports cars from 92 to 97 have the same engine and one of them has a turbo charger!?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm owning a 1998 Toyota Carina GT which has got a 4A-GE BT with 6 speed manual transmission under the hood. Now I'm planning to increase it's HP by turbocharging. Therefore would anybody help me on guiding on choosing the right turbocharger and it's acessories.

= = = = = = =

hi matey

your pistons have been made of an alloy to work without turbocharger due to an extreme temperatures in the cylinders. if you will install turbocharger -- this will lead to an extreme temperature increasing (the more pressure the more temperature -- as per thermodynamics laws) -- and there would be a risc of pistons melting (!!!) just because they are made from normal alloy without temp resisting additives in its formula. even though you change all pistons -- this might also be a wrong way because the crankshaft pins / bearing shells have also been designed basing on normal working pressure raised from piston/connecting rod. it is better to substitute your engine if you still need more power. Cheers/Igor

I'm sure it will be ok to turbo your 4AGE. Many peole on 6G Celica forum in America turbo the 7AFE (1.8) which is a derative of the 4AFE (1.6) with no problems to pistons, crankshaft or bearings. You will probably have to keep boost to about 10 psi due to your engines std higher compression ratio.

You may need to have a exhaust manifold made for your engine as I dont know if one is available for it.

As for turbo, you will have to see what most other 1.6 turbo engines use from factory and use similar turbo.

Done properly, you should easily see 200+hp on 10psi

• Like 1

double post

Thanks for the advise.

I'm in planning phase for that reason prior execution I wannna select a perfect one so that I don't ruin everything. Currently I'm selecting/planning a T3 60 turbocharger and go for a 8 psi boost pressure, 27" x 5.5" x 2.5" Front mount Intercooler as a starting.

I also in doubt for an 8 psi boost do I need to have a Fuel Ignition Controller? If so which brand will be the perfect selection to go with?

I'm sure it will be ok to turbo your 4AGE. Many peole on 6G Celica forum in America turbo the 7AFE (1.8) which is a derative of the 4AFE (1.6) with no problems to pistons, crankshaft or bearings. You will probably have to keep boost to about 10 psi due to your engines std higher compression ratio.

You may need to have a exhaust manifold made for your engine as I dont know if one is available for it.

As for turbo, you will have to see what most other 1.6 turbo engines use from factory and use similar turbo.

Done properly, you should easily see 200+hp on 10psi

that is interesting becasue most 4age 20v owners that is going down the forced induction route are inclined to forge their internals - be it silver-top / 4agze con-rods, pistons etc. The BT's rods are known to be quite weak, which is why most people going down the F/I route they would use ST rods.

i cant comment on 7AFE or 4AFE as i do not know much about them but i would be careful when boosting a 4age BT without any internal upgrades.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links