Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I Or Don't I?

Tony Barnsley

Looking for a new car . . . Have been for a while . . . Have a 2.0Litre Daewoo which was fine, but is getting old and tired (A bit like its owner :D), so wandering past my local Toyota dealership I stumble across an 06 2.2D XTR for 12K . . . Now I really like this car, and having something that I step up to get into would really help my aging back . . .but It's not going to get long journeys, most of my milage is around town . . . Should I pass it up as practically I should get something with better fuel economy (Like the 59 Plate Urban Cruiser with Under 6K miles on it) . . . .The again the Rav 4 isn't going to be any worse fuel wise than the current car. . . .

I just don't know what to do, should I follow my head (And get the UC) or my heart (And get the RAV4)?

Tony

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• jedi134

• Tony Barnsley

• Hoovie

Take a look at this one ? .........

http://pistonheads.c...les/3547728.htm

Top spec and loaded with extras and in truly immaculate condition..................

Seats are perfect in the T180 and have electric adjustment. I do long journeys of 360 miles at a time and find it very comfortable.. So comfortable and practical My other car sits on the drive !!

Welcome to the club Tony :thumbsup:

The UC will doubtless be easier on the fuel and to get any real cost saving from diesel it's nornally reckoned that annual mileage needs to be around 15K to be beneficial.

That being said, if it's you in the photo, you don't look to be a small fella :rolleyes: - have you tried the UC for size?

I would suggest asking for a lengthy test drive in each to see how you feel after a decent run.

Take a look at this one ? .........

http://pistonheads.c...les/3547728.htm

Top spec and loaded with extras and in truly immaculate condition..................

That wouldn't be the one I've read about in the stickies woudl it ?? :g:

Actually It looks like a smashing car and as you say in another thread being owned by a enthusiast makes it much more likely to be looked after properly. My issue is that I just like a manual transmission, thanks for the offer though, it has been tucked away in the recesses of my mind depending on what happens with Mr T this weekend

My issue is that I just like a manual transmission

'Tis a manual Tony - Charlie spent ages footling around with the knob :rolleyes:

'Tis a manual Tony - Charlie spent ages footling around with the knob :rolleyes:

For the life of me I can't understand where I got the idea that D-CAT was auto only, probably one of the many Toyota Spec pages that I have been filling my head with had the combination of DCAT and Automatic transmission. :oops:

Having had a discussion with She I may well be in touch with Charlie after this weekend when I finally get her to look at the choices at Mr T's. . .Of course if he sells it in the meantime, it'll be my loss :crybaby:

For the life of me I can't understand where I got the idea that D-CAT was auto only, probably one of the many Toyota Spec pages that I have been filling my head with had the combination of DCAT and Automatic transmission. :oops:

Having had a discussion with She I may well be in touch with Charlie after this weekend when I finally get her to look at the choices at Mr T's. . .Of course if he sells it in the meantime, it'll be my loss :crybaby:

This is wan of the most honest Forums you will ever join, mucker, and welcome hereto....so.....Here is The Vote of the Scotlandish Jury...

1. If you are genuinely only going to be doing short journeys, buy a Rav (coz they are good), but buy a petrol Rav....Davrav speaks with non-forked tongue.

2. If you insist on a diesel, and want one in ludicrously good nick, above its normal spec., been looked after anally, is genuinely relatively "nippy", and is owned by a wee guy you can negotiate with coz he cannae fight....buy Charlie's....I would if I wanted one in that price bracket.

Good luck with your decision.

Big Kev

Ah you mention an Urban cruiser, as a forum member who has owned both, ( T180 and diesel / petrol Urban cruiser), I would say the out come is in your hands. Rav 4 beautiful car but as you say your only doing town driving you will not get a great MPG, with either type of engine. Urban cruiser either type of engine you will get far better MPG, well over 50 in both types. Granted it does not come with as much tackle as the Rav, and is expensive buying new, but there are plenty of Dealer demos about and they are a lot cheaper. In reality the Urban cruiser is a replacement for the much missed 3 door Rav.

Regards Clare

if your mostly going to be urban and town driving, there's not a lot of point in a diesel RAV, I think you'll end up with fairly high maintenance and not a lot of fuel efficiency.if you really want a RAV get a petrol one, it'll do local with no bother and distance wont hurt your wallet too much.

i tried a UC when i was going to replace my 3 door RAV, unfortunately it doesn't do it for me,just no comparison but definately try 1 before you decide, if i had've gone for one it would have been a d4d UC, i would imagine the petrol UC is fairly economical though , it's the same engine g/box that's in my IQ and that gives high 40's local and 52-60 on distance.

tony

short journeys are for petrol rav.

regards

:drunk: I agree with the big man here! If you want a car that has been very well looked after and polished to perfection! then go look at Charlies car! As I dont think you'll find a better example of a T-180 anywhere! After all his car is an award winning one on another site :yes::thumbsup:

I think I may have misunderstood.... If the car is for short journeys around town the the diesel Rav is not the car to go for.. 35 MPG is not great and cant compare to an Urbancruiser. I get 42 on the motorway but sit at 70 on cruise to get that figure. Also if I'm honest I believe the engines in these cars does not like short stop go running which may attribute to the problems suffered by the 2AD engines ...

For long motorway work the car is brilliant but around town the typically notchy gear change that the Ravs has can be a pain.

A petrol Rav will be way to expensive fuel wise with some owners reporting 15 MPG in the colder weather so I would think again if economy is an issue.

To be frank I don't think a Rav is a town car full stop . As a distance car with good space and sensible economy I actually prefer it to the Jag and that's saying quite a lot.. But if the bulk of Your driving Tony is round town buy something else Mate ..

I wouldn't say a Rav is a town car either, 4 wheel drive, big heavy.etc

If its for town use i'd go with the UC, its a town Rav. :D

I hear they are almost giving UCs away on the IOM :unsure:

One member seems to be collecting them.........................

I wouldn't say a Rav is a town car either, 4 wheel drive, big heavy.etc

If its for town use i'd go with the UC, its a town Rav. :D

Its front wheel drive for 99.9% of its life. No heavier than a mondeo estate.... But not a town car as the gear change is crap and the fuel economy is not competitive with the Urbancruiser.. But it was never designed to be ..............

Might be front wheel drive part time, but its still got to turn transfer box gears and the heavy propshaft round all the time, and lug the rear diff around.....:D this has an effect on economy, the rav is just too big in towns in 4.3 guise IMO. But good to see over traffic jams.

Might be front wheel drive part time, but its still got to turn transfer box gears and the heavy propshaft round all the time, and lug the rear diff around..... :D this has an effect on economy, the rav is just too big in towns in 4.3 guise IMO. But good to see over traffic jams.

Certainly got a bit of weight but I'm sure I read somewhere that the 4.3 RAV has the same, or smaller, footprint than a Focus :unsure:

Not sure about the foot print but 4.3 ravs look huge to me......my 200 bhp golf loses 30 bhp through the part time 4x4 running gear, same golf non 4x4 only loses about 10bhp through the FWD running gear :D.

So that's a lose of 20 bhp just to shift the prop and extra gears/diff

Yup - I guess the added height makes it appear bigger but:

Focus RAV 4.3

Length - 4337mm 4315mm

Width - 1839mm 1815mm [both without mirrors]

T.circle - 10.4 metres 10 metres

Who'd a thought it................................

EDIT

That was a nicely spaced table before posting :angry:

if you are getting a car for town use only and focussed on stuff like economy then you need something like a supermini really.

But if you are interested not just getting from A to B but how you get there, then you need to let your heart have a decent say as well as your head I reckon.

A 3-door 1600cc Suzuki GV would be a nice choice IMO for town work and fun at other times.

Not a big car at all !! David is correct the footprint is no bigger than a Focus.... The elevated driving position makes it far easier in town than a Focus. Thats exactly what the Wife had before the rav.. OK She has given up driving now but found the Rav a far better car in town, So do I ..

But if We are talking town cars the Rav cant be in the equation ? Yes the urbancruiser can be along with stuff like Puntos and fiestas ect. Any small very economical car.. But the rav petrol drinks at an alarming rate. The diesel better but not town car like.

But it s hard to have the best of both worlds. I bought the Rav for towing the jet ski off slippery slipways. Long distance work and load lugging at which it excels .

If I had wanted a town car that does 50 MPG the Rav would not have had a look in.

I guess though it depends on what You call economical ? I get 35 to 37 round town driven carefully. 42 on long runs. This is with a brand new engine and the Lindop tuning box in place..

Another thing bearing in mind is that Myself and a few others were not getting anywhere near the above figures before Our engines were changed. More like 28 to 30 in town and 35 on the motorway up till the new engine was fitted..

Kanulondon and I think Blue Monster will bear this out ...

A good reason to buy a car with a new engine ? But a town car ? No Never ...................

So the focus is longer and wider?

What about weight?

RAV heavier by about 400kg or just under half a ton in old money .

As you'd expect with everything being chunkier.

So the focus is longer and wider?

What about weight?

RAV heavier by about 400kg or just under half a ton in old money .

As you'd expect with everything being chunkier.

Thats what makes the rav a popular choice with caravanner's and those who tow fairly heavy trailers.. Weight.. Try towing Local Heroes caravan with a focus ?

Its all about what You or I want from a car and to have a Rav and an urbancruiser in the same equation is a hard one.. Two entirely different cars with two different purposes ?