Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I Or Don't I?

Tony Barnsley

Freelanders have stronger suspensions parts as compared to my Rav, and I can put a lot more weight in the Freelander, without it doing a wheelie!!! :driving:

Never tired towing with any of them though....

But been underneath both and the suspension parts on my Rav look like mechano parts when compared to the Freelander.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• jedi134

• Tony Barnsley

• Hoovie

But been underneath both and the suspension parts on my Rav look like mechano parts when compared to the Freelander.

At least mechano can be fixed easy, wait till the Freeloader goes wrong!

Dave

Its no different from any other car to fix.....

DMF, Piston rings....are those easy to fix? :D

VDU, IRD, Rear diff

I,d rather take my chances with the Freelanders problems.

VDU, IRD, Rear diff

My daughter's Freelander was a money pit & ended up having to have the propshaft disconnected in order to get it through its last (with us) MOT, effectively converting it to FWD only. Otherwise it was a complete bag of sho1t & simply confirmed my intention to never again have a JLR product.

On the other hand, 3 RAV's & an LC4 have never given trouble.

VDU, IRD, Rear diff

My daughter's Freelander was a money pit & ended up having to have the propshaft disconnected in order to get it through its last (with us) MOT, effectively converting it to FWD only. Otherwise it was a complete bag of sho1t & simply confirmed my intention to never again have a JLR product.

On the other hand, 3 RAV's & an LC4 have never given trouble.

Apparently, reading previous Posts from the green one, a DMF is a very cheap and easy repair repair.

And the RAV4.3 Piston Rings are a VERY easy and cheap repair - drop into a Toyota Garage and they give you another car to drive around in while they sort it out FOC :yes:

I'd rather take my chances with a Toyota Product and I would rather have bamboo under my fingernails rather then buy a Freelander.

Just stop confusing me guys!!!

While cost factor has to come into it, my old nubira is giving me 300miles to 55L of petrol (and getting worse) with my current driving pattern, mostly round town, but some country roads to go to and from the stables. . .As I am lucky enough to work within a couple of miles of home I am thinking of sacking the car for work journeys and using the bike instead. I also do a couple of long runs to the inlaws which is a 600 mile round trip on motorways and the A14/A47.

I reckon that a diesel RAV will not be any more expensive that the POS Nubira that I currently have, plus the level of refinement will be light years ahead. . . .Then there is the issue of towing . . . although we do not currently (Apart from a little Erde 122) do any towing, there is the possibility of borrowing a horsebox from the stables/yard and taking our beastie out to the country/beach for rides . . .Now 500kg of horse pluse trailer takes some pulling . . . and I can use this as a lever with She to help her come round to my way of thinking :D

No local D4D UC's round here lots of petrol ones, and If I do go UC I want it to be a Diesel one.

And yes, I have the landrover gene I absolutely love them (The county and the Defender . . .even the Series 3 - particularly the 3.5L V8), I could tolerate a old style Disco :yucky: , but I know what the running costs are like on these things plus the refinement level is basic to say the least.

So until this morning I was looking at ditching the idea of a RAV and going with the UC . . . Now The RAV is firmly in the game . . ..Or even (Shock Horror) a VW Touran 1.6D).

I am just going to have to visit Mr T and have a play with his toys.

While cost factor has to come into it, my old nubira is giving me 300miles to 55L of petrol (and getting worse) with my current driving pattern, mostly round town, but some country roads to go to and from the stables. . .As I am lucky enough to work within a couple of miles of home I am thinking of sacking the car for work journeys and using the bike instead. I also do a couple of long runs to the inlaws which is a 600 mile round trip on motorways and the A14/A47.

I reckon that a diesel RAV will not be any more expensive that the POS Nubira that I currently have, plus the level of refinement will be light years ahead. . . .Then there is the issue of towing . . . although we do not currently (Apart from a little Erde 122) do any towing, there is the possibility of borrowing a horsebox from the stables/yard and taking our beastie out to the country/beach for rides . . .Now 500kg of horse pluse trailer takes some pulling . . . and I can use this as a lever with She to help her come round to my way of thinking :D

No local D4D UC's round here lots of petrol ones, and If I do go UC I want it to be a Diesel one.

And yes, I have the landrover gene I absolutely love them (The county and the Defender . . .even the Series 3 - particularly the 3.5L V8), I could tolerate a old style Disco :yucky: , but I know what the running costs are like on these things plus the refinement level is basic to say the least.

So until this morning I was looking at ditching the idea of a RAV and going with the UC . . . Now The RAV is firmly in the game . . ..Or even (Shock Horror) a VW Touran 1.6D).

Hi Tony,

These varrying options can certainly give you brainache. If it's any help, over the past 15 years or so I've worked on a fairly simple formula:

If someone else is paying the bills (e.g. company car) then I will go with what I really fancy (HMRC ransom allowing of course) & won't worry about the running costs or potential breakdown. However, if I'm spending my own cash, I'll always go Japanese.

This approach has worked a treat so far.

Good Luck,

Jim

my petrol 3 door over the last 8 years or so has returned around 28/29 on local stuff and 32/34 on distance. the only time it's ever dropped below 28 was foot to the floor 4 up with a Roof Rack running on the autoroute.i would presume a well kept later 2 ltr petrol would do about the same.

as toyota haven't yet come up with a decent replacement for the 3 door , I've got a 1.3 IQ for the daily commute and keep the rav for weekends etc

tony

Tony,

From your 'want list' there, I would say a RAV4 is definitely looking like a good choice there, as little town work maybe (unless the weather is yucky, in which case a nice 4x4 will be handy anyway of course) and a nice Motorway cruiser - and if Charlie prefers using his RAV4 for 300+ mile M-way journeys over his Jaguar, then I guess that tells you what you need to know about suitability for that task.

Have a drive in the RAV4 at a dealers, see what you think and if you ARE looking to spend around £12k, I think the answer is already in this thread :) (Also remember a Towbar supply and Install is anywhere from £500-£1,000 so if it is already there .... )

Hi Tony,

These varrying options can certainly give you brainache. If it's any help, over the past 15 years or so I've worked on a fairly simple formula:

If someone else is paying the bills (e.g. company car) then I will go with what I really fancy (HMRC ransom allowing of course) & won't worry about the running costs or potential breakdown. However, if I'm spending my own cash, I'll always go Japanese.

This approach has worked a treat so far.

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim, with you 100% on that summary :yes:

The last non-Japanese car I had was a Rover 623GSi, and I only got that as it was really a better looking Honda Accord :D

A tow bar supply and fit £500-£1000??....surely not £200 max. :D

Did your pants fall down when you got that quote :P

Is that a main dealer price? Shocking.....

Towbar on My car was 600 quid as its a genuine Toyota one with a removable hitch..

As for miles per pound .. To fill My one to the brim from the light on takes 64 to 67 quid filling with Vpower.. I can do My commute of 360 miles and still have 130 miles left in range and just over the quarter mark on the gauge.. This I find absolutely acceptable given the comfort over that 5 to 6 hour journey. Around town I get 35 as an average which again I feel is fine..

My car has the Lindop tuning box fitted and is there for economy reasons and not for the power gain. Without this box in place the car does 38/39 on the run so no major gain but around town 30 MPG so that is where the payback is achieved..

Tony couple of points worth bearing in mind..

If You are going to buy a Rav make sure its either a late one or one that has had the engine changed !! Without this in all honesty I would not recommend buying one full stop !!!..

These cars Pre engine change are more thirsty and that is a definite fact as many will tell You...

I feel Tony will not mind Me saying.. He made a tentative offer or should I say suggested a figure on My car which is just to far away from the asking . This is not a problem as it is exactly what I would do !! I do have a very interested Person after My car now and its only because I am now in the Midlands instead of 360 miles north that the car has not been checked and likely sold.. Sods law determines I get a very serious punter just as I have to travel south for nearly a month...

So Tony make sure You buy a car that has been sorted IE engine changed and preferably with the clutch done as well as this is a 1200 quid job !! I feel that an original car with the original engine is to great a risk to take especially if its getting near to that extended warranty ending.. Plus there is little doubt it will drink quite a bit more diesel...........

Hoovie is bang on the money.. As a distance tool for comfort I choose the Rav over the XF.. Mad ?? No its just better over distance ..

020.jpg

Oh and as for Jedi and His Freelander take no notice He is the Forum Loony tune........ :D

Dave (Hoovie) Sorry to correct you but your last non Japanese car was the QQ. Japanese Company yes but QQ is built in Sunderland.

Is that me being too picky Sorry

Regards Clare

Dave (Hoovie) Sorry to correct you but your last non Japanese car was the QQ. Japanese Company yes but QQ is built in Sunderland.

Is that me being too picky Sorry

Regards Clare

Which makes the Avensis British! (Burnaston) and the Yaris French.

Not picky Clare, but I hope you are not ill because you are showing signs of behaving like an Engineer and being punctilious. I wouldn't wish that state of mind on anybody :D :thumbsup:

Dave (Hoovie) Sorry to correct you but your last non Japanese car was the QQ. Japanese Company yes but QQ is built in Sunderland. Is that me being too picky Sorry Regards Clare
Which makes the Avensis British! (Burnaston) and the Yaris French. Not picky Clare, but I hope you are not ill because you are showing signs of behaving like an Engineer and being punctilious. I wouldn't wish that state of mind on anybody :D :thumbsup:

I just wish I knew what punctilious means ????

I just wish I knew what punctilious means ????

Picky!

Almost the same as pedantic. I think punctilious is going into great and correct detail when it is necessary and pedantic when it isn't necessary or too much of it.

It's amazing what you learn from early morning radio 2.

So, am I being punctilious about the word pedantic or pedantic about the word punctilious?

Either way, I'll get me coat.................. :D.

Ref QQ being British, I was expecting someone to say that :)

yup, it is made in Britain, and about 80 miles from where I live - and actually designed in Britain as well, but what makes it Japanese is the Build Ethos and Quality Control, and that is what makes the key difference IMO :yes:

Hoovie is bang on the money.. As a distance tool for comfort I choose the Rav over the XF.. Mad ?? No its just better over distance ..

I am surprised that you find the RAV better than the Jaguar over distance - I would have thought it would be the other way around. As a passenger in an XF on a long trip I have found it very comfortable.

David

I run a Rav and a LR Discovery (bought specifically for towing purposes). Given the choice I'd jump in the Rav every day over a LR (even/especially in snow!) but I HAVE to have a bigger car to tow. Had the Disco 10 years (third LR) and would never buy another as the break downs and expense is hard to bear. Given the choice to do it again I'd probably go Landcruiser to get the best of both but couldn't afford a decent one! (yet). If it's a big version of the Rav I'd have died and gone to heaven!! I don't know the official figures but I'd think you'd just pull a box with one horse as long as it's not a strenuous run. Two horses- forget it.

Hope that helps!

Dave

I run a Rav and a LR Discovery (bought specifically for towing purposes). Given the choice I'd jump in the Rav every day over a LR (even/especially in snow!) but I HAVE to have a bigger car to tow. Had the Disco 10 years (third LR) and would never buy another as the break downs and expense is hard to bear. Given the choice to do it again I'd probably go Landcruiser to get the best of both but couldn't afford a decent one! (yet). If it's a big version of the Rav I'd have died and gone to heaven!! I don't know the official figures but I'd think you'd just pull a box with one horse as long as it's not a strenuous run. Two horses- forget it.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Hi Dave,

We had a new 57-reg LC4 for two years; only sold it because I was spending so much time on the train to London that it never got used from one week to the next.

Absolutely brilliant car. Sold it at 33K miles and it only ever needed routine servicing which never cost more than £250. MPG = 30 overall; not bad for an 8-seater that could pull a 747 (well, it certainly felt like it!). Handled pretty good as weel for something that weighed 2.7 tonnes. .And the added bonus was the feeling of immense security it gives you.

If you get the chance of one, go for it. You won't be disappointed. I'm seriously considering another one.

Jim

Hi Dave,

We had a new 57-reg LC4 for two years; only sold it because I was spending so much time on the train to London that it never got used from one week to the next.

Absolutely brilliant car. Sold it at 33K miles and it only ever needed routine servicing which never cost more than £250. MPG = 30 overall; not bad for an 8-seater that could pull a 747 (well, it certainly felt like it!). Handled pretty good as weel for something that weighed 2.7 tonnes. .And the added bonus was the feeling of immense security it gives you.

If you get the chance of one, go for it. You won't be disappointed. I'm seriously considering another one.

Jim

I had a LC3 from new and I am wondering about another one too! Mine was a manual but if I do get another one I will go for an automatic next time as I think it will give a more relaxing drive.

David