Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 D4D Alternator, Oil And Water In The Diesel Lights On?

Cambob

Hi was wondering if anyone can help?

Driving along today when for no apparent reason, three warning lights came on on the dash all at the same time. Battery, oil level and water in the diesel filter. When I got home I checked if the alternator was charging, it is not, the belt however is ok and tight enough. Possibility of a duff alternator causing all these lights to come on at the same time???

Any help much appreciated in advance, Cheers.

• Like 1

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on that one. Check the Battery connections then run it for a while to see if it does it again.

Driving along today when for no apparent reason, three warning lights came on on the dash all at the same time. Battery, oil level and water in the diesel filter. When I got home I checked if the alternator was charging, it is not, the belt however is ok and tight enough. Possibility of a duff alternator causing all these lights to come on at the same time???

= = = = = = ==

- alternator --- > check condition of connections / degrease them; have multi tester and measure charging voltage;

- oil level ---> be sure you have no an oil drinking issue;

- water in fuel filter ----> time to time you should drain fuel sludge from filter housing -- it is normal.

cheers/Igor

Lights stay on constantly, not charging.

The alternator has a multiplug with 4 terminals. From memory I think they are L, M, S and IG. Does anyone know what to expect from these terminals?

Cheers once again.

On the face of it, a very odd combination of warning lights!

Q: How do you know that the alternator is not charging?

Might be worth checking the small alternator fuse. From memory, this is a 5A fuse, labelled ALT or ALT-S, located in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Remove lid, and all fuse locations are marked. If alternator gets no input, there will be no output from it.

Again from memory, there are 3 small connector leads to the alternator: One is +12v (Battery voltage sensing, permanently live) and connected straight to the Battery main fuse; the second is +12v IGN (connects to ignition switch, switched); the third is IND (alternator dash warning light). Check the two +12v lines out with a voltmeter or small lamp.

Check all the connections are clean. The output from the alternator is by a heavy duty lead. The output is also fused with a hefty (? 100A ?) fuse.

Chris

Could be loose, connection, alternator brushes on the way out, or the regulator on its was out,

Sounds like there was an intermittent lose of power, to throw all those lights on.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem (Charge and fuel filter) i gave the alternator a few taps and it was ok for a while but reckon brushes are iffy. im getting it tested monday hopefully once i can remove it ok.I'll reply when i get a result

• 1 month later...

ive just had the same problem on way back from holiday with the caravan on the back when all the lights came on

oil level , Battery , fuel filter , rac man said not charging so got towed home

just want to try and check with you guys who have had the same problem , before i Shell out for a new alternator

thanks martin

well fitted new alternator and all three lights have gone out

***** job aswell

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2012 at 10:37 PM, Cambob said:

Hi was wondering if anyone can help?

Same happened to me last night, first got those lights, but the car was driving, then got VSC, and Traction control lights,as it was raining a bit I used the wipers, they behaved sluggishly, then slowly but surely all electrics faded finally cutting out and me calling for a tow home. the car is with the Mechanic now, I'll let you know how I get on.

Incidentally, it had passed it's NCT/MOT just two weeks before, and because it's a Taxi it was to go through the renewal test five hours later, I will now lose the fee which is €125.00 and have to re-apply!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys did post on this a while ago as my daughter had same fault with her 03' rav 4 d4d,local Toyota main dealer just gave me blank looks and said never heard of this one before,checked service bulletins and said nothing there !, did all the checks on fuses and voltages on altenator and sure enough not charging,spoke to local auto elec' who said 'had it before mate its altenator', so he pulled altenator and checked and sure enough brushes down to nowt, he did say altenator full of oil which because of its stupid location had collected all the road grit and acted like grinding paste, full of oil ? yes my daughter tops up engine oil straight from can ! and oil filler is located right above altenator,spills run off rocker cover down block and into altenator.say no more. still not too bad as altenator is a right pig to get off anyway (got to drop subframe on that side to get it out) I let auto elec' do it ,with altenator rebuild he charged me £65

• 4 years later...

Hi.

I have the same issue 2005 avensis. alternator was changed and all 3 lights are still on but alternator is charging? oil fine, fuel filter fine. had this issue for 2 years now but ive learnd to live with it.

any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

thankyou.

• 1 year later...

Hi I have the same issue with mine it's a 2003 Toyota Rav4 d4d now when I bought it at the beginning of the month I had no lights on the dash but when I put my lights on at night they constantly flickered so my mechanic said its the alternator, so I bought a new one of this guy on eBay he said that it was new but its been stuck in his garage for over 12 months so I bought it anyway and had it fitted and now I have the 3 lights on oil, Battery and diesel filter, so I spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said that he had the same lights on on his after he fitted it so he bought a new oneso he fitted that and he still has the same 3 lights, so I thought that the one I bought of him that's put the lights on on mine might be faulty so I have been out and bought a new one and had that fitted and I have still got the same 3 lights on but it's charging ok all the connections are on properly and tight so don't know now, we have scanned the car with a fault code reader and it's coming up with no faults but the 3 lights are on permanently don't know what to do next but car is running ok apart from the 3 annoying lights anyone got any ideas 

• 7 months later...

Hello,
It seems to have the same problem.
Has anyone discovered what causes these issues?

You should really sstart afresh with your topic and explain what your particular problem is.

It is exactly the same reports exposed here, same engine, same lights, recent alternator ...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

A few days ago whilst driving my 2008 2.5 d4d hiace LWB, after around 15 miles into my journey, my aftermarket double din radio turned off and started to reboot....it done this a few times then I noticed the low oil, Battery light and diesel filter light flash intermittently on the dash. Every time the dash lights flashed, the radio would cut off and restart. There was no loss of engine power or power steering...the van drove perfectly fine. I stopped the van for 5 minutes, restarted and everything was fine! Today on the same journey and coincidentally at the near exact same place the lights started flashing but then they stayed on! I pulled in and stopped and restarted the engine a few times....lights still on the dash.....then the lights went out and the check engine light came on! I turned and drove home. I then tried to trouble shoot and started/stopped the engine...checked Battery terminal and plug on alternator....belts all tight, etc. The check engine light then went off and the van is showing no stored fault codes and is once again acting and driving perfect with no lights on the dash. No doubt on the next long drive it will happen again and I'm worried I'll be left stranded! The voltage was checked by a mechanic and all seems normal...held at 2k rpm for a minute or 2 and went up to 14.6..frustrating! My research leads me to believe it is alternator related but I dont understand why it's so intermittent.....any advice would be much appreciated 

20200629_103955.jpg

20200629_111913.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links