Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urban Cruiser Or Kia Soul...?

jedi134

Is it just me or do this two cars look alike?

800px-Toyota_Urban_Cruiser_front-2_20100430.jpg

2011_Kia_Soul_01.jpg

I saw one today and thought thats a nice UC, Black with a white stripe down the middle, but as I got closer, to my suprise it was a Kia Soul :D

Maybe all these UC`s I`ve been seeing are actually Kia`s?

It's you.......should have gone to Specsavers :D:

The Kia looks like something you would keep chickens in

Kingo :thumbsup:

No not a bit alike!! notice you have used the German Toyota Dealers Urbancruiser. Ask Anchs what he thinks of the Soul he,s just got rid of it and gone back to a Rav 4.

Regards Clare

Have to agree with the little green one, which is rare! The Soul looks like a cheap chinese copy IMO chinese.gif

Funnily enough, the Soul was my other option before buying the UC. I never got as far as test driving one just read the entries on 'Road test reports' .The Toyota dealer was so keen to sell me a UC the deal was done there and then. I know from reading up that the Soul has a bit of body roll not something you could accuse the UC of.

I like the straight lines on the Kia, I didn't realise it was the Kia Soul Anchs had, thought he had one of the bigger ones.

I quite like them :D

Maybe because it reminds me of Darths helmet :P

This is the long lost twin 42583545.jpg

seen a bigger Kia today, a Sorento Ithink iy was, and from the back it looked like the Rav 4.3?????

kia-sorento-3-large.jpg

0-07.jpg

Jedi, the Koreans always copy the Japanese!!!!!!

Regards Clare

Seems rife everywhere nowerdays? So many vehicles all looking similar, I wonder if a lot of its to do with ECAP crash testing and safety stuff, all cars have to be a certain height shape etc, to protect pedestrians?

• 2 months later...

I got rid of my blue RAV because my job changed and I became accutely aware that I had over 20k in freefall depreciation. It seemed to make more sense to own something smaller and more economical.

I had driven a Soul while on holiday in the US so knew something about what it was like.

Clare knows that I did consider a UC at the time and indeed I drove one. It was typical Toyota in that it was smooth and quiet and felt very solid. I must admit that while I loved the look of the outside, I didn't really care for the centre facia which looks a bit "planted on" and I prefer a more conventional instrument cluster. It was much smaller inside than a Soul - you wouldn't believe it but the Soul had much more room in the front and back than the RAV did.

Mechanically the UC is a little gem. From the 1.4 diesel to the 4WD system which is the same as the RAV it excelled over the Kia. I have to say that the Soul has been given a half life makeover and it now has the same 1.6 diesel (that would knock spots off the UC in the old form)and is now coupled to a slick 6 speed box and improved soundproofing, new audio and various other bits and bobs.

Why did I choose a Soul then? TBH, to trade down to a new UC would have saved very little money and I could have a new Soul and still put a nice lump in the bank. It was cheaper to insure and did near enough 50mpg. It was a bit crude compared to a Toyota - noisier and the gearbox a bit clunky (the new ones with the 6 speed are nice I believe).

So why change back? That little excercise cost me dearly and to get back I had to stand the VAT and 2k depreciation. By the time I had fitted reversing sensors and run about finding one I liked I suppose it was towards 5k ON TOP of the money I had to fish out of the bank again. What was more upsetting was losing the blue one which was mine from new. RRG offered to give me a brand new one with 4k off to get me into one of theirs (they have been superb and instrumental in the decision to come back to Toyota) but that was another 4k on top of the 5k so was just a none starter. I am also not quite sure about the looks of the new one - some of the ruggedness has gone. I also wanted the keyless entry which has since reappeared - maybe I would have been tempted by the new spec. I still haven't answered the question have I?

The Soul was well built and I rather fancy it would have done me for years but it just wasn't a Toyota. You have to own both to know what I mean. The Soul is leagues ahead of a Ford or Vauxhall but just isn't the same quality or presence as the Toyota.

I bought the Soul on the understanding that I could service it and they would underwrite the warranty. Some would say that it is unreasonable to expect that but look what Toyota are doing with the engines on RAVs. You only have to prove that it has been "reasonably well serviced" to qualify for a hugely expensive engine change. That means 3rd party servicing or even your own service records. There lies the crux of the matter. I just can't imagine that we could be in better hands. I have a superb relationship with the local dealer (RRG Macclesfield) and an underlying complete trust that Toyota will do right in the event of something going wrong. I am under no illusions about what is reasonable but I certainly don't have the same trust in Kia based on little observations and comments from owners.

This feeling also applies to UCs of course and although at the moment the seem to be virtually trouble free you can trust the support. It is this whole package that justified me spending all the money to come back. I should have known better I suppose.

Excellent post Don, we all have our "mad moments" like when I went from T180 to a 1 series BMW then the X3, but you learn by your mistakes. It does cost you and with cars heavy money, but when you know the brand of car you are driving isn,t for you, it makes sense to go back to what you feel best a ease with. You are like me we must have Toyota blood in our veins!!!!!

Regards Clare

Excellent post Don, we all have our "mad moments" like when I went from T180 to a 1 series BMW then the X3, but you learn by your mistakes. It does cost you and with cars heavy money, but when you know the brand of car you are driving isn,t for you, it makes sense to go back to what you feel best a ease with. You are like me we must have Toyota blood in our veins!!!!!

Regards Clare

You might both have Toyota blood in your veins Clare, but Don does not have three legs like you have! ;)

Red, youre not Jedi in disguise are you!!!!!!!! I thought we had got shut of him.

Regards Clare

You never told me about your third leg Clare :eek:

Meaning of the 3 legs of Mann- Which ever way you throw it, it will stand. and as for Manx Fairies, it,s all make believe.Although we do say Hello to the Fairies at a place on the way to Douglas called "Fairy Bridge" (New Castletown Road)

Regards Clare

Also having three legs you have more of a chance of standing in !Removed!.

Comment not appreciated!!!!!

Regards Clare

Red, youre not Jedi in disguise are you!!!!!!!! I thought we had got shut of him.

Regards Clare

So did I

Comment not appreciated!!!!!

Regards Clare

I don't either and I smell a rat. For somebody who has shown a sewing machine as his vehicle type, too much of a rat.

Go away and post on another forum if you can't behave. If you persist in trolling I will get the police on you.

Banned again.

nice one Don!

Is the alien banned?

Here's hoping

Thanks Don and Steve, I thought it was the dreaded one aswell.

Regards Clare

Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't but when I look into somebody's profile and it is full of garbage and they come out with unprovoked assault in one of their opening posts, they are not welcome anyway.

If it was, and I suspect it was, I will be watching further newcomers to see that their profile makes sense and that their conduct is within the club guidelines. Since I reported somebody for trying to sell cracks for internet banking, I had a good chat with an officer in the "internet Crime Division" (yes, there is one) and stalking/trolling is not allowed in law as well is in the TOC.

BE WARNED!

i had a quick look in an 11 plate soul last week as a possible replacement for my nrg 3 door. best thing for me was it had plenty of room for my left leg and foot to go , whereas the UC had no space in that kind of area. Although i never gave it a go up the road i was impressed,

and then i got back into my 132k 52 plate RAV . And thats when you realise just what a spot on motor the 3 door nrg is.

so it looks like i'll be sticking to the RAV and IQ combo for quite a bit longer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links