Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Lights

jdrrco

Is it possible to change/has anyone here changed their reversing light bulbs for something brighter?

Any tips?

Thanks in anticipation.

Good call. Always wondered why there was only one reversing light. Have the new 2012 models got two now? I know it was rumoured.

Not sure about the new Prius, but the Auris has two reversing lights. Be a little careful upgrading though as the law states that reversing lights can only be a maximum of 21 watts - a big burly chap in blue pointed that out to me when he got a bit upset with me using a 55 watt spot on the back of my old Imp! :nono:

...Be a little careful upgrading though as the law states that reversing lights can only be a maximum of 21 watts - a big burly chap in blue pointed that out to me when he got a bit upset with me using a 55 watt spot on the back of my old Imp! :nono:

That's strange because the Mk3 Ford Mondeo had two 55W reversing lights, built in to the rear light clusters (used the same bulbs as the front fogs IIRC).

The Mondeo did use halogen bulbs in the reversing light but they were 21w.

The law states no more than 24w per bulb.

The Mondeo did use halogen bulbs in the reversing light but they were 21w.

The law states no more than 24w per bulb.

I stand corrected, I'd got it in my mind they were same as front fogs. I thought at the time that they were poor (for 55W as I thought they were) as the light didn't spread out much.

No problem, I came over all geeky there, not sure why, as the reason I bought the Auris over the Prius was to hide my inner motoring nerd.

Back on topic, the twin reversing lights combined with the camera in the rear view mirror on the Auris work really well.

If the law states no more than 24 watts per bulb, there's a modern way round that problem in that LED lamps produce more light for less wattage. A 24 watt LED would be more bright than a 100watt halogen.

If the law still specifies electrical wattage as opposed to a measure of actual light output then the law is few years out of touch.

This being the case, I would imagine a 5 watt LED lamp would be brighter than a 24 watt incandescent lamp.

True, but as Hybrid Harbour has already said, twin lights plus reversing camera on the Auris is more than satisfactory for me. :thumbsup:

If the law states no more than 24 watts per bulb, there's a modern way round that problem in that LED lamps produce more light for less wattage. A 24 watt LED would be more bright than a 100watt halogen.

If the law still specifies electrical wattage as opposed to a measure of actual light output then the law is few years out of touch.

This being the case, I would imagine a 5 watt LED lamp would be brighter than a 24 watt incandescent lamp.

Sounds like a plan - is there such a thing?

Those saying they find their lights adequate is fine and dandy for them, but not much use to me! I live in the middle of nowhere with no street lighting and a very long drive (about 400 yards) which I have to reverse up from time to time and the standard bulbs are not bright enough, even with the reversing camera, so any constructive advice would be most welcome.

Maybe you could pimp your ride with a massive bar of spotlights (pointing backwards of course). :D

Being constructive, you basically need more light. So that is either a brighter bulb (LEDs maybe?), or more reversing lights, or a night vision backup camera (is there such a thing?).

I live in the middle of nowhere with no street lighting and a very long drive (about 400 yards) which I have to reverse up from time to time and the standard bulbs are not bright enough, even with the reversing camera, so any constructive advice would be most welcome.

Have you thought of the alternative approach of putting reflectors down the edge of the drive? This solved the problem I had of reversing into an underground garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links