Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Number 3 ?

CharlieFarlie

Pulled of the motorway today after smelling a very strong burning smell.. Bear in mind I have almost no sense of smell !! Opened the bonnet and the heat was incredible but no oil or smoke in evidence.. Had a crawl under the car looking for oil leaks or coolant leaks there were none..

Back under the bonnet I removed the oil filler cap and clouds of thick smoke came out and continued doing so for some while .... Bugger ....

The smell was of burning oil and very acrid... Started the engine and it has a pronounced top end rattle.. Bugger again...

Car has now been uplifted and recovered to the Dealers who have been informed...

There is of course never a good time for something like this to happen but at this moment in time it is disastrous as I am away from home and have an RAC courtesy car for just 24 hours.. I would imagine though that Toyota will once again supply a car but as I have My disabled Wife with Me an Aygo is simply not an option as She will not be able to get in and out of one.. Bugger number 3...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• jedi134

• anchorman

• Mistermena

Charlie I'm speechless .... really am stuck for words if this engine is knackered.

!Removed! Hell mate!... I'm lost for words to!!!! You'd never think that something would happen to a brand new engine like this!!! I hope Mr T will step upto the plate and sort this out asap for you and your wife. Did the RAC give you any ideas to whats happened mate? :huh:

Incredible :no:

What kind of odds is that?

You have my sympathy Charlie, but what can you say?

Mate I too am speechless .. I had a long conversation with Don.. (Anchorman this afternoon ) Who has given Me a few suggestions and a sense of direction on how to approach the Dealers and what questions to ask.. ( Thanks Don )

I did not for some reason think to dip the oil or study what was coming out of the exhaust pipe. I guess being stranded in a lay-by with a rattling smoking engine has that effect ??..

It is a wee bit early to be condemning the engine but it does not look very good..

I have two People after buying the car.. One Guy fairly local to where I live and Tony off this very Forum Who has Emailed Me about the car just today ........... How can I sell this car to anybody ?? I genuinely wish it had caught fire !

PM sent......ffs.

BK

!Removed! Hell mate!... I'm lost for words to!!!! You'd never think that something would happen to a brand new engine like this!!! I hope Mr T will step upto the plate and sort this out asap for you and your wife. Did the RAC give you any ideas to whats happened mate? :huh:

Well not really. He started the engine for just a few seconds and shut it straight off again saying it didn't sound very good at all.. Then ordered up a recovery truck to take the car to the Dealers... There was quite a bit of smoke coming out of the oil filler during that brief start up..

The car has been driven very steadily since the last engine was fitted.. Its never been revved or allowed to labour.. I'm not sure exactly how many miles since the last replacement but at a guess 1700 to 2000....

To say this could not have come at a worse time is an understatement and My dissapointment really does leave Me wanting for words ..

Well not really. He started the engine for just a few seconds and shut it straight off again saying it didn't sound very good at all.. Then ordered up a recovery truck to take the car to the Dealers... There was quite a bit of smoke coming out of the oil filler during that brief start up..

The car has been driven very steadily since the last engine was fitted.. Its never been revved or allowed to labour.. I'm not sure exactly how many miles since the last replacement but at a guess 1700 to 2000....

To say this could not have come at a worse time is an understatement and My dissapointment really does leave Me wanting for words ..

To say this could not have come at a worse time is an understatement and My disappointment really does leave Me wanting for words ..

Leaves me wanting for a car :crybaby:

Charlie, I really don't know what to say, Pending my test drive of a Rav at a dealers I was more than prepared to come up and buy the car from you following a brief inspection. It would only need to be brief, as from what I have seen of the car, and heard of the care you lavish on it, the car would more than sell itself.

I'm now left in an even worse limbo than before I started this game, While I can accept that there are thousands (Hundreds of Thousands probably) of the 2.2 D4D 2AD series engine in use, the frequency of failure that you hear about, on this forum and Rav4World, is quite worrying. The bad news is that any Toyota car I was considering has the 2.2 Diesel engine which means that I now need to go and annoy the Honda and Mazda dealerships. This is annoying as I know just how comfortable the Toyota cars are, and with my back problems I don't want to compromise.

While it could be something as simple as a blocked oil way, or a sheared oil pump drive, to me it looks as though Toyota have a design fault in the 2AD engine (possibly a tolerance issue somewhere), and while they have been very proactive in supplying 3/4 engines and extending the engine warranty to 7 years, anyone buying a used 2.2 Diesel engined Toyota is possibly living on borrowed time.

Thanks for all your help, but I really need to look at a wider marque of vehicles rather than the Toyota's (Hire Cars) that I have used in the past and hated to part with

I really hope you get this sorted and manage to get rid of it

Tony

Oops! Unbelivable! All from the same dealership?

Replacement car I should think now.

If you explain your circumstances to the dealer they should sort you out with a decent run around, I would think :D

That is really incredibly bad news, Fella.

Hope it turns out to be something really, unusually weird, if you see what I mean, rather than another "routine" failure. Hopefully Mr.T will do some bending over backwards-ish to sort things out for you meanwhile.

Good luck with it anyway.

Charlie, I feel for you my friend.T his saga just goes on and on. Hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

Regards Clare

Oh mate. what a ball ache. Hope you get it sorted and can get a decent run about car for you and the Mrs. If you were up here i could have sourced you a car to get you by... If you are home and still stuck gees a shout.

Wibblers..

To say this could not have come at a worse time is an understatement and My disappointment really does leave Me wanting for words ..

Charlie, I really don't know what to say, Pending my test drive of a Rav at a dealers I was more than prepared to come up and buy the car from you following a brief inspection. It would only need to be brief, as from what I have seen of the car, and heard of the care you lavish on it, the car would more than sell itself.

I'm now left in an even worse limbo than before I started this game, While I can accept that there are thousands (Hundreds of Thousands probably) of the 2.2 D4D 2AD series engine in use, the frequency of failure that you hear about, on this forum and Rav4World, is quite worrying. The bad news is that any Toyota car I was considering has the 2.2 Diesel engine which means that I now need to go and annoy the Honda and Mazda dealerships. This is annoying as I know just how comfortable the Toyota cars are, and with my back problems I don't want to compromise.

While it could be something as simple as a blocked oil way, or a sheared oil pump drive, to me it looks as though Toyota have a design fault in the 2AD engine (possibly a tolerance issue somewhere), and while they have been very proactive in supplying 3/4 engines and extending the engine warranty to 7 years, anyone buying a used 2.2 Diesel engined Toyota is possibly living on borrowed time.

Thanks for all your help, but I really need to look at a wider marque of vehicles rather than the Toyota's (Hire Cars) that I have used in the past and hated to part with

Tony

Thanks Tony.. Sorry I cant sell You the car... It will of course be fixed and fixed properly.. Having said that if a Friend were to ask Me would I buy a Toyota with a 2AD engine there could really only be one reply......

I genuinely thought that the car was now sorted and I could sell it with a clear conscience.. Now I don't know what to do with it..

It could of course end up being a blocked DPF filter or Cat converter as Don has pointed out.. This would mean pressurising the crank case..

But the fact that NO warning lights came on and that top end noise suggests its likely more serious than that..

Tony

Thanks Tony.. Sorry I cant sell You the car... It will of course be fixed and fixed properly.. Having said that if a Friend were to ask Me would I buy a Toyota with a 2AD engine there could really only be one reply......

I genuinely thought that the car was now sorted and I could sell it with a clear conscience.. Now I don't know what to do with it..

It could of course end up being a blocked DPF filter or Cat converter as Don has pointed out.. This would mean pressurising the crank case..

But the fact that NO warning lights came on and that top end noise suggests

Oops! Unbelivable! All from the same dealership?

Replacement car I should think now.

If you explain your circumstances to the dealer they should sort you out with a decent run around, I would think :D

its likely more serious than that..

No chance of a replacement car as it was not bought from a Toyota Dealer... I think the Dealer will sort a car or I hire one...

Incredible bad luck, Charlie :(

Hopefully, Toyota GB will buy the car off you at fair market price and bring the whole saga to an end

It is bad luck but now more than ever I am convinced that the dealer has not completed all the recommended checks and these engines are failing due to something else. Its the old lightening thing. Lets see what they say. I believe the dealer can loan you a car and claim it back. Just tell them an IQ is not suitable.

Keep your chin up Charlie, there's more to this than meets the eye.

Hopefully, Toyota GB will buy the car off you at fair market price and bring the whole saga to an end

I'm with you on that, i would imagine Charlie wants to cash out now. Enoughs enough.

I'm with you on that, i would imagine Charlie wants to cash out now. Enoughs enough.

Yep me too.

Good opportunity to use this now as a bargaining deal Charlie,if it is cream crackered.

Sorry to hear about more engine trouble for you charlie, with those symptoms sounds like blown rings. Cant believe that on a new engine?

Sorry to hear about more engine trouble for you charlie, with those symptoms sounds like blown rings. Cant believe that on a new engine?

That was exactly my thought and on two engines???

I believe that either the DPNR (DPF) or the CAT is blocked causing significant back pressure in the engine. It has to go somewhere and if it can't get out the exhaust it will make a way.

It is bad luck but now more than ever I am convinced that the dealer has not completed all the recommended checks and these engines are failing due to something else. Its the old lightening thing.

Keep your chin up Charlie, there's more to this than meets the eye.

I agree, something is not right somewhere.

I'm with you on that, I would imagine Charlie wants to cash out now. Enough's enough.

Again I agree, and I can understand Charlies reluctance to sell on to a private buyer as he must have no faith in the car or Toyota at all . . . Which is a shame as unfortunately it leaves me looking for a car, and I know I'm not going to get anything that has been as well cared for (and pimped) as Charlies

Tony

The dealer should be liaising with TGB as to what has happened and my feeling is they will bottom it this time. There should be no reason why you shouldn't buy it when it comes back.

Update....

Dealer has delivered a courtesy car to where I am staying and will deliver the T180 back to Us and take the loan car away when the work is complete..

Dealer has called to tell Me there is No major damage to the engine.. I will attempt to explain but it did get confusing..

They think that either the thermostat stuck and let the engine overheat ... ??

They have done a compression test and all is OK..

Computers or inboard thingy has stored NO codes...

They say that they can find NO faults at all but are changing the thermostat itself and the housing along with various other sensors.

NO oil was consumed and No coolant was lost..

I then mentioned the top end rattle and they say they are either replacing or synchronising the injectors as these can make a noise ??

They further say that I can go and listen to several other 2.2 Diesels to compare the noise they make in comparison to My engine..

I am informed that the car will be 110 % When it is returned in due course.. The engine was replaced last time around with a brand new unit and NOT a re manufactured one..

The inlet manifold on My car was brand new when the engine was installed. I thought it was the old one...

DPNR is clear..

So am I happy ? With the Dealer a resounding yes....

Am I convinced ? Well they say that the 2AD is a positive pressure crankcase. That along with a very short term of overheat could have caused the smoke and vapours that came out when I removed the oil cap ...................... Nah sorry I remain sceptical....

But when the car is returned I am promised it will be 110% and I will be getting it checked out 110% and that is a fact...

Special thanks to the top Guys

Big Kev... Kev actually offered to drive down to the Midlands and ship Mrs Farlie back up to Scotlandshire !! WOW What a Guy....

Don (Anchorman) for taking the time (again) to explain what may or may not have happened to the engine...

Tim (Mistermena) for the phone call offering support and helping put things into perspective....

John (Kingo) For the advice......

And all those who offered kind words on this thread........

Thanks !!!

sounds like the dealer is pulling out all the stops charlie, i too remain sceptical like you about certain explanations in the above but i reckon the problem will resurface before you get home if its not fixed right or they are talking crap