Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running In The Verso S

Den Harding

Sad I know, but I have just been reading the user manual and it talks about running-in the car.

I didn't know they still ran-in cars as I thought that they bench tested the engines and only minimal running-in was needed. I don't usually rev the nuts of an engine particularly as the last two cars I have had were Yaris Versos!

The running-in plan talks about 600+ miles to bed in the components and I wonder if anyone followed the regime and how they found it?

Generally I would welcome any tips that anyone has on driving and owning the car and would be grateful to know that there are others out there in the ether.

Safe driving.

I usually keep the revs below 3000rpm for the first 800 miles but make sure that the engine does not labour in any gear and is under load in normal driving

I also try to vary the road speed and avoid harsh acceleration or braking and heavy cornering....(The brakes and tyres do also need bedding in)

Running in these days is not as necessary as it used to be, but IMHO it is worth doing particularly if you intend keeping the car for some years

You do not say if you have the manual or CVT gearbox....but the advice is the same for either

Good luck with your Verso S

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my Yaris TR new (in September 2008 back when I was 21, first brand new car), I always made sure it was driven gently though I used lower gears than I'd usually use at first to bed the engine in and to avoid labouring it. Avoided big stops & just basically kept it all smooth. Often had the engine running when I did my weekly tyre pressures to listen to it. As mentioned by Red Yaris 54, I also varied road speed so avoided long runs at constant speeds. Once or twice I was provoked into 'flirting with the revs' though reading a comment by alfiejts, doing so may have done a good thing in burning off an oil glaze. I'm now thinking I could've used higher revs in the running-in phase as a small theory I have, it may help the engine when it is run at high revs (such as brisk acceleration) although that surely isn't essential.

Now at 37,000 miles the car is still sweet as a nut and a pleasure to drive. The motor is incredible, has a lot of pull, keen to rev and fuel efficient. Usually driven gently though not afraid of using the revs where it takes my fancy (within the law though). It's also never used a drop of oil.

So I'd just say the method I used compares well to Red Yaris 54, if not exactly the same, and such should keep the car fresh as a daisy for the long term. Enjoy the car, the Verso S is a cracking motor.