Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

O2 Simulation Sensor (Avensis 1.8 Vvti 2001)

Mr.Grumpy_46

Due to the excessive oil consumption on my 2001 Avensis 1.8 vvti, my Catalytic Converter has been damaged and the car is showing a "0420" code on the fault readout. I've taken the car to a local independant garage and he is quoting about £250-300 for a replacement PLUS labour charges! The damaged Cat is breaking up and blocking the exhaust, causing terrible acceleration and fuel consumption, as you can imagine. As this is an older car, its just not worth the expense. The garage did suggest knocking the old Cat out of the exhaust to reduce back pressure, but as I understand it this will cause a fault to show again as the O2 sensors compare 'before' and 'after' the Cat and if they are the same show up a fault code.

I have heard of a 'fix' that basically screws into the O2 sensor hole and spaces the O2 sensor further away from the exhaust gas flow and fools the ECU into thinking that the Cat is still operating. I've seen these things advertised on E-bay etc. and was wondering if they actually work, furthermore if there was a UK supplier.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

I have an extension but never fitted it, you can have it for £7.50 posted. also have a brand genuine new toyota cat [part number 17419-0D040 for £125 posted. Also have a pattern cat for £75 posted used for 3 weeks.

Hi Timson,

Thanks for your post, I would be interested in buying the extension piece, just to see if they work. How would I pay you for it? Do you have a PayPal account? You could invoice me via that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links