Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Air-Con Mysteries (And Compressor!)

AvensisKen

Hi all,

I am driving a 2.0L D4D avensis, ftv-1cd engine.

My aircon was pretty weak for the last few months, just blowing out slightly cooler air. It stopped working completely (I imagine the refrigerant level dropped low enough for the pressure switch to cut the compressor.)

I brought the car to toyota yesterday, and they did an aircon service. No leaks were detected, but the system was totally empty and took the whole 440g of freon. The Air-con was working perfectly and was ice cold on the way home.

This morning was a different story. The car started making grating noises passing 3000RPM. I turned off the A/C and the noise stopped. I got home and had a good look under the bonnet. The "low pressure" lines are frosting over as you would expect, but there is no cold air from the vents. The drive belt is properly attached and tight. I rang toyota, and he said it is definatly a faulty compressor, and quoted a cost of 1200 euro for replacement.

I am a bit hesitant to believe them that it is the compressor when it was working so well yesterday. Does anybody have any other ideas that i can check out? I am not going to pay that price for a new compresor on an 8yr old car, I will just get the by-pass belt if needs be.

I was thinking maybe there was too much oil in the system which took a few hours to make its way back to the compressor and block it up. Toyota said that they did change the oil in the compressor too.

I hope someone can help!

Ken.

How could he tell that it was a faulty compressor over the phone without taking a look at it??? I would take it back and asked them to check/plug in to get a fault code. Sounds like the bearings have gone in them which happened to my VW which are rubber. You could have the unit reconditioned or search for a new one off eBay or breakers yards! http://www.eurocarpa...ca0bd449 http://www.eurocarpa...ca0bd449 Just as a guide...

Have you asked if there is any "Good will" that they could offer you?

He seemed pretty sure it was the compressor! I dont think there is any good-will in my local toyota, they even chrged me 10 euro for gas that wasnt included in the aircon service as the system was empty... cash is tight at the moment so I can't afford to get a replacement compressor pump. I was hoping there was a tiny chance it could be something else!

Describe the noise.

How loud?

Did you switch it off immediately ?

It was not the compressor if it worked after filling. (The compressor may be FKD now)

The mechanic obviously did something to bugger it up. Do not pay money, Do threaten them with county court.

It may just be too much gas though, if liquid gas gets into the intake of the compressor it will make a lot of noise. Catch it in time and there is no harm done.

The noise sounds like a metal on metal grating, like changing gears without the clutch fully depressed but not as loud or violent!

The compressor is obviously still working, as the low pressure pipes are frosting over. Once the car revs hit 3000 it starts to grate, and once i back off the revs it goes away.

Once the A/Cis sitched off there is NO noise, as the compresor is switched off.

Its like the gas is there, being pressurised, but not circulating across the condensor to make the air cold.

The mechanic who did the aircon serviec seems pretty competent. He seems to be the garages main mechanic and he spent almost two hours doing everything. Stil, he may have made a mistake!

Hi all,

I am driving a 2.0L D4D avensis, ftv-1cd engine.

My aircon was pretty weak for the last few months, just blowing out slightly cooler air. It stopped working completely (I imagine the refrigerant level dropped low enough for the pressure switch to cut the compressor.)

I brought the car to toyota yesterday, and they did an aircon service. No leaks were detected, but the system was totally empty and took the whole 440g of freon. The Air-con was working perfectly and was ice cold on the way home.

This morning was a different story. The car started making grating noises passing 3000RPM. I turned off the A/C and the noise stopped. I got home and had a good look under the bonnet. The "low pressure" lines are frosting over as you would expect, but there is no cold air from the vents. The drive belt is properly attached and tight. I rang toyota, and he said it is definatly a faulty compressor, and quoted a cost of 1200 euro for replacement.

I am a bit hesitant to believe them that it is the compressor when it was working so well yesterday. Does anybody have any other ideas that i can check out? I am not going to pay that price for a new compresor on an 8yr old car, I will just get the by-pass belt if needs be.

I was thinking maybe there was too much oil in the system which took a few hours to make its way back to the compressor and block it up. Toyota said that they did change the oil in the compressor too.

I hope someone can help!

Ken.

= = = = = =

hi Ken

The only one thing can block gas circulation is moisture (in air gas) iced after throttle valve.

When passed thru throttle orifice the gas pressure is sharply reduced up to the gas boiling point leading to its temperature decreasing -- this converts moisture into an ice and blocking passing hole for gas. It is understood the pressure increasing creates other problems connected with possible leaks thru compressor or charging connections etc.In case you ve heard abnormal noise -- there might be a definite signal to repair it/ it is normal to repair it but not to change it as whole and new.

my opinion is to have spare 2nd hand compressor as at stand by. Cheers/Igor.

Japanese AC compressors are pretty tough but don't leave it running if its grating. If there is too much gas it will make a blood curdling noise, not unlike grinding gears.

If you have a stethoscope check that the noise is from the compressor and not a valve reverberating round the system.

Also do you have the hot gas pre heater? The switch over valve could have something to do with it if its jammed..... The gas would boil on the wrong side making a lot of noise.