Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Did You Buy A Toyota?

Gods_gift

What about this one then post 32 onwards

I don't feel inclined to feed you. If others want to, that's up to them. :thumbsup:

My first Toyota was my 2005 MR2 Roadster, which apart from bubbling alloys and new roof seals (replaced under warranty) was a really fun car to drive.....still miss it to be honest! Unfortunately, when I moved house, I found that snow and extreme frost would prevent me getting off the estate (not even my Ford Focus could manage it) so I started thinking 4x4. I then got a labrador pup and after 6 months decided it would be nice to have a bigger car with 4x4 to give the dog more space and allow us to go off to nice places for UK hols with the dog.

I wanted something that still had a bit of poke (having mainly driven the MR2), was not too big or expensive and within a year old...so it came down to the SR180 (being the latest 180 model at the time).

BMW X3 looks a bit ugly (and more or less says you couldn't afford the X5....which do nothing for me either)...the X-Trail is un-imaginatively boxy looking...and I'm afraid I am a bit of a snob when it comes to Hyundai and Kia etc (I believe you get what you paid for).

Would fancy an Audi Quattro estate....but now I have bought the missus a new car...is not likely to happen anytime soon.

The Rav4 has been great so far...still love to drive it...and our local Toyota Service dept (i didn't buy either car off them) has always been great with me (even arranging someone to remove the BSRs at a very reasonable price). However, round here, most of the 4.3 Ravs I see are driven by women...so there's always that thought in the back of my mind that it is not macho enough....then again, a lot of X5s seem to driven by women round here too!

What about this one then post 32 onwards, not wishing to get banned again, but its all gone quite on this front, hopefully we can discuss :D

http://www.toyotaown...ic=132721&st=30

As Charlie says, we won't start another engine thread but I've got that oil bulletin now that seemed to excite you quite a lot.

If you are a good little green creature I will post it up for you.

Because it ticked all the right boxes, at the right price, so much so I repeated the exercise and brought another after looking at all and I mean all of the options.

Gus

Charlie, one comment on your German Cars ... You have said that you usually buy nearly new and trade after a year at most, so to be fair, you have not tended to run them in the time that faults are likely to occur. With your typical buying habit, you really should see very little issues on ANY car, I would venture to say.

Two of the A6s I've had in the last 6 to 8 Years did over 60.000 miles in less than 2 Years ... Absolutely no faults whatsoever with either of them......

Sorry but if You are going to try and justify spending Your coin on these cars by slagging German cars You are on a loser !

The Ravs are in a different league to the likes of Q7s And Q5s and its in an inferior one.. But then so they should be .. They are cheap in comparison ..........

What about this one then post 32 onwards, not wishing to get banned again, but its all gone quite on this front, hopefully we can discuss :D

As Charlie says, we won't start another engine thread but I've got that oil bulletin now that seemed to excite you quite a lot.

Mr Anchorman, sir.....he's not in "the click"....should he really get a copy.....?

Aw Tonnymoose.

Charlie, one comment on your German Cars ... You have said that you usually buy nearly new and trade after a year at most, so to be fair, you have not tended to run them in the time that faults are likely to occur. With your typical buying habit, you really should see very little issues on ANY car, I would venture to say.

Two of the A6s I've had in the last 6 to 8 Years did over 60.000 miles in less than 2 Years ... Absolutely no faults whatsoever with either of them......

Sorry but if You are going to try and justify spending Your coin on these cars by slagging German cars You are on a loser !

The Ravs are in a different league to the likes of Q7s And Q5s and its in an inferior one.. But then so they should be .. They are cheap in comparison ..........

Charlie. I am not trying to justify anything and certainly I do not need to justify to YOU or anyone else here how I spend my money.

just making an observation about your buying pattern that you have stated yourself and how that MAY have had an impact on your experiences in terms of longer term reliability. Not everyone is in the fortunate position of being able to trade in 1 to 2 year old cars.

Very true. The RAV is in a different class to the Q7 which is however in the same class as the LC and is nowhere near as competent a vehicle as the Cruiser. The Q5 came about due to the explosion in SUV model ranges over the past 5 or 6 years, a phenomenon that post-dates the RAV insofar as Toyota has only ever marketed two 4x4's, the RAV & the LC.

There isn't a German 4x4 made that can compete with the LC, IMVHO, of course.

Mr Anchorman, sir.....he's not in "the click"....should he really get a copy.....?

Aw Tonnymoose.

What? You mean you were already privy to such information? Who else has seen it? :P

Yes Monsieur Anchorman it would be a pleasure to see such treasures, after all you were the one that got me all excited over it in the 1st place :D

So wish we could discuss the other engine, but we can't have it all can we?... Hope its got the right stuff in it this time :P

The Q5 etc are in a different league, but in my opinion, only on interiors etc. Mechanicaly they are not. I wonder why Audi and BMW still only offer 3 year warrantys? Again, its only my experience, but a friend of mine bought a Q5 at the same time i got my Rav. He had no end of problems with it. Water pump failure at 10k. Front nearside wheel bearing at 12k, split radiator at 15k and a multitude of electrical faults. His dealer was also woeful. I listend to his tales of woe at the pub, and when he finally snapped he bought a Rav and sold the Q5 at a loss. He has never said a bad word about his Rav to me.

A Rav with NO oil. engine, or DMF issues.. :thumbsup: Stew

db_655816_1_11.jpg

• Like 1

Why is it that a thread started to ask why We bought a Toyota has degenerated into yet another slanging match ??

This Forum is going down hill fast..................................

Hoovie.. I am NOT having a pop at Your car.. I was after all going to buy one up to the point where You informed Me about the very poor fuel consumption......

The Rav is a very well built car indeed !! And aside from a few squeaks and rattles ,, The fact that We cannot buy a new car with the ability to carry a spare wheel without compromising the boot space ,, The lack of specification available and the aforementioned very very poor indeed fuel consumption ( SR automatic which is the top spec car and only available as an auto) I would have done just that but fortunately I listened here and did not !

To compare a Rav with a Q5 is not a level playing field either on quality or price .. I think its just another German car bashing opportunity for those wishing they had bought one ...

To compare a Q7 with a Land-cruiser is laughable.

The LC is a great Farmers tool and drives like a tractor in comparison to a Q7 which is not or never was designed to go off road . On the tarmac however it beats the LC in every department. It is a Luxury Chelsea tractor that in terms of drive and ride quality plus drive-ability over distance leaves the LC feeling exactly what it is a LR Defender wanabee....

Hoovie You are way off the mark... I when buying the Rav was not obviously buying a new car ! It was 4 1/2 Years old with 38.000 miles on the clock..

I bought it as a hack.. An all purpose runaround with the ability to tow Skis of wet slipways... A decent sized estate car that I could throw all My gear into.

All the above it has done and a whole lot more.. I leave the Jag on the drive and jump into the Rav 90% of the time which has to say a lot..

But My oh My has this car been grief !!

I said in My post above why I bought a Toyota.... Sadly the legendary reliability has been nothing short of a joke in My case.. And that is both a shame and a fact..

Consider for a moment... Yes I use My car a lot and stack up the miles... Is this the reason its constantly giving grief ?? Could it be that they do not like high miles anymore ?

Matters not to Me .. A 2.2 engine with an automatic gearbox that cannot deliver more than 32 ish MPG is not only not acceptable but is !Removed! laughable !!. I can live without Full leather, A nav unit that still cant take a full UK postcode.. No sunroof. No spare wheel or anywhere to put one.. But if I am to have big luxury car fuel consumption I want a big luxury car .................

You cannot compare a LC with a Q7. They are different purpose vehicles and the LC is tarted up for on road use. Equally the LC is built like a tank of you peel off all the decorations and you will never see a Q7 in a UN convoy or out in the bush/jungle - I suspect it would fall to bits (not to do with quality to do with the reason it was built).

I believe that both BMW and Audi 4WDs would probably out handle a RAV and I suspect but cannot prove that a RAV would behave better in the snow. That is due to tyres, ground clearance, weight and 4WD system but would need to study the mechanics a bit more.

If you want a true off roader you need a bog standard LR. However, I wouldn't want to take one out of a field and onto the road and I can vouch that if you shut your eyes you would have a job to tell whether you were in the field or on the road in the confounded thing. Many bang on about old LR longevity but they have all had new chassis, engines and boxes so they effectively a newer vehicle.

Before you own a 4WD you have to decide what you want to do with it. Charlie has had some bad luck but for the rest of us we have a very dependable and surprisingly capable soft roader.

Why is it that a thread started to ask why We bought a Toyota has degenerated into yet another slanging match ?? This Forum is going down hill fast..................................

You could be right `wee man` :lol:

You cannot compare a LC with a Q7. They are different purpose vehicles and the LC is tarted up for on road use. Equally the LC is built like a tank of you peel off all the decorations and you will never see a Q7 in a UN convoy or out in the bush/jungle - I suspect it would fall to bits (not to do with quality to do with the reason it was built).

I believe that both BMW and Audi 4WDs would probably out handle a RAV and I suspect but cannot prove that a RAV would behave better in the snow. That is due to tyres, ground clearance, weight and 4WD system but would need to study the mechanics a bit more.

If you want a true off roader you need a bog standard LR. However, I wouldn't want to take one out of a field and onto the road and I can vouch that if you shut your eyes you would have a job to tell whether you were in the field or on the road in the confounded thing. Many bang on about old LR longevity but they have all had new chassis, engines and boxes so they effectively a newer vehicle.

Before you own a 4WD you have to decide what you want to do with it. Charlie has had some bad luck but for the rest of us we have a very dependable and surprisingly capable soft roader.

My sentiments exacly.. Well almost ...

But Don explain one thing ? Why is the Automatic 2.2 Rav so flipping thirsty ??

Comparison...

My XF..

V6 3.0 Diesel Automatic conventional 6 speed.. 315 BHP heavy car without a doubt.. Round town 38 MPG on motorway 42MPG

Rav 4 2,2 4 cylinder SR Automatic conventional 6 speed . 150 BHP...Hoovies average 31 MPG

It simply doesn't add up ? Is it because the Ravs injection or mechanicals are old school or out of date ??

I had a Mondeo 2.2 4 cylinder diesel manual ( 2009 ) that would easily achieve 38 ish round town and 45 on the run..

I appreciate that no car will achieve the silly figures that are published but come on 30 to 33 is way off ??

As the Aussies say, "if you want to go into the outback, take a Land Rover; if you want to come back again take a Toyota".

Anyone who equates an LC with a tractor has clearly never been in either. And as for dragging the level of debate down by slagging off one nation's cars vs another's, there are some of us on here who seem to be a bit precious about a certain German marque :lol: .

At the end of the day evetyone has their own prejudices, some based on expereience & some not. The thread certainly has gone off track from the original "why did you buy a Toyota?" but that's the problem with discussions, they don't follow rules but go where the contributions lead.

What about this one then post 32 onwards

I don't feel inclined to feed you. If others want to, that's up to them. :thumbsup:

Thats a shame, I`m sure me and others on this forum would like to have heard about your engines oil consumptionbigear.gif, being a 2010 model, and apparently immune to this oil burning problem??

But thats entirely up to you and I respect your right to silencewhoosh.gif

Maybe all that swimming you`ve been doing in cold waters has made your goolies shrink :P :unsure: :( :eek::thumbsup:

Thats a shame, I`m sure me and others on this forum would like to have heard about your engines oil consumptionbigear.gif, being a 2010 model, and apparently immune to this oil burning problem??

The nonexistent illiteracy "CLICK" can have the info anytime they want, but I suspect they would rather sit in a bath of iodine hacking one of their major limbs off with a small penknife, while eating their own vomit, than prolong the topic.

Maybe all that swimming you`ve been doing in cold waters has made your goolies shrink :P :unsure: :( :eek::thumbsup:

Perhaps it has, but if it raises money for a good cause, then I can live with it. Talking of which Jedi, which one are you on the list of names of sponsors I have access to?

I'll tell you what, as some would consider that comment offensive and worthy of a forum ban here's the deal:

Make a significant donation to my sponsorship effort (and perhaps I should let other members suggest what is a "significant" amount?) and I'll let you know all about 2010 models and oil at the risk of everybody else chewing off their own foot through boredom.

Come on, put your money where your mouth is. If the two really do match, I'm expecting you to be loaded and able to afford a tidy sum :thumbsup:

Absolutely cracking response Shcm. One finds the little man a wee bit boring these days

Regards Clare

I wanted a comfortable, reliable 4x4 which was not too big.

I used to be "in the trade" so have had the advantage of driving many different makes of car at someone else's expense! - I have had several Toyotas which I find near perfection and am very lucky to have an exceptional dealer in Minories Durham (No, I have never worked for them). - The dealership is a major factor in my opinion.

I found they had a RAV4 Valvematic 2.0 CVT in stock with full leather (for ease of getting in & out as I am disabled) and it had only done 8,000 miles. The car is exceptional and I geat great mpg for a petrol automatic..... 35 - 36 mpg with alot of town work..... my wife is lighter footed and gets an incredible 41 mpg.

A friend has recently spent £40k+ on an Evoque and apart from looking rather strange, there is not enough headroom for me and far less practical.

The only downside of the RAV is the side-hinged rear door which Toyota will hopefully change in the next M.Y.

They lose alot of caravan fanatics because you cannot open the tailgate fully while hitched up.

• Like 1

I used to be "in the trade" so have had the advantage of driving many different makes of car at someone else's expense! - I have had several Toyotas which I find near perfection and am very lucky to have an exceptional dealer in Minories Durham (No, I have never worked for them). - The dealership is a major factor in my opinion.

I found they had a RAV4 Valvematic 2.0 CVT in stock with full leather (for ease of getting in & out as I am disabled) and it had only done 8,000 miles. The car is exceptional and I geat great mpg for a petrol automatic..... 35 - 36 mpg with alot of town work..... my wife is lighter footed and gets an incredible 41 mpg.

A friend has recently spent £40k+ on an Evoque and apart from looking rather strange, there is not enough headroom for me and far less practical.

The only downside of the RAV is the side-hinged rear door which Toyota will hopefully change in the next M.Y.

They lose alot of caravan fanatics because you cannot open the tailgate fully while hitched up.

Your MPG is fantastic !! That combined with unleaded being cheaper the diesel and none of the issues means for once a petrol makes more sense...

No one seems able or inclined to answer My question as to why the diesel Automatic is so greedy ???????????

You need a rear door extended check strap,allows rear door to open to 90 degrees.

A few of us here have made this modification,very simple,takes about an hour to fit.

The nonexistent illiteracy "CLICK" can have the info anytime they want, but I suspect they would rather sit in a bath of iodine hacking one of their major limbs off with a small penknife, while eating their own vomit, than prolong the topic.

Maybe thats is true of the ones that are already privy to such information, why not be a good forum member an share your experiences :angel:

Perhaps it has, but if it raises money for a good cause, then I can live with it. Talking of which Jedi, which one are you on the list of names of sponsors I have access to?

I'll tell you what, as some would consider that comment offensive and worthy of a forum ban here's the deal:

Are you trying to get me banned again? :o You were one of the main instigators of my ban last time, you and your band of sheep, off you went bleeting to the forum

moderator,pressurising him into action because you cannot handle a difference of opinion :argue: .....shame on you, Barrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

sheep.gif

I think your Charity work is great mate!!!

smashie-and-nicey1.jpg

Make a significant donation to my sponsorship effort (and perhaps I should let other members suggest what is a "significant" amount?) and I'll let you know all about 2010 models and oil at the risk of everybody else chewing off their own foot through boredom.

Come on, put your money where your mouth is. If the two really do match, I'm expecting you to be loaded and able to afford a tidy sum :thumbsup:

I`d love to donate to your worthy cause, but I already donate what little I have to my own charities, and have my own to look after...... :wheelchair: maybe when I win the lotto :D

I tell you what though, as a token of my good will, I will send you something Spiritualy via the Force, please let me know when you recieve it :D

Are you trying to get me banned again? :o

You don't need my help for that, you're doing nicely all by yourself.

You were one of the main instigators of my ban last time, you and your band of sheep, off you went bleeting to the forum moderator,pressurising him into action because you cannot handle a difference of opinion

Er nope, I've never made a formal complaint to a moderator. I probably have grounds to based on your earlier insult and your accusation above, as the moderators have previously stated things should not get personal and you have again.

And still I'm not complaining formally about you, because I don't want to put the moderators in a difficult position.

I think you are on thin ice and not doing yourself any favours.

However, I'm now doing something I said I wouldn't do and feeding you. I have my right to reply to the above, but as far as I am concerned that is the end of it.

I hope you can do the same - draw a line under it and move on. We shall see.