Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Needed For Front Speakers.

rajivrattna

Hi,

our 2008 Aygo plus has two dash Speakers, two A- pillar tweeters, and two front door Speakers but I am not happy with the sound. I was thinking of using a Hertz ECX 100 (a coaxial speaker) that I happen to have from my another car project lying around, to replace my two dash Speakers. I do not plan to replace the head unit since it is my wife's car and there the aesthetics is more important than the function. Changing speakers does not disturb that. Now my question is,

(1) will the coaxial be a overkill as far as the high frequency go because I have a pair of tweeter allready. Besides I noticed that the front dash speaker wires had a bundle of something like a capacitor attached to it (to filter out high frequency?). I could connect the ECX 100 proximal to the capacitor to retain the high frequency response from the ECX 100. If I do that should I disconnect the original tweeter to avoid two sets of high frequency output?

(2) I also noticed that the ECX 100 are rather bulky and strike against the wall of the speaker hole in the dash and are difficult to seat optimally. Has any one else had similar problem with ECX 100? Should I ditch the ECX 100 alltogether and go for the next solution below?

(3) I also have incidentally two cheap Philips 4" speakers (better than the Aygo's, with bigger magnet) that I removed from my BMW and use those instead for front dash speakers, attaching it in the same way as the original Aygo speakers, retaining the original tweeter function from the A-pillar tweeters? I am leaning towards the last option to avoid double high frequency output with the Hertz ECX 100 speakers, but on the other hand the Hertz are by far the best speakers!

Please help with your suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Raj..

Just to follow up on my own thread; I was forced to change to Hertz ECX 100 instead of the BMW Speakers that I had initially planned. The BMW ones had a wide rim that made it impossible to fit. The Hertz sound very, very good. They have the clarity and the base to die for. They are much better than I expected. I just went in to the radio's equilizer and toned the treble down to zero since I now have two sources of treble, the Hertz and the original treble Speakers on the A pillar. It did the trick. For all those who do not have the treble speaker, the Hertz co-axial would be the answer. I am so glad with the result.

How did you deal with point 2 in your original post?

How did you deal with point 2 in your original post?

A little bit more force was all that was required. What is really important when using bulky magnet Speakers is to rotate them to check for best fit before cutting off the ears so that there is enough room for the speaker contact pins. Not all directions have that room. On the driver's side (left side in Sweden) the contacts are facing towards the right but on the passenger side the contacts are facing towards the front. It is that tight! But the effort was worth it as far as the sound goes.

Interesting. Posts elsewhere suggest that the max depth available is about 40mm and my own measurement confirmed that. The specs for the ECX 100 give the mounting depth as 46mm :ermm: .

I wonder if the LHD models have more space ...

The depth was not a ptroblem at all. It was the non uniform diameter of the hole and a white plastic thingy jutting in to the space from the front part of the hole that was the problem. The plastic thingy is a cover for a bolt that screws the dash board to the chasis and unfortunately the plastic bit is as long as the metal bolt under it, so removing the plastic thing does not help. Due to the un uniform diameter, you will have to rotate the speaker to find the best fit position. I think the Hertz ECX 100 speaker diameter/thickness was the maximum that you could put in that place (and that too with some pushing!). Here is a picture of that hole and the plastic bit jutting in, borrowed from another website (3rd 4th and 5th picture).

http://my107.blogspot.se/2006/12/installing-front-speakers.html