Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Getting Harder And Harder To Start

Janine1

It has been more and more difficult to start my 60 plate 1 1/2 year old Yaris lately. In the past, once I turn the ignition key all the way, the engine starts immediately. Now, I have to turn it and keep it there, and I could hear that something is turning (the cranking?) for around 7 seconds or more before the engine finally comes to life. Also, when it starts the engine sounds almost as if it is choking, definitely sounding with much less vigor. The issue started around a month ago. I use the car once or twice a week, mostly for supermarket runs. I had suspected that the Battery is the problem, which happens when you don't use the car enough. However, I used the car yesterday morning, and when using it again during the evening it took a long time to start. I used the car again this afternoon and it was the same issue. So it's not like I have not been switching on the car frequently enough.

To give you more info it's a 1.33 L Petrol MMT 60 plate Yaris, so when starting the car the brake pedal is depressed. Around three months after I got the (new) car there was a loose wiring issue that caused the car to not start or switch off while driving, but was repaired under the warranty. The only incident so far is 2 months ago when the car hit kerb due to black ice, and the wheel was off align by 3 degrees (fixed in the same day at a Toyota dealer).

Any one can tell me why is the car getting harder and harder to start?

It could be any number of things - take it back to the dealer and leave it with them overnight. That way they can investigate on a cold engine. They should look at this under warranty as well

It could be any number of things - take it back to the dealer and leave it with them overnight. That way they can investigate on a cold engine. They should look at this under warranty as well

Fully agree with the above, 18 months old, straight to the dealer it is still under warranty.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks, I will do so. I'm mildly frustrated about the reliability of the car because it had issues like squeaky brakes about 6 months ago as well, on top of the loose wiring issue that I mentioned above, and now we have this engine starting problem.

Hi Janine1

I'm just guessing here but are your trips out in the Yaris fairly short i.e. a couple of miles or so? If so then your problem may be down to 'wet' plug syndrome, try this cure, make sure the engine is fully warmed up by going on a longer faster journey (preferably motorway) this should then eliminate the problem.

If your trips are not so short then my apologies and please disregard the above advice.

Hi Janine1

I'm just guessing here but are your trips out in the Yaris fairly short i.e. a couple of miles or so? If so then your problem may be down to 'wet' plug syndrome, try this cure, make sure the engine is fully warmed up by going on a longer faster journey (preferably motorway) this should then eliminate the problem.

If your trips are not so short then my apologies and please disregard the above advice.

This is good advice. The 1.33 is very pone to fouling it's thin tipped plugs. Short trips once or twice a week will do them no good at all. Irdium plugs need to be run at a full engine temp for at least 15 mins (not including warm up)

Sorry to hijack i have had 2 yaris t-sports brill cars but just doing short runs won't do your car any favours

As stated above you need to give it a blast on a long run to clear your fuel lines and injectors and also your Battery

a stronger charge i use (redex) in all the cars i have owned, hope this helps :o

Erk, I thought it was only the D4Ds which got into trouble when only used on short journeys! :unsure:

All infernal combustion engines benefit from a run at full operating temperature. As well as 'cleaning' the top end getting the oil good and hot will boil out the water that condenses in it.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been more and more difficult to start my 60 plate 1 1/2 year old Yaris lately. In the past, once I turn the ignition key all the way, the engine starts immediately. Now, I have to turn it and keep it there, and I could hear that something is turning (the cranking?) for around 7 seconds or more before the engine finally comes to life. Also, when it starts the engine sounds almost as if it is choking, definitely sounding with much less vigor. The issue started around a month ago. I use the car once or twice a week, mostly for supermarket runs. I had suspected that the battery is the problem, which happens when you don't use the car enough. However, I used the car yesterday morning, and when using it again during the evening it took a long time to start. I used the car again this afternoon and it was the same issue. So it's not like I have not been switching on the car frequently enough.

To give you more info it's a 1.33 L Petrol MMT 60 plate Yaris, so when starting the car the brake pedal is depressed. Around three months after I got the (new) car there was a loose wiring issue that caused the car to not start or switch off while driving, but was repaired under the warranty. The only incident so far is 2 months ago when the car hit kerb due to black ice, and the wheel was off align by 3 degrees (fixed in the same day at a Toyota dealer).

Any one can tell me why is the car getting harder and harder to start?

Did you manage to get to the root of your problem?

My nana had issues with her car firing up. R reg Starlet was sometimes having trouble starting which I traced to her pressing the accelerator a little on start-up, flooding the engine. I was once advised to do this practice but there is no need, the car's ECU looks after it unaided. Just wondering if that may be what's been happening here also?

My dad's car has been having issues with oil leaks due to it not getting enough running. He only really drives it around the doors so it can't boil away the condensation in the oil system. That then blocks the breather pipes and oil leaks over the engine. I always ensure my Yaris gets plenty of good running so I usually refuse family favours of driving them around the block etc, as a result it runs like a dream

• 2 weeks later...

Did you manage to get to the root of your problem?

No. I took it to the dealer two weeks ago and they replaced the Battery. However, three days later the car took 27 seconds to start, and I called them up again. Went to the dealer again last Thursday, but they couldn't find any issue, hence it was arranged that I drop the car off today (Thursday) so they could have a cold start tomorrow. For the moment I have the new 61 plate Yaris as a courtesy car, which has CVT transmission and reverse parking camera! More sporty and settles better as well.

Hi Janine1

Yes, most of my trips are short and the problem happens only on cold starts with the cold engine indicator. But the problem does occur after long trips. This last Sunday and Monday I drove 200 miles x 2 = 400 miles on long motorway trip. Whatever condensation should be cleared. Today I started the car and as usual somewhat lethargic. Turned it off, and then restarted it again (just to check), and it took a whopping 30 seconds for the engine to fire up. Sometimes for work I need to drive 25 miles x 2 = 50 miles and the cold starts are equally lethargic a day later. It shouldn't be so weak.