Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'standard' Tyre Size Options For Rav 4.3

Tony Barnsley

Just as it says, 'Standard' Rav 4.3 X-TR ( '07 ) with 17" alloys, currently fitted with Yoko Geolanders I've seen 2 Possible tyre sizes (possibly three) quoted for these rims, which is 'Standard'?

215 60 R17

235 60 R17

and

225 55 R17

I suppose I could wait until tomorrow and wade through the owners manual to find out but you guys are really helpful, and most of you are driving Rav's daily so know what works best.

Cheers

Tony

Just as it says, 'Standard' Rav 4.3 X-TR ( '07 ) with 17" Alloys, currently fitted with Yoko Geolanders I've seen 2 Possible tyre sizes (possibly three) quoted for these rims, which is 'Standard'?

215 60 R17

235 60 R17

and

225 55 R17

I suppose I could wait until tomorrow and wade through the owners manual to find out but you guys are really helpful, and most of you are driving Rav's daily so know what works best.

Cheers

Tony

So you have done the deed then, Tony :thumbsup:

Ref tyre size, I don't know about the 07 RAV4.3, but the current RAV4 XT-R with 17" wheels has none of those tyre sizes you quoted (maybe a change in model years of course, but usually the tyre sizes seem pretty static for the life of a car?)

Anyways- the 2011 XT-R has 225/65 R17.

Wife's Rav 4 (4.2.....2004....."Granite" Special Edition) came with 235 / 55 / 17 tyres, Tony, so there's another wee confusion fur ye (sorry "for you"....). I almost immediately changed full set of incredibly noisy Pirelli Scorpions to much quieter Bridgestone Turanzas with a 60 profile to help with the potholed roads.

Let it be known I changed to the Bridgestones just before I REALLY found out what Bridgestone and Toyota had been up to on those tyres you can drive on when flat.....relax, had the High Horse put down last week....it was suffering from Thistemper......

Big Kev

so there's another wee confusion fur ye (sorry "for you"....).

Dinna Fash Yersel Big K, I've Scottish rellies so kin translate nae problem!!

Looks as though I'm gonna have to wait until I get my sticky sweaty mitts on the vehicle tomoz, I do know it's got Geolanders on ATM . . .Just trying to get prepared

Just as it says, 'Standard' Rav 4.3 X-TR ( '07 ) with 17" Alloys, currently fitted with Yoko Geolanders I've seen 2 Possible tyre sizes (possibly three) quoted for these rims, which is 'Standard'? 215 60 R17 235 60 R17 and 225 55 R17 I suppose I could wait until tomorrow and wade through the owners manual to find out but you guys are really helpful, and most of you are driving Rav's daily so know what works best. Cheers Tony

Your OEM tyres should be 225/65 R17

Dinna Fash Yersel Big K, I've Scottish rellies so kin translate nae problem!! Looks as though I'm gonna have to wait until I get my sticky sweaty mitts on the vehicle tomoz, I do know it's got Geolanders on ATM . . .Just trying to get prepared

.....and lang may yer lum reek whilst in possession of yon Rav....(for those WAY down South, "may good health and prosperity be yours whilst in ownership of the afivementioned vehicle".)

Robert Charles Nesbitt

Dinna Fash Yersel Big K, I've Scottish rellies so kin translate nae problem!! Looks as though I'm gonna have to wait until I get my sticky sweaty mitts on the vehicle tomoz, I do know it's got Geolanders on ATM . . .Just trying to get prepared

.....and lang may yer lum reek whilst in possession of yon Rav....(for those WAY down South, "may good health and prosperity be yours whilst in ownership of the afivementioned vehicle".)

Robert Charles Nesbitt

Mr Kevin, I say, that is a most spiffing sentiment.

Hoovie ( an Englishman doing missionary work north of the border)

Uncle Rab, please shed some light for a simple Manxgirl ( not literaly) If Tatteam has quoted 225/65/17 tyres for the Rav do you have to stick to that size of tyre? Tony has quoted various other sizes so will they not fit as well?

I,m having this prob with my U/C 195/60/16 is supposed to be the OEM size but they are so limited in choice so can you not put another size of tyre on as long as it,s either 17,s in Tony,s case or 16,s as in my case?

Regards Mary Doll (Clare)

Uncle Rab, please shed some light for a simple Manxgirl ( not literaly) If Tatteam has quoted 225/65/17 tyres for the Rav do you have to stick to that size of tyre? Tony has quoted various other sizes so will they not fit as well?

I,m having this prob with my U/C 195/60/16 is supposed to be the OEM size but they are so limited in choice so can you not put another size of tyre on as long as it,s either 17,s in Tony,s case or 16,s as in my case?

Regards Mary Doll (Clare)

Would really need the input of one more experienced than me Clare, such as tyre man Marsky as I have named him, but I am sure you could safely fit 205's to your alloys and reduce the profile to 55 if it widens the choice and price ranges, but I know you will check first.

Come in all you rubber lovers.....steady now.....

Big Kev....just typed 205.55.16 into fleabay.....there are grillions, so hope I am right Clare.

Hi Clare,

I always use this handy calculator on a Miata forum,

So using Hoovie's guide, your speedo would be showing a variation of minus 1.3% Clare, which surely must be negligible....?

Big Kev

Cheers for that Kev and Hoovie, there is a lot more choice for that new size. One question that has just struck me, can I put the original 195/60/16 on the front and the 205/55/16 on the back does this complicate the situation?

Regards Clare

are you talking about the new Petrol UC or the Diesel AWD UC Clare?

I think for a FWD car, you can probably run different sized tyres without any complications.

On a Full-Time 4WD drive (such as the RAV4.2) you were always advised to keep the rolling diameters the same to front and rear, IRRC.

For a Part-Time 4WD like one of your UCs, I don't know whether that is a requirement or not - could be some clever sensors checking rotational differences, but those two sizes are so close I can't imagine there would be an issue (just my opinion, not based on any professional knowledge, hasten to add :) )

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Just as it says, 'Standard' Rav 4.3 X-TR ( '07 ) with 17" Alloys, currently fitted with Yoko Geolanders I've seen 2 Possible tyre sizes (possibly three) quoted for these rims, which is 'Standard'?

215 60 R17

235 60 R17

and

225 55 R17

Cheers

Tony

Got a 57 plate xtr. It has;

225/65R17

Yokohama geolandar G91

101H

Those were what it had from new so I replaced them last year with the exact same.

Dave

Cheers for that Kev and Hoovie, there is a lot more choice for that new size. One question that has just struck me, can I put the original 195/60/16 on the front and the 205/55/16 on the back does this complicate the situation?

Regards Clare

....and apart from Hoovie's usual sense Clare....what size spare wheel / tyre would you carry....? Worst case scenario would be having slightly different diameters on the one axle methinks.....?

Big Kev

Kev, no spare wheel with AWD diesel version ( tin of Gunk). There is a spare in the petrol version.

Regards Clare

I was in my local dealer today - the excellent RRG at Macclesfield. They had a new XTR with Touch and............

17" grey alloy wheels. Just the same as the old XTs but grey! Still got Geolanders which I found rather quieter then Duellers.

Hoovie - the grill was grey and chrome. Is that the same as yours?

I was in my local dealer today - the excellent RRG at Macclesfield. They had a new XTR with Touch and............

17" grey alloy wheels. Just the same as the old XTs but grey! Still got Geolanders which I found rather quieter then Duellers.

Hoovie - the grill was grey and chrome. Is that the same as yours?

Yup, I would say it was like a metallic grey with chrome accents (or the other way round)

Did you see the Touch in use? i have no doubt it is more capable, but it looks like an add-on the way it sits in the dash.

are you getting tempted by the new style and the grill is growing on you? :D

Dave/Hoovie

I was there to collect a part and the Dealer Manager gave me a brew. I could see it over in the showroom so had a wander. They offered me an XTR with 4k off in November to stop me buying mine up in Stockton but I wanted the keyless entry. Anyway, it was going to cost me another 4k on top of the 4k I lost so it made my decision when I found mine with 6k on it.

So today while I'm looking at the Touch and go thingy with the grey wheels and the keyless entry, I was wondering how I could rig a bed up in it because there is no doubt I would be sleeping in it if I blow another 4k now.

On topic? Grey wheels and 17" tyres on the new XTR - lovely!!!

Been to see my tyre man today, and he says that you can put 205/55/16,s on the back wheels and the 195/60/16,s on the front, but not the other way around. Something to do with forward motion of the car. Which is OK because the new ones should always go on the back anyway.

Hopefully problem solved, now I have to find the Dosh for 2 new tyres!!!!!

Regards Skint Clare