Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 D4D Power Loss Under 2K Revs - Egr Clean ?

johncc

Hi, looking for a bit of advice before I wield the spanners.

2005 D4D at 90k miles, mpg dropped to low 40s from low 50s, power very poor until a sudden kick-in at just over 2k revs.

Has had normal service items changed (air, fuel filters etc) plus the old italian tune up, to no effect.

Should I take a look at the egr valve, or could it be a sensor issue ?

Thanks

Hi, looking for a bit of advice before I wield the spanners.

2005 D4D at 90k miles, mpg dropped to low 40s from low 50s, power very poor until a sudden kick-in at just over 2k revs.

Has had normal service items changed (air, fuel filters etc) plus the old italian tune up, to no effect.

Should I take a look at the egr valve, or could it be a sensor issue ?

Thanks

= = = = = = =

hi matey

open the EGR lid and inspect content -- if it is sooty then have it leaned reaching all gas holes clear.

are turbo vanes flexible ? At the same time clean MAF sensor, as well. Your report and trials results are required for members.

Cheers / Igor

Thanks for input

EGR is a bit hidden, not the one at the front of the engine hence have not removed yet.

Will try and take it off this weekend and clean.

Had not considered the MAF - will search around on the forum about this - ta.

Cleaned the MAF yesterday - never thought a £3.99 spray would have such a big impact ! Power at low revs is back ,early days for mpg but will probably clen the egr anyway this weekend

Thanks for inputs.

Cleaned the MAF yesterday - never thought a £3.99 spray would have such a big impact ! Power at low revs is back ,early days for mpg but will probably clen the egr anyway this weekend

Thanks for inputs.

It's nice when something so simple works and cleaning the EGR will top it off all for less than a tenner!

regards Pete.

Yep, your local Mr T would have been a whole lot more..................

Thanks for inputs.

= = = = =

ok have a good motoring matey

regards / Igor

Well, cleaned the EGR today, didn't look too bad, coating on the casing, nothing blocked or even near, but looked nicer once I'd finished.

Will report back on the mpg in a week or so once I get some miles on the clock with the two changes

Thanks to all who posted on this and others - the pictures are particualry helpful when doing a job for the first time

Sorry to butt in on this topic but my problem appears to be the same. The TRC, VSC and engine management came on last night on my 2008 D4D. And then today there is a massive loss of power with the turbo kicking in very hard a lot later than normal. I'm taking it to my mechanic 2moro to check the codes and all. From checking the forum here, it sounds like the EGR.

However, from looking at other discussions around this, there is mention of the extended warranty on the D4D engine. Does anybody know if this also applies in Ireland? it would be nice to know if anybody has experienced it here in Ireland just in case I'm up the creek. Thanks.

The warranty is also covered in Ireland afaik! take a search on here as there was a thread about weather or not they were covered their...

Thanks for that, Mistermena. It looks i'm ok if its needed. However. my mechanic just rang to say it was the EGR needed cleaning. All OK now.

Good to hear mate. The EGR valve clean is an easy diy job. If you have further problems like oil use or head gasket issues! I'd be taking the car to the main dealer to have a look at it under the 112k 7 year extended warrant thats in place for EGR valve/oil and HG problems. Looks like the warranty is gonna be withdrawn in the next 2-3 months! So make use while you still can... I take it that you are aware of the TSB thats been posted on the forum about these issues?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links