Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Bulletin

anchorman

Where's the rest of it? Surely there's more to it then that?

No text to explain what's its all for? Is this just a snipet of the TSB?

Where's the Toyota header, TSB numbers etc?

Is there more to come? :lol:

This don't look like a Full TSB to me?

All it says is ;

Note 1. Factory fill oils are preferred for servicing with Optimal Drive Engines.

Note 2. For petrol Optimal Drive vehicles with stop/start tecnology, 0W/20 TGMO is recommended for service fills.

Why are the notes not on the pdf file? Did you recive it in the format you posted?

It just looks like that table you posted was selected and copied from the original TSB?

Your sure there was no other text with this, explaining why they are now using these oils?

Was this TSB dated Aug 2009

Is there a TSB number for this? There should be?

Many thanks Don for posting this up for us :)

Why are the notes not on the pdf file? Did you recive it in the format you posted?

It just looks like that table you posted was selected and copied from the original TSB?

Your sure there was no other text with this, explaining why they are now using these oils?

Was this TSB dated Aug 2009

Is there a TSB number for this? There should be?

Its not a TSB its an information leaflet. It was sent to me in 2 parts because it didn't fit on one scan. It merely advises the dealers which of their 2 (freeley available in the aftermarket) oils they can use when servicing cars. The main reason it is there is to tell them to use the special oils for newer Optimal Drive engined vehicles.

Has your oil paranioa kicked in Jedi? Don't worry you are not being kept in the dark about a sinister footnote that advises the dealer to use thick oil to avoid engine damage.

No dates, no TSB just an advisory leaflet.

Dispite what you think, modern engines should run on the lowest viscosity oil available. Oils with a 0 reference are commonplace these days grandad.

If I had that many bloody questions to ask, i would get off my semi literate fat sphinctus and go ask them of Toyota myself.

SHOULD THE FOREGOING GET ME BANNED, THEN SO BE IT....I WILL NEITHER COMPLAIN ABOUT IT NOR REFER BACK TO IT IN SOME KIND OF SYMPATHY KICK. This is not "banter"....this is confrontation as opposed to co-operation.

CLICK. CLICK CLICK.

One thing I do admire about the Scots. They have the happy knack of stating what many may think, clearly and succinctly.

Jedi

It is not a TSB, it is merely a list of oils to use in Toyota vehicles

Anchs

I beat you to it by about 3 months :lol: I posted it up and asked for it to be pinned, only because I was fed up of seeing the "What oil goes in my car" type of thread

Kingo :thumbsup:

If I had that many bloody questions to ask, i would get off my semi literate fat sphinctus and go ask them of Toyota myself.

SHOULD THE FOREGOING GET ME BANNED, THEN SO BE IT....I WILL NEITHER COMPLAIN ABOUT IT NOR REFER BACK TO IT IN SOME KIND OF SYMPATHY KICK. This is not "banter"....this is confrontation as opposed to co-operation.

CLICK. CLICK CLICK.

One thing I do admire about the Scots. They have the happy knack of stating what many may think, clearly and succinctly.

Yep, but why all the typing when 3 letters are sufficient ? Said member is a FUD, unsure of the meaning ? check out urban dictionary.com.

Dave (probably now banished to the Urban Cruiser Forum)

@ Anchs: O well thats a huge anti climax for me then.. :crybaby: you got me all excited by making me think it was an oil TSB :D My oil/something a miss, radar was going off the scale :wacko: ....Just I seen something on a Russia Rav forum, in TSB style like dated Aug 2009 about the introduction of these new PFE and FE oils, I will try and get hold of it again........I do understand that new engines now require these 0W oils but im still sceptical..........

Thanks for posting anyway Cheers.

@Kev: Its a good job I cannot understand Scottish otherwise I would see your comment as an insult and have to go running off to the forum moderator, :argue: , demanding he ban you :P .......I would love to ask Toyota but doubt I`d get a straight answer :D and its Clique apparently?????????

@SHCM: Hopefully you have found warmer waters, and may now be willing to post your findings on your engines oil consumption, purley for the interest of the forum, you did say you would??? Anchs has clearly got got the nads to post up, why not follow in his wake :P Barrrrrr!!!!

@ Kingo: you are the man, this should have been pinned ages ago, it would have shut me up :!Removed!:

@ DavM: I`m only a FUD at weekends, you should know this by now :wub:...and yes that would be a straight Red card in the UC forum, we are so lucky this one is a bit more relaxed :) was this the 3 legged one you was refering too?

Right off to lick my wounds............. :thumbsup:

Many thanks to a fellow member who explained how to put this person in perspective AND on "ignore all" list.....sorry if any of the foregoing has caused confusion by being in Queen's English (capital "E" mandatory....) and properly spelled.

Big Cev :thumbsup:

Can I ask that we draw a line in the sand with this tension.

Jedi. Not one, and I mean one more word about running to mods or clicks/cliques - INCREDIBLY THIN ICE.

LET'S JUST GET ON AND HAVE A HAPPY FORUM PLEASE.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

This was my oil after an overnight stand - smack on the top mark. Its done less mileage than I originally thought but has now done about 1400 miles since being changed.

I think I have wasted more oil wiping the dipstick clean than it has burned. This is Morris's 5W/30 semi synthetic and you can see it's still quite clean;

IMG_0566.jpg

Don,

quick question if I may re dipsticks ...

When I checked my oil last week, it was about halfway between the two marks and I think you indicated that would represent about 300mL.

I bought some oil (Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 if anyone is interested) at the weekend and before I went to add some, checked the oil again and it was spot on the high mark (engine had been busy that day also) so didn't add any of course.

I just checked it now parked - in the same position as the halfway reading time - and the oil is again still on the high mark (Engine has been running a little today. very VERY little driving though.)

If the car is standing for a number of days, heading down a very slight gradient, would that explain my half-way reading? or was it maybe I did not push the stick all the way home? (I do do 3 readings each time I check though).

Also to note..... 3,500 miles since service and it does look like not a drop has been consumed :thumbsup: (though it is deffo not as clean as yours, Don! )

"I think I have wasted more oil wiping the dipstick clean than it has burned"

LOL

This could be a new way to save the oil reserves of the world.

Do'nt wipe your dipstick,dipsticks.

Hows that for a punchy slogan for the Greens?

Del

Jedi. Not one, and I mean one more word about running to mods or clicks/cliques - INCREDIBLY THIN ICE.

Blimmey!!! cant wait for winter again... I may stand a better chance.... Im not bothered about being labled as banned.......I just dont want to get banned as I love this forum...I only mean harmless banter....its what Im used to.......This forum is tame compared to some I go on.............I keep getting it wrong on here????

Can I ask when you changed your oil( what K) and was it still that colour? Thats a super colour to have your oil, espesially on a diesel...whats your secret?

what are your oil change intervals, was the oil black when you bought the car?

what are your driving habits.....mostly town/ motorway?

Blimmey!!! cant wait for winter again... I may stand a better chance.... Im not bothered about being labled as banned.......I just dont want to get banned as I love this forum...I only mean harmless banter....its what Im used to.......This forum is tame compared to some I go on.............I keep getting it wrong on here????

DROP IT

Can I ask when you changed your oil( what K) and was it still that colour? Thats a super colour to have your oil, espesially on a diesel...whats your secret?

The oil was changed at 6665 miles and it got me out of the house on 27th December.

I just changed mine at 8K and it stank of soot (hence EGR blanking mod)......I ususaly do 5k intervals, but having fully synth in there, I thought it would do better....NOPE dirty black sooty smelling oil..........I might just run some cheap stuff through it just to clean the soot out.....will see how this EGR beer can mod does :D

First, let me apologise to the majority of sane members for this post, but hopefully, it will put this one "to bed". Probably not :rolleyes:

I suggest if there are any sharp objects near by you move them out of reach and also a warning (to para-phrase the late, great Douglas Adams), in a desparate bid to save humanity, your major intestine may jump up through your neck and throttle your brain.

why not follow in his wake :P Barrrrrr!!!!

OK.

SHCM mention his oil consumption as 0.5 L per 1700 miles this equates to 3L in 10,250 miles. I said that's not brillient, you agreed and said its not brillient also..then there was a mention of using clingy fully synth oil. And maybe a semi synth would be tried next........you said all new models have the problems sorted?

It was Shell Helix Ultra Extra. Datasheet below:

Shell-Helix-Ultra-Extra-5w-30-TDS.pdf

All fully synthetics and semi`s are not the same...........anything with A1/B1 I would not trust in this engine,,A5/B5 is dubious???

C2 and C3 spec seem to be ok.....from what people are saying on the forums

Oh dear, that was an oil passing the C2/C3 requirements. C2 is approved for 150 engines with no DCAT, where fuel sulphur content is less than 50ppm (UK).

Would be interested to know what brand of oil SHCM has in is rav currently.

Morris Multivis 5W30, Semi-Synthetic. CF. Also Meets A1/B1 (B1 also OK for a 150 non-DCAT) DataSheet below:

TDS Multivis 5W30.doc.pdf

All fully synthetics and semi`s are not the same...........anything with A1/B1 I would not trust in this engine,,A5/B5 is dubious???

I think you may be ok mate with that oil you've chosen, stay away from the A1/B1 and A5/B5 specs. These are tree saving rat p!ss oils :D

But not to sure yet what C2 C3 spec actually contains yet....

After 1000 miles, no measurable oil consumption. That is a B1 oil (See Morris' website). On paper both the Shell and Morris' have very similar viscosities over temperature.

Only a sample of 1, but if you want to, go figure and draw your own conclusions, but preferably not on here. Try:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

I understand why people buy a higher spec, you may well be able to get it at a bargain price, my point is that a higher spec oil might exceed what is required BUT it is not a requirement, and the higher spec MAY have a different effect on the engine. If it required a higher spec, then I have no doubt they would change the spec for this engine. The spec issued by Toyota is perfectly acceptable, there is no need to change it any more often, so that will do for me, until advised otherwise :D:

Probably sound advice.

People describe synthetic oil as "clingy", but without going into mind-numbing detail, that sort of doesn't stack up for me. To be honest, I think the whole thing is being over-simplified on here based on a little reasearch I've done, but I'm not a lubrication engineer and it's a fairly complex subject when you start reading proper scientific stuff on it.

That's the last word on it from me. I suppose I will get comments like "fix" or "so you say" :yawn:. Well, in that case, why believe anything anybody says on here??

Of couse, I suppose aliens :alien: abducted my RAV and topped up the oil in the last 1000 miles. :rolleyes:

........and put it back polished.

Thanks for posting SHCM very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Now that is very suprising about the Shell A3/B3 oil....I would not have expected that....

What is also suprising was I put a similar oil in my sisters S40, the Ford spec numbers you have on the morris oil, can't remember if it was A1 stuff or not, and that also stopped burning oil noticably.

Seems the semi synth oil has stopped your consumption? Now is this because a semi oil will always be thicker than a fully synth because it has more base oils.

Or are semi oils blended towards the thicker end of the 5w/30 scale.??

Its like asking if there is a hot 20 degrees C and a cold 20 degrees C.

So Any ideas why it didn't like the fully synth stuff?

As going from what specs it meets, it should be the better oil?

As far as I know Fully synths don't have as much actual base oils in them, they are padded out with polymers and aditives etc?

Who put the fully synth in the engine?